Spyder Garage

Default 3000 Mile Service 2020 Spyder RT

Holy cow! I asked my dealership how much for the first 3000 mile service. They told me $615. I think that is crazy. I really do not like those Allen and Torque screws for the oil drain plugs. I ordered the socketed ones from LaMonster and will do all my own service just like do with my Goldwing Trike. I was thinking is should closer to $200 or maybe even $250. But $615?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jredman View Post
    Holy cow! I asked my dealership how much for the first 3000 mile service. They told me $615. I think that is crazy. I really do not like those Allen and Torque screws for the oil drain plugs. I ordered the socketed ones from LaMonster and will do all my own service just like do with my Goldwing Trike. I was thinking is should closer to $200 or maybe even $250. But $615?
    J.
    most dealer use the excuse: I HAVE TO REMOVE ALL THE TUPERWEAR for charging TOP DOLLAR.... that's BS in most every1's book... i buy the GOLD PLUGS for my 1st oil change, and do ALL maintenance on my own, and have for the past 10 yrs of owning my 3 SPYD3Rs.... that's half the fun of owning 1 of these toyz..... my suggestion is to contact Ron @ BAJA RONS, and order your needed parts from him... then do the work yourself and you'll save thousands of $$$$ over the years of ownership....
    good luck, and if you should need any help, just PM me or any of the other OLD-TIMERS on this website for advise....
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    J.
    most dealer use the excuse: I HAVE TO REMOVE ALL THE TUPERWEAR for charging TOP DOLLAR.... that's BS in most every1's book... i buy the GOLD PLUGS for my 1st oil change, and do ALL maintenance on my own, and have for the past 10 yrs of owning my 3 SPYD3Rs.... that's half the fun of owning 1 of these toyz..... my suggestion is to contact Ron @ BAJA RONS, and order your needed parts from him... then do the work yourself and you'll save thousands of $$$$ over the years of ownership....
    good luck, and if you should need any help, just PM me or any of the other OLD-TIMERS on this website for advise....
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R
    Thanks, I have already ordered the new drain plugs from LaMonster. They are the Show Chrome ones. I have always done all my own work. Just thought I would check with them to see how much it was. I have already pulled the plastic pin on the Brake Master Cylinder and then simple to get at the oil Filter. I even got it back on. Which I thought would be the most challenging. Going to wait and change oil until I get the socketed drain plugs.

Spyder Garage

I just had the 600 mile service, it cost $188.
    Oil and filter change and checking every single thing on the bike.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have no problems with my stock drain plugs. I have dont several oil changes on my own with no problems..Even switched over to a new style drain seal that JCthorne recommended on a thread.

Anyway good luck!

Oil and filter for me is under 75 bucks.

Spyder Garage

My dealer quoted me $281 for the first service. I always have the dealer do the first one, then my hubby does everything after that.
    2020 RTL SE6 Asphalt Grey
    2014 RT SE6, Pearl White 57k (2014-2020)
    2008 GS Premier 17k (2012-2014)

Spyder Garage

$350 or so is usually the going rate for that first oil change service. First service is recommended at 3,000.

No idea why they would almost double the price. I thought the new 2020's were much easier to work on.

Last edited by ARtraveler; 04-01-2020 at 10:29 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

First service is at 3000 miles. Every 9300 after that, or, annually.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My dealer in Eustis FL says a little over $300 at 3K miles, after that, maybe I'll do the oil change, maybe not. I would be using full size ramps, so I'm unsure if all the oil would drain in that position. Maybe the little that's left in the sump would not matter, just a bit unsure of this self service.

Spyder Garage

Bill, the ramps are fine. We do recommend you get the first service done at a dealership. As they put the vin in the system, and make sure everything is ok. If you want to change the oil yourself, that will save you some money.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

I did all my own service. I can tell you that the Allen drain plug is impeded by the brake bar underneath. You can not get a straight angle on it. Going in at an angle is how I was able to strip it. I had to chisel it out. I did order some socketed drain plugs, will be here today. The Star torque came out just fine. Getting the Brake Master Cylinder off was not bad. You will need some really long bent needle nose pliers to reach way back and pull the black PVC tube that holds it on. Then lift up and pops right out. I removed the sensors, easy to do that. I moved it over if off to the left and it held there. Can get to to oil filter easy after that. Takes a little patience to get that pin back in. I think after a few oil changes you will need to replace it. I am hoping I can just go to Lowes and find some tiny PCV that will work.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    There is no 600 mile oil change in the maintenance schedule.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    There is no 600 mile oil change in the maintenance schedule.
    I believe there was on the 990cc's...............

Spyder Garage

come up to Spyderpops in Pearcy Arkansas and he can do it for $165 + Tax.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderman2018 View Post
    I believe there was on the 990cc's...............
    The 600 mile "break-in" service was back in the days of the 990-998 twins. Remember those?

The jury is out on dealers who still perform or suggest a 600 mile service for the 1330 triples.

Are they uninformed, or are they mercenary?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

or are they predators???

Only the shadow knows

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

My stealership says there is no 600 miles service.
    Some people are like Slinkies good for nothing but fun when tossed down the stairs

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mrwog View Post
    My stealership says there is no 600 miles service.
    Correct. Not on the 1330 motor, anyway.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Just curious what is ACTUALLY done by dealers during the 3000 miles service? Is there a list somewhere or is this all a "mistery" that only high price dealers are allowed to know? Putting your VIN number into the BRP system should had been done during the purchase process according to a BRP rep I spoke to last week, and an Oil change including the two filters ( if they are present on your model) should not cost 600 bucks! Other than inspection and looking it over there is nothing else to do. I guess.

Spyder Garage

Check your owners manual. Should call for 6000 service and 9300 intervals thereafter.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer51 View Post
    Just curious what is ACTUALLY done by dealers during the 3000 miles service? Is there a list somewhere or is this all a "mistery" that only high price dealers are allowed to know? Putting your VIN number into the BRP system should had been done during the purchase process according to a BRP rep I spoke to last week, and an Oil change including the two filters ( if they are present on your model) should not cost 600 bucks! Other than inspection and looking it over there is nothing else to do. I guess.
    In our manuals. I did everything in about an hour, including the oil change.

FIRST Inspection - 5 000 km (3,000 mi)
    Perform all items indicated in the PRE-RIDE INSPECTION.
    Replace engine oil and oil filter.
    MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE
    Check brake fluid level.
    Check reverse mechanism operation.
    Check engine coolant level.
    Check operation of control switches and passenger switches.
    Check the drive belt condition and its tension (Performed by an authorized
    Can-Am On-Road dealer).
    Check tightening torque of the rear wheel axle nut. (Performed by an authorized
    Can-Am On-Road dealer)
    Visually check brake pads and discs condition.
    Check passenger handholds looseness.
    Check footrests looseness.
    Check body panels looseness.
    Check operation of storage compartment latches, hinges and key barrels

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    There is no oil change due at 600 miles. Did not hurt the bike to do one, but there was no requirement.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    My dealer in Eustis FL says a little over $300 at 3K miles, after that, maybe I'll do the oil change, maybe not. I would be using full size ramps, so I'm unsure if all the oil would drain in that position. Maybe the little that's left in the sump would not matter, just a bit unsure of this self service.
    Put the front wheels on ramp and you can access all the plugs (at least on my 2011) I ordered the filters and drain plug gaskets all included for like $35 bucks form Lamonster garage on line. I did not use the HCR filter because mine is Standars transmission so it does not have one. I purchased the Synthtic oil at Cycle Gear for like $24 per gallon it took me while to remove the parts and get it all tested and reassembled but I am retired so I can take all the time I need. There was one plug under the Oil reservoir that I was not able to remove (overtightened at the factory I guess) so I removed the one on the side of the tank that pretty much drains everything out. It worked out fine. and No, I would not pay a bunch of money to a dealer just to do the same stuff. I have a general mistrust of most cars and motorcycle dealers so i am old school and work on my own stuff since I have most tools anyway. At least I know it was done to my Standards and not to the least experienced member in the dealership crew.