Spyder Garage

Default Making handicap accessible (relocating the shifter)

Greetings spyder lovers! I was tasked with making an ST-S accessible to a person without the use of his left hand. On his previous spyder, we were able to simply swap the left and right handlebar controls, and he was able to shift with his throttle hand. This one is a little more complicated.

My idea, is to install the manual shifter and linkage, allowing him to continue to use the automatic clutch. I can fabricate whatever brackets are necessary to mount it, as well as a custom linkage to allow both the manual shifter and the solenoid shifter. I know that the manual version (with the clutch) has different software, but my theory is that since there is a gear position sensor that it would work. I tested my theory by having the bike running in neutral, and pushed the linkage to put it in gear. There were no errors.

My other idea was to intercept the wiring for the + and - paddles and fabricate a switch near the throttle.

Any thoughts? Am I nuts? Has anyone done anything similar?

PS If anyone could post pics of a manual shifter that would be awesomesauce!!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I can't help you but I would like to thank you for your efforts in doing this ...... Mike