Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wear a Mask!

Spyder Garage

Default Wear a Mask!

We have a friend that works for the CDC. He's a scientist that works on virus's. He suggests we ALL WEAR A MASK. I know they are impossible to come by. But 2 layers of ordinary cotton will block 60% of the virus. If you are lucky to posses a "N95" mask. Wear it! Spread this to all you know! It just may save someone's life. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Interesting, Tom. Dept of Health out here says definitely don’t wear a mask unless you have contracted Corona. So many mixed messages

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

If the masks don't help anything, why are all the medical personnel who are dealing with the virus patients in the hospitals wearing them?
    Do they know something that the department of health don't know?
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Lots of information, some good, some not-so-good. The most compelling thing I've heard about wearing a mask is that it prevents you from touching your face. That makes sense to me. I live alone and don't have to contend with those short, crawling germ and virus carriers (grandkids). No one has been in my home for several months except for me. I'm not inclined to wear a mask..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

There are many patients who do not have symptoms but are contagious and wearing a mask will avoid contagion to the rest.
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

Spyder Garage

One big problem is that there are currently not enough masks to go around.

I looked up the US population # as of 2019 and they said 329 million.

Medical personnel currently are saying there are not enough masks to go around and some are using the ones they have for a week at a time.

So once again, a dilemma. I am glad that we have about 20 bandanas.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

It is not the right kind of mask, but I guess any mask is better than no mask. When I have to go to the grocery store or the feed store, I wear the masks and gloves that I had for painting and mowing. They are for dust and paint spray. May not stop a virus, but maybe slow one down. There is about a 2 month backlog even for more dust masks.

Spyder Garage

I'll shed a little light.
    N95 mask are made for the viral and adjustable to get a good seal. Some are one time use others are disposable
    The blue mask are surgical mask and are reversible. Blue side out stops germs getting in. Blue side in keeps germs in.
    Unless u have goggles on virus still can enter the eyes. N95 and surgical should be for front line responders only at this time because of shortages. You can use home made shield from bandannas. or another material. Will no- Rags will work also. A lot of people are carriers and non systematic and this will help. This will not stop virus from entering but better than nothing. As i've heard they are recommending mask for hot spot areas. God Bless and be safe

Spyder Garage

Also complications of beards & masks. What about Dust mask (or bandanna) that has been saturated
    (least decently sprayed with sanitizer. )? Also what about this ez mask at the dentist just a string with a alligator clip on either end to hold a paper towel over nose & mouth?

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Might not be a good idea to go in the bank with a bandana over your nose and mouth................

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    Might not be a good idea to go in the bank with a bandana over your nose and mouth................
    I was thinking about that. Here, it is currently drive in only...so I think we are good there.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I did see an online direction for making home made masks.

They suggested t-shirt material. Two different colors sewed together so you can keep track of the inside (contaminated) side from the outside (uncontaminated). Not perfect, but better than nothing at all.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    If the masks don't help anything, why are all the medical personnel who are dealing with the virus patients in the hospitals wearing them?
    Do they know something that the department of health don't know?
    When I work or worked in the hospital I was always in close contact with the patient; the reason you currently see many medical personnel with mask and face shields. If you keep the social distancing, there should not be a problem without the need for a mask. But, if you feel more comfortable wearing a mask, don’t forget eye protection.

Spyder Garage

A friend who has a small business making skirts for racket sports is now is making face masks just to keep her company afloat. She had a very good response from buyers so far as lot of colors were sold out. Good to support a small business

facewearfashions.com

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wearing a mask is easier than coughing in your elbow. You don't have to wear a mask like we see the hospital workers wear. We only need to wear something that will block a sneeze or cough like your elbow. AS mentioned, we might not have any symptoms but we could be positive so wearing something over the nose and mouth will keep OTHERS safe. I'm getting some Buff headbands and Bandanas. Even one of these will do. The more comfortable it is, the more you'll wear it.

1AF7A826-E4B5-4CAC-82FD-3E0E61414DD1_4_5005_c.jpeg
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Wife is making some masks now also. Two layers of cotton. Can be increased to three layers. Found the pattern online. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Mask

Thanks for the Tips on the Masks. Remember to be Safe and Stay Healthy. ......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    When I work or worked in the hospital I was always in close contact with the patient; the reason you currently see many medical personnel with mask and face shields. If you keep the social distancing, there should not be a problem without the need for a mask. But, if you feel more comfortable wearing a mask, don’t forget eye protection.
    .... imho wearing a mask mostly helps everyone else, adding the eye protection is what will help you ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

The recent turn around in regard to the general population wearing masks is that they can help stop the spread of virus from people who are infected but may not know it. As we get more experience with this disease, they are finding that some folks can be mostly asymptomatic yet still be a carrier and of course in the spring time we have all this pollen which makes people sneeze and cough and spread droplets into the air.

Unless you are wearing an N95 mask that has been fitted for a tight seal (no beards) then you are not blocking the virus from entering your lungs which is where it wants to go to replicate. Surgical masks and home made masks and bandannas will stop you from spreading, but wont stop you from inhaling virus particles if they happen to be floating by. You see lots of RN's and Docs on the news lately wearing surgical masks, but that is because they have nothing else to wear. Only the N95 masks or respirators with fine enough filtration will filter out the virus particles.

And if you are in a store shopping or filling up gas, wear some sort of gloves and dispose of them properly when you are done. That will keep you from picking up any virus on your hands. Hopefully having gloves on is also a signal not to touch your face, which is a hard thing for most folks to learn not to do. Lots of us have disposable gloves from HF which will work very well. And of course wash your hands as often as possible.
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eviltwin View Post
    And if you are in a store shopping or filling up gas, wear some sort of gloves and dispose of them properly when you are done.
    The local news last night showed the area around a local gas station. You would have thought it was overflow from a dumpster at a hospital. Gloves and masks lying on the ground everywhere. Seems that a lot of people did not follow the directions to "dispose of them properly".

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't leave home without it.......and stay six feet away from everyone else! This will also get you first in line and a seat on any bus.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-STOCk-Wa....c100012.m1985

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Don't leave home without it.......and stay six feet away from everyone else! This will also get you first in line and a seat on any bus.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-STOCk-Wa....c100012.m1985
    The company would issue them when we worked in the chemical plants.

Spyder Garage

You are 100 percent right also I talked to a DR that rides with me ,and he explained that if you do not wear the N95 mask and wear anything else you could catch the virus easier , because it does not filter it and will just **** in it and you will just keep breathing it in. So no mask might be better than anything other than the N95 one

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is he suggesting we all go naked? That would certainly keep most all of us six feet away from one another, or even further. Ah.........that could work.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mcalva View Post
    There are many patients who do not have symptoms but are contagious and wearing a mask will avoid contagion to the rest.
    No, they won’t avoid contagion to the rest just because they are wearing a mask, mcalva. The advice from both the National and State Chief Medical Officers out here (and elsewhere) say that if you are wearing a mask, but aren’t yet showing symptoms even though you have the virus and are contagious, you will be constantly fiddling with the mask which puts the contagion on your hands and spreads it just as effectively as those not wearing a mask in the same condition. The mask simply gives YOU a false sense of confidence.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red