Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Document everything until he is gone. Give him no excuse to fire you.

If you lip off that could give him a excuse to fire you.

You going to have to suck it up and dont show him that you are scared. They thrive on that!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Unless you have a contract or are in a union, they can fire you without cause/reason. They can just say you are no longer needed.

Here is what they have to say in Illinois:

https://www.chicagoemploymentlawyer....loyment-state/
    Agreed, but to clarify things -- an employee manual is considered a contract and both sides have to follow it. In my experience, a lot of employee manuals give employees certain rights even though there is no union and even though their situation would **otherwise** be employment at will. Also, if the employer is not firing you "for cause" (i.e. misconduct) they can't prevent you from getting unemployment. Having a bad internet connection never going to qualify as misconduct.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    Agreed, but to clarify things -- an employee manual is considered a contract and both sides have to follow it. In my experience, a lot of employee manuals give employees certain rights even though there is no union and even though their situation would **otherwise** be employment at will. Also, if the employer is not firing you "for cause" (i.e. misconduct) they can't prevent you from getting unemployment. Having a bad internet connection never going to qualify as misconduct.
    You are 100% correct!!!!

Spyder Garage

Have you had your cable company come out and update the box on the outside of your house? My internet got worst and worst a couple years ago. I fought it for months. They came out and put in some newer items in box {condensers is what I think he called them} He said mine were two generations old. Since then all is real good. He didn't even come in the house to check other connections. No "splitters" were hooked up at that time. When they tell you to try rebooting your Modem/Router INSIST that they come out because...well I'm sure you rebooted plenty of times already. My cable company doesn't charge for outside repairs/upgrades.

Spyder Garage

Well, he is gone. Not from the company, but from my department. My new supervisor is a reasonable, normal person. Old boss did bad mouth me to the new guy. I can only hope it won't have his desired affect.
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post
    Well, he is gone. Not from the company, but from my department. My new supervisor is a reasonable, normal person. Old boss did bad mouth me to the new guy. I can only hope it won't have his desired affect.
    In my opinion, the old guy bad-mouthing about you to the new guy without any documentation just reflects poorly upon the old guy. Any good manager will take such workplace disenchantment with a grain of salt. Give your new manager and yourself a chance to overcome the sour grapes left by the departing jerk. Reading all this thread, the problem lies with your former manager and perhaps your company recognizes that. I would breathe a sigh of relief and consider the problem gone.... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi