Spyder Garage

Default SpyderExtras Sway Bar Review

Since we ride 2-up a lot, and not small people, we have been wanting a sway bar. We saw BajaRons and one from Spyder Extras. Having some time to putter at home now, but little cash incoming I ordered the Spyder Extras, since it was like $80 cheaper.

Getting the old sway bar out went well, thanks to my cheap Harbor Freight MC lift, which JUST got the bike up the needed 22". Installing the new plastic blocks didn't go well. The blocks go into a U-frame that has curved corners. The blocks had sharp corners and would not seat fully. A razor blade was used to slice down the edges a bit and then they fit well and I could then get the long bolt through. The plastic blocks came with a tiny bit of grease, but I used a top notch lithium grease.

The new billet aluminum bearings were NOT fun at all. The old ones (and BajaRons) have a "spacer" built in to the sides of the bearing so they fit snug in the channel. These bearings came with individual spacers that you were supposed to somehow get both up into the groove and a bolt through. I wound up super gluing the spacers on. Worked well enough to get the bolt in.

Tightened up bolts, put the panels back on and was done in about 2 hours (I'm old). Went out for a test drive. First off, yes the ride was clearly far more stable in curves. I haven't been on a 1330 RT with a BajaRon sway bar though to compare. I did drive a 998 RT with a bajaron and there was no dip at all, rock solid, so not sure if this bigger frame would react the same way. Wife on the back said she doesn't feel any change, but when she drove with me on the back it was clearly handling better for her.

So now the fun part - getting a loud "POP" turning left. I jacked it up, the new rods are fine and move freely. That only leaves the sway bar in the plastic block. I compared the Spyder Extras bar to the old one, and noticed the old one was powder coated and smooth. The new one looks to be zinc plated and bumpy for some reason. Like a rough surface. Thought that was odd, being it sits in a plastic bushing. So My thinking is I forgot to grease one of the blocks - very possible, even probable. But the old one had no grease, it would get washed away in the first rainstorm. Since it is a big deal for me to get on the ground and do this all again, I'm looking to think of everything ahead of time. Have grease, razor blade, etc. I was also thinking maybe strips of sandpaper to smooth out the bar where it goes into the bushing.

Another possibility is I over tightened the bushing block bolts and am clamping the bar instead of just supporting it. I watched Pierre's great video (canamspyderaccessories.com) on sway bar installation he just put out, and he did make a point of saying just snug with locktite.

So to wrap up, yes the new Spyder Extras sway bar does work and greatly stiffens up the front end. However know that some shaving of the blocks is required when you find you can't get the bolt through them, because they are not flush with the frame at the top. And Just snug the clamp bolts - I hope that's all I did, easy fix. Also you will not install the new aluminum rods with the separate spacers unless you tape them on or super glue them on first. The channel is deep and the spacers are about 1/4" above the lip. Trying to hold the rod and TWO spacers in place while also putting in the bolt - not happening.

I do wish I got BajaRons Sway bar just for the matching rods with built in spacers. But with things as they are, cash is super tight and will be for several months it seems. I guess saving $80 or $90 was (maybe??) worth the aggravation. But it's Spring NOW and I wanna Ryde!!

Steve

Spyder Garage

I just bought the BajaRon sway bar kit for my '19 RTL and put it in last Saturday. We rode Sunday two up and yes, it's night and day difference having the BR sway bar vs. the stock OEM sway bar. The sad part............I've just been put on leave for 30 days WITH full pay....and our state just got locked down until at least the 14th of May! So my only hope of riding my new Spyder with the new sway bar is to go pick up some food (carryout/drive-up) and return home. Seriously though, I'm really not complaining at all....I want to do my part to help contain the spread of this Covid-19 virus and of course survive in the process. My retirement starts on May 1st, so I can afford to hunker down for a while and let the dust settle, so to speak!