Spyder Garage

Default Wind noise from mic solved

Have been having wind noise from my wife's mic on her Sena SMH10, then her SPH10H-FM (riding 2 up). I thought that it was the boom location after trying different firmware and software settings. Even tried different windsocks. Turns out that the mic has holes on both sides so the wind was picked up by the front. Got out the duct tape and taped the front of the mic and put the sock back over it. No more wind noise even at highway speeds. Hope this helps someone else out if they run into the same problem. Sorry the pic isn't the sharpest but you get the idea.

Also make sure the noise cancelling function is enabled.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Do you have the foam windsock over microphone? That usually handles the wind.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Do you have the foam windsock over microphone? That usually handles the wind.
    Yup, even tried different wind socks, one from a Bose aviation mic. Just removed the sock to show duct tape cover. Sock should help keep it in place.
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RapidSpyder View Post
    Have been having wind noise from my wife's mic on her Sena SMH10, then her SPH10H-FM (riding 2 up). I thought that it was the boom location after trying different firmware and software settings. Even tried different windsocks. Turns out that the mic has holes on both sides so the wind was picked up by the front. Got out the duct tape and taped the front of the mic and put the sock back over it. No more wind noise even at highway speeds. Hope this helps someone else out if they run into the same problem. Sorry the pic isn't the sharpest but you get the idea.

If you go into configuration and shut off VOX, you will not have the problem. Instead of voice (or wind) activation, you push the jog dial and it goes into intercom. Push again and it is out of intercom. Drove me crazy till I got it figured out. Also, go into Sena device manager and shut off VOX.

Spyder Garage

Found out that it has to be done on the unit itself. Posted the step by step instructions on another post after talking to customer service. Still having wind noise during crosswinds along with popping when 3 of us are connected.

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

We went the expensive route... all new helmets that have the chin "curtain"/guard... basically a thing that covers the opening between the chin of the helmet and your neck. That blocks the wind very well....
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jwulf74 View Post
    We went the expensive route... all new helmets that have the chin "curtain"/guard... basically a thing that covers the opening between the chin of the helmet and your neck. That blocks the wind very well....
    Yeah my son seems to have less of a problem when his modular is in full face mode then when it is flipped up. I use a 3/4 and my wife has a half helmet which gives the most problem.

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

That's an idea! I'm gonna try that! I'll let you know how it works...
    Bill W

2019 F3 LTD

Spyder Garage

One other thing to try, those button mics that come with the Sena work real well. My wife and I have them adhered to the inside of our helmets and they are out of the wind but pickup communication great. I’ve got an extra set of the boom mics that I’d be happy to swap with anyone for their button mics by the way.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 40Xshooter View Post
    That's an idea! I'm gonna try that! I'll let you know how it works...
    Didn’t solve completely, we still get wind noise in a strong crosswind, but I think it helped. Next summer, Cardo...

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Didn’t solve completely, we still get wind noise in a strong crosswind, but I think it helped. Next summer, Cardo...
    Let us know what you think of them!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Well I couldn’t wait and went ahead and got the Palktalk Bold. Only had it a few days but what a difference! Audio is very clear, no clicking or static. Any wind noise is gone after a few seconds. On our rides in the Hills communication was still clear at distances where the Sena would have static. Even held conversation out of sight when going around corners. If it did lose connection, it was reestablished as soon as line of sight was regained. Can have music playing in the background which lowers the volume when talking. Wish I would have got these in the 1st place.

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

The microphones on the Sena units are noise cancelling. That means that there is a pickup that faces into the wind and a second pickup on the opposite side that picks up your voice.
    There is a marker on the microphone that should be pointed "out" away from your mouth and into the wind for the noise cancelling function.
    Is it possible you have the microphone rotated backwards ? That would pick up the wind and cancel the voice instead of vice versa.
    It's REALLY easy to make this mistake.
    Don't ask me why I know HOW easy it is....................................

Capture Microphone.jpg
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    The microphones on the Sena units are noise cancelling. That means that there is a pickup that faces into the wind and a second pickup on the opposite side that picks up your voice.
    There is a marker on the microphone that should be pointed "out" away from your mouth and into the wind for the noise cancelling function.
    Is it possible you have the microphone rotated backwards ? That would pick up the wind and cancel the voice instead of vice versa.
    It's REALLY easy to make this mistake.
    Don't ask me why I know HOW easy it is....................................
    Ya there's a little tab that's suppose to be pointing toward you, take your finger, you'll feel it at the base of the mic. The mic on my wife's helmet wants to turn by it's self, drives me crazy, it's like it got assembled 180 out!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Mine were the SMH 10’s. Had noise canceling feature enabled and the mics the right way, even tried covering the the outside facing port with duct tape.

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey