Spyder Garage

Default Comfort seat mix up

We picked up my wife’s new 2020 RT Limited up last week. We ordered the bike stock with the addition of the comfort seat, shorter bars, rider backrest and the lower front accessory light. After putting a few miles on it Penny said the seat felt uncomfortable and the back rest seemed to be located in the wrong place (too far back).

I contacted the dealer and questioned the seat problem only to find out that they never installed the seat we ordered. Apparently it was still sitting in the service department and someone forgot to install it. So they say they will replace it when she brings it in for the first service.

The seat on the bike is marked ‘Limited’. Since that seat was on it when delivered, I told them I would take it and sell it on line when the new Comfort seat was installed. The dealer’s reaction to that idea was somewhat negative.

Is my assumption correct? Since we paid the $909 for the heated Comfort seat, don’t we now own both seats? They were wanting to just put the Limited seat back into their parts department.

I don’t want to start a war here. Is there something wrong with my logic?

Pennyrick
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

That's correct. BRP doesn't change out anything. You have to buy the new parts. Make sure you keep the old parts. Unless, of course, you weren't charged for the upgrades.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Nothing wrong I can see?!?

You paid for the Spyder that comes WITH a seat, AND you paid an EXTRA $909 for the Comfort seat, so AFAICSee, you should own both seats - unless the dealer wants to re-imburse you the listed retail price for the stock seat?!?

As for them putting the 'stock' Limited seat back into their parts dept, what a crock!! How many people have you ever heard of who 'upgrade' from one stock seat to another stock seat? That's just not gonna happen!! That seat wasn't going back into the parts dept; someone who works at the dealers wanted a cheap replacement seat or is trying to 'upgrade' a std RT so that it looks like a Limited, and they planned on doing it at YOUR expense!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-01-2020 at 02:40 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

+2. It’s not a build to order thing. The heated comfort seat is an accessory in the catalog, just like any other accessory is. So, just like if you ordered the seat on your own later. It replaces the stock seat. You own both seats because you’ve paid for both seats.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Both seats are yours unless the deal you made states other wise. Is the first service at 3000 miles? He wants you to wait until then?
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I would go pick up the seat NOW. That way, it will not come up missing. And yes, you paid for the one that came with the bike and for the extra one as well. You now own two seats.

I see red flags coming from the dealer.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Not sure how far you are from your dealer, but I would have someone follow you with a vehicle and when you get to the dealer take the seat off, toss it in the vehicle and tell them to put the seat YOU PAID FOR on the bike. OR, take the seat off at home, load the bike on a trailer, and take it to the dealer for seat replacement. You own both seats the way I see it. I HATE crooked dealers. Oh, and I wouldn't be waiting for the first service either....take that sucker back now and get what you paid for. You wouldn't drive a truck off the lot without a box on it, Or a car without a hood....?
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Go get your seat NOW! before it goes missing.

T.P.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all your responses.

I hope I didn’t denigrate our dealer. We bought her last three Spyders there and prior to that I purchased 7 two-wheelers. They have seen a lot of turnover in staff and we don’t know the new people very well. They are polite but always seem to be too rushed to spend a lot of time with us.

Could be that is just me getting past 80.

Pennyrick
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

YUP! Both seats are yours. Unless he offers to buy it from you. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Was your seat being traded in to offset labor costs for install on the new booty warmer?
    Better it worked out this way. You were able to discover your dealer was less than honest with you.
    Where would your original seat have gone? Would you have thought of it during delivery with all the excitement?
    And they charged you retail....
    https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemc...RoCXckQAvD_BwE

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I also thought the back rests were different between the stock seats and the comfort seats???? (unless that changed on the 2020 models)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by carbonation View Post
    Was your seat being traded in to offset labor costs for install on the new booty warmer?
    Better it worked out this way. You were able to discover your dealer was less than honest with you.
    Where would your original seat have gone? Would you have thought of it during delivery with all the excitement?
    And they charged you retail....
    https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemc...RoCXckQAvD_BwE
    It’s all good now. The dealer has agree to let me pick up the new seat and retain it until they can install after they reopen once the Georgia stay closed period ends at the end of April. The local Sheriff closed down the dealership yesterday.

I think the dispute was a difference of opinion between the parts manager and the sales manager. I negotiated the deal at an OTD price with accessories included but their counter offer asked that I pay the labor cost to add the accessories and I agreed. Apparently the parts manager thought he would the get the factory seat to re-sell at the retail price of $460.00, thus improving his profit margin.

His argument was like a 2020 Mustang being sold with factory mounted wheels and tires but the customer adding custom wheels mounted with Pirelli zeros. In that case I guess the parts department gets the factory items to put in stock. In our case the sales manager won.

Once we get back on the road I will offer the factory Limited, heated seat for sale on this site.

Pennyrick

Spyder Garage

Thanks... I’ll have to check that out.

Pennyrick

Spyder Garage

If you're happy, then we should all be happy. Glad you came to an agreement and saved the relationship
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

However, if your partner feels the standard seat is too far back, (I note she has accessory bars to bring them closer to the seat.) the comfort seat will move her 2" further back than the standard one. You might want to rethink that.
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PinkRosePetal View Post
    However, if your partner feels the standard seat is too far back, (I note she has accessory bars to bring them closer to the seat.) the comfort seat will move her 2" further back than the standard one. You might want to rethink that.
    Thanks.

I think her primary complaint was that the driver backrest seemed to be too laid back to provide any real back support. We’ll just have to play with some adjustments once the seat we ordered is in place. The corona virus problems added to the dealer not installing what we ordered has really combined to make this purchase seem like an ordeal.

Pennyrick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pennyrick View Post
    Thanks.
    The corona virus problems added to the dealer not installing what we ordered has really combined to make this purchase seem like an ordeal.
    Pennyrick
    Yeah, when you buy a lot of bikes it has to go a bit sour once in a while. Great to hear they sorted it for you

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Yeah, when you buy a lot of bikes it has to go a bit sour once in a while. Great to hear they sorted it for you

Pete
    Your response got me to thinking...
    1974- Honda CB 360 (2 of them)
    1978- Suzuki GS 1000 (2 of them)
    1982- Honda Aspencade (just mine)
    1987- Yamaha 1100 (only me)
    1999- Honda Valkyrie (back to Honda’s)
    2002 - Honda 1800 ( had it triked)
    2009 - Suzuki Burgman (Penny back on bike after accident in ‘79)
    2010 - Spyder RT SE5 (power steering sold her on Spyder after losing use of right arm)
    2011 - Spyder RT SM5 (I joined her Spyder fetish but had to shift my own)
    2012- Spyder RT Limiteds (2 of them)
    2020- Spyder RT Limited (Penny’s reward after beating cancer in 2016)

That is a bunch of bikes.

Pennyrick

Spyder Garage

I am thinking with PRP,comfort seat moves you back.H ave you looked for an adjustment screw on the backrest?The BRP rest on my 18 has one and the rest angle changes quite a bit with minimal input.