Spyder Garage

Default Garmin or Tom Tom ?

I am looking at buying a new GPS for my 2013 STS. Any preferences on Garmin features verses Tom Tom. We are going to Colorado this summer and want one that will guide us thru the mountain roads. Thanks Joel.
    2013 STS , OEM Circuit Yellow

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Garmin

I have used the Garmin GPS Units for 15+ years.
    Found them to be very reliable. Be sure and get one with 'LT' life time updates.
    Good Luck on your Mission. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I just bought a new Garmin XT and of course they have the Lifetime Maps. The big difference for me though, is the older Garmins with the lifetime maps feature, you had to use the "Garmin Express" software and actually hook the GPS unit up to the computer that had Garmin Express installed on it. With the new Garmin XT, it automatically updates via you home WiFi or whatever WiFi you have access to. To me, this is a very nice feature and the XT has a nice size screen also..5.5" and a ton of other features. I vote for the Garmin.

Spyder Garage

I've had Garmins for longer than I can remember and I've never been disappointed. I have the Garmin XT and ditto everything that Triplethreat said.
    Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Another vote for Garmin. They really seem to have it together, and have for as long as I've used them. Bias? Yes, but I've never owned anything else to compare. I also agree with the newer ones being top notch. I have a 396 LT and like the fact that I can just turn it on and let it update on my home wifi. I do like to upload routes to it though, and that still requires a cable with the program I use. (MyRoute App) That's a whole different can of worms though.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Garmin.
    IMG_0744.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yet another vote for Garmin, but I will admit that it's an uninformed decision. I have never used a Tom Tom or anything else besides a Garmin. Have been using Garmins for 15+ years and have appreciated all the updates in technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    I do like to upload routes to it though, and that still requires a cable with the program I use. (MyRoute App) That's a whole different can of worms though.
    I enjoy planning a tour, as well. I also use my GPS for daily tracking of miles traveled so I can get an accurate number of miles for reimbursement from work. Some of the newer Garmin units require talking to your computer with BaseCamp, which is not very friendly for the way I keep track of miles, so I have an older Nuvi model that allows me to use Map Source. Garmin no longer supports Map Source, but it still work fine. As long as it still works, I will keep using it.

Spyder Garage

Throw another log on the Garmin pile; I use a Zumo 590 on the Spyder and a Nuvi in my old cage mini-van.

If you are going through CO, by all means get a Butler motorcycle map for the state, https://www.butlermaps.com/motorcycl.../colorado-map/. It has many of the most popular and scenic routes in the state and is waterproof. If you have any experience with Garmin BaseCamp you can create routes in it from the Butler map and download them to your Garmin GPS. I spent a week last summer riding many of the Butler routes and had a blast. Don't hesitate to PM me if you'd care to pick my brain about my trip.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Garmin 660LM-------- Had it for at least 5 years, works perfect.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Ok, I'll buck the trend. I have a Tomtom Rider 400. Works great, 35,000 miles on it in 3 years

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Re TomTom: Don't those two mallets get in the way when you are not sending messages?

Sorry...I just could not resist that.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

OK, you couple of XT owners. Can you use the included USB/mini USB cable as a power cord/charger while on the bike? Or is it a data read only cable for the computer ? I'm also guessing a standard Garmin 12v gps plug/cord would also work ? Don't really plan on hard wiring it as I use one of these ...
    Attached Images Attached Images

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I've had a Garmin 660 for years and a Nuvi in the truck. The Nuvi is really old and doesn't have lifetime maps but I just scored a 660lm off the goldwing forum for 140.00. Came with everything so now I have all I need for all the rolling stock.

Spyder Garage

I just installed a new Garmin 396 on my 2013 STS. The bluetooth is great. Pairs easily with my SENA SMH10 headset.
    I'm still working on mastering all the nuances of the optional software package installed on the cell phone.
    Has lifetime maps and is easy to update. The screen display is bright and clear even in bright daylight.
    No complaints.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you have a smartphone you can get TomTom app for $40 To bad Garmin took their app off as many want the free Waze or Google Maps.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I have a few Garmin automotive units and the Spyder has the 660lm.

Sadly, even with current updates our Garmins get worse and worse about making navigation mistakes. Very discouraging to follow the Garmin directions only to not be at your destination and must use a cell phone and Google Maps or similar to finally get there.

No experience with any of the Tom Tom devices.

Simply shop wisely. At this time, I do not have a best answer.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the reply's. I will look into the Garmin line since it's seems to be the most popular choice. I have plenty of time to do my research. Thanks again. Joel
    2013 STS , OEM Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Can't speak for tom tom but i am quite happy with garmin

Spyder Garage

This is a question from a non garmin or tom tom user. In my car I only use my google maps, so what is advantage of using something else on the bike. I am getting a Ryker when all this virus stuff is over so I wonder am I missing something. I do have garmin in my plane but that is another story.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Farm23 View Post
    This is a question from a non garmin or tom tom user. In my car I only use my google maps, so what is advantage of using something else on the bike. I am getting a Ryker when all this virus stuff is over so I wonder am I missing something. I do have garmin in my plane but that is another story.
    If you use google on your phone and want to get a good phone holder and use it that is fine. Pros and cons to everything. But it will work fine if that's what you like. I have a Garmin that has a bigger screen and more glove friendly then a phone.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 04-03-2020 at 09:17 AM.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    If you use google on your phone and want to get a good phone holder and use it that is fine. Pros and cons to everything. But it will work fine if that's what you like. I have a Garmin that has a bigger screen and more glove friendly then a phone.
    Another huge advantage to using GPS vs. cellphone and Google, beside the things mentioned above. Google requires cell service to constantly keep the maps updating as you travel (unless you download the area to your phone before travel). If you don't download AND you travel in a place that has sketchy cell service or a weak signal or something less than 4G....you will lose the ability to keep getting your location and travel directions.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by triplethreat View Post
    Another huge advantage to using GPS vs. cellphone and Google, beside the things mentioned above. Google requires cell service to constantly keep the maps updating as you travel (unless you download the area to your phone before travel). If you don't download AND you travel in a place that has sketchy cell service or a weak signal or something less than 4G....you will lose the ability to keep getting your location and travel directions.
    TT, do you know the answer to my question in post #12 ? Thanks

** Got my answer from Garmin. The included USB/mini USB cable is data read only. Any prior Garmin automotive 12V plug/cable will power it up on the bike. You need the traffic type cord for traffic updates. **

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Ok I can see a bigger screen and easier to use with gloves worthwhile.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    TT, do you know the answer to my question in post #12 ? Thanks

** Got my answer from Garmin. The included USB/mini USB cable is data read only. Any prior Garmin automotive 12V plug/cable will power it up on the bike. You need the traffic type cord for traffic updates. **
    Oops.....I missed that question in #12! I plan on doing one of two things. 1. Remove the left side panel and tap into the provided accessory wiring that comes off of Fuse#6 and then on to the base of the provided mount...or... 2. Buy an Anker 15,000 maH USB battery pack to provide either charging power or operating power to the XT. More than likely I will go the route of running power up to the base and leave it setup to that the power is switched on when the key is on.

Spyder Garage

have one of each, prefer the Garmin.
    American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of GOD.

The Older I get the Better I Was.