Spyder Garage

Default Some casual observations after (1) month

After my first 200 miles on my 2014 RT Limited:
    1.)New front (car) tires (set @ 18-20 psi)did make a significant improvement in. stability. (2.) K&N air filter helps acceleration a little bit. (3.) Tupperware panels make things quite a bit harder to make adjustments and do other maintenance. (4) Rear shock air pressure set at 40 psi made a better ride than the 20 psi that was in it when I got the RT. (5.) Parking brake does not hold well when parked up hill (small rubber chock block in trunk helps). (6.) Radio is not too user friendly.
    (7.) It takes 9 or 10 half-hour rides to really get the feel of the 3 wheel idiosyncrasies of these machines...especially after 40+ years on 2 wheelers. (8.) My RT rides much smoother, and handles much better with a passenger (my 118 lb wife) on board!?!?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You're pretty spot on redrazor. I found almost the exact same things on 14 RT. Probably the wife as a passenger is the most important attribute to the entire list.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by redrazor View Post
    After my first 200 miles on my 2014 RT Limited:
    1.)New front (car) tires (set @ 18-20 psi)did make a significant improvement in. stability. (2.) K&N air filter helps acceleration a little bit. (3.) Tupperware panels make things quite a bit harder to make adjustments and do other maintenance. (4) Rear shock air pressure set at 40 psi made a better ride than the 20 psi that was in it when I got the RT. (5.) Parking brake does not hold well when parked up hill (small rubber chock block in trunk helps). (6.) Radio is not too user friendly.
    (7.) It takes 9 or 10 half-hour rides to really get the feel of the 3 wheel idiosyncrasies of these machines...especially after 40+ years on 2 wheelers. (8.) My RT rides much smoother, and handles much better with a passenger (my 118 lb wife) on board!?!?
    From long Spyder experience .... #1- with any auto tires try 17 psi , that's all it needs ...... #2- It's all in your mind .... the Spyder computer alters any power Mod , Except changing the settings in the ECU ( see Monster Fuel a company that has great success with doing this ).....#3. _ I agree, get magnetic Mirror mounts ..... #4..... probably ..... #5 - it needs adjustment ..... #6- memorize what's in your Manual ...... #7 - even a quick study needs about 100 hrs. to begin mastering the Spyder ....... #8 - can't help with this I have never ridden with your wife just kidding , the x-tra weight in over the rear wheel changes how it will handle to some degree ..... PS ...... hope this helps you ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

The parking brake issue may be addressed via a service bulletin or similar. It is a known issue and Can Am was replacing the applicable parts.

One statement you made regarding the rear suspension pressure, why is your 2014 RT Limited not auto adjusting the rear pressure? Delivered when new, in 2014, the RTS and RTL both had a switch that allowed changing the rear pressure via the onboard air compressor.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    The parking brake issue may be addressed via a service bulletin or similar. It is a known issue and Can Am was replacing the applicable parts.

One statement you made regarding the rear suspension pressure, why is your 2014 RT Limited not auto adjusting the rear pressure? Delivered when new, in 2014, the RTS and RTL both had a switch that allowed changing the rear pressure via the onboard air compressor.
    Not sure why? I guess I should have just tried the switch to see if the compressor is working.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    From long Spyder experience .... #1- with any auto tires try 17 psi , that's all it needs ...... #2- It's all in your mind .... the Spyder computer alters any power Mod , Except changing the settings in the ECU ( see Monster Fuel a company that has great success with doing this ).....#3. _ I agree, get magnetic Mirror mounts ..... #4..... probably ..... #5 - it needs adjustment ..... #6- memorize what's in your Manual ...... #7 - even a quick study needs about 100 hrs. to begin mastering the Spyder ....... #8 - can't help with this I have never ridden with your wife just kidding , the x-tra weight in over the rear wheel changes how it will handle to some degree ..... PS ...... hope this helps you ..... Mike
    Thanks for the input, Mike. My wife and I live to far away from you for me to lend her out for testing purposes!?!

Spyder Garage

Not sure why? I guess I should have just tried the switch to see if the compressor is working.
    Just be aware that even when you're using the adjust switch on the dash, the compressor should only work when the engine is running, & I think you might need to be in gear too?! Anyone confirm that 'in gear' bit?

Thanks for the input, Mike. My wife and I live to far away from you for me to lend her out for testing purposes!?!
    Re having the Wife aboard making for some smoothness & handling changes, it's not just the extra weight back there doing that, cos anything more than about 20 pounds weight on the pillion seat will trigger the 'pillion switch' underneath the seat & that in turn triggers some changes in the ECU settings, the Nanny's responses, and some braking parameter variations! So even if you don't actually notice some/any of those 'other' changes with a pillion aboardin the normal course of events, unless that switch is disabled your Spyder will be handling & braking juuuust a little differently - all to keep you safe, of course! There again, maybe the 'feeling smoother & handling better' thing with the Missus aboard is just that you're not pushing the limits quite so much?!?

Cheers
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Absolutely yes, when in gear. My spyder always feels smoother when my wife is with me because I follow all the rules of the road and I always stay within the legal speed limit. When she's not with me.........I can't say any more here.