Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

It's good that you are planning well in advance. There are so many great rides and places to see that a person could spend years going from one jaw-dropping place to another. As you can see from my signature map, I have toured the western U.S. My touring has been from one to 7 weeks each year over the last 40 years. All the above suggestions are excellent. You just have to pick and choose what fits your schedule and desires. I am partial to water and boating so a couple of rides you might consider are from Anacortes, WA. From there, you can take the Ferry to Sidney, BC and do a little touring on Vancouver Island including Victoria (think England). From Victoria you can take another ferry (the Coho) to Port Angeles, WA and coutinue touring Washington State. Or, from Anacortes take the ferry to San Juan Island for a day tour of that very historic island. Be sure to save time for lunch at Roche Harbor resort. A bit spendy but worth every penny. If you don't do the Sidney trip, from Anacortes you can go south across the bridge to Whidbey Island where you can catch another ferry to Port Townsend and continue touring Washington. So many choices, so little time. Keep us posted..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I want to thank the OP for asking this question. Now at 59 I have been blessed with a wife who travels well, as long as she doest have to take I10 from San Antonio to Tucson EVER AGAIN.
    We have traveled from Va to Maine, KeyWest, and what most people on here are talking about. Points West, the last 3 years we have spent at least 10 weeks each year LOOPING the country. And reading above location has me feeling very sad about this years C19. If one went to google and planned trip with above listed location you would have a awesome trip but well over 7 weeks.
    Apex Nc. is pretty close to us and our past travel routes. But I like to spend more time SEEING and less time getting to the points I wish to stay and visit. We do travel by motorhome but even last years loop was 6900 miles driving MOTORHOME plus our 3200 miles on spyder. We traveled as much as 1000 miles a DAY in motorhome to earn back as much time as possible back on the bike.
    I would jump on I40 sent cruise control at speed limit and relax and enjoy the ride, other than few larger cities its really a good drive. Memphis is great city for couple days after that Albuquerque starts the really fun part. (Memphis to Albq. that 1000 miles stated above.) go on bing map start from home
    https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=49edd...=2&form=S00027

look at route closely YOU will see many places GREEN along this route
    We will be heading that way again in 2021 as well....
    2012 , java

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jerrydonna View Post
    I want to thank the OP for asking this question. Now at 59 I have been blessed with a wife who travels well, as long as she doest have to take I10 from San Antonio to Tucson EVER AGAIN.
    We have traveled from Va to Maine, KeyWest, and what most people on here are talking about. Points West, the last 3 years we have spent at least 10 weeks each year LOOPING the country. And reading above location has me feeling very sad about this years C19. If one went to google and planned trip with above listed location you would have a awesome trip but well over 7 weeks.
    Apex Nc. is pretty close to us and our past travel routes. But I like to spend more time SEEING and less time getting to the points I wish to stay and visit. We do travel by motorhome but even last years loop was 6900 miles driving MOTORHOME plus our 3200 miles on spyder. We traveled as much as 1000 miles a DAY in motorhome to earn back as much time as possible back on the bike.
    I would jump on I40 sent cruise control at speed limit and relax and enjoy the ride, other than few larger cities its really a good drive. Memphis is great city for couple days after that Albuquerque starts the really fun part. (Memphis to Albq. that 1000 miles stated above.) go on bing map start from home
    https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=49edd...=2&form=S00027

look at route closely YOU will see many places GREEN along this route
    We will be heading that way again in 2021 as well....

Add Cody Wy, cant miss Bear tooth, or 296 to cody. I would drive from Va to Cody than back home JUST FOR THAT
    2012 , java

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey, my friend, I’m saddened to hear of the loss of the loved one. You definitely ryde with a rowdy, spirited group group of Ladies and Gentlemen. In my Spyder life I’ve been blessed to romp around the Smokies with you guys, as well as travel over tens of thousands of miles around the USA and Canada. Last year was an 11K mile journey, roughly following Lewis and Clark’s trail to the Pacific, the Pacific Coast Highway, and Route 66, back east, with tons of side routes and my usual wanderings.
    I learned a long time ago, I can’t see it all, for a number of reasons. As all the previous posters have suggested great ideas. In the end, plan a route which includes what you think you want to see, expect some surprises, and just go!
    I am planning another epic journey west later this year of about 16K miles and who knows how many weeks. God and the virus will dictate whether it happens.
    All the best to you.
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Spyder Garage

Hwy 12 in UT and Moab. Plenty of Nat Parks. Almost anywhere out West.

Spyder Garage

So sorry for your loss!
    I've noticed no one has really said anything about Iowa. Im in Iowa and the places I would suggest are the caves in north eastern Iowa. Okoboji is in the northwest part of the state and I love it up there.
    Check out lake Michigan and Lake Superior if you get up to wisconsin/minnesota.
    Nebraska...not much to see there.
    Missouri: Lake of the ozarks
    Arizona: Sedona 100%. By far my favorite place in the world that Ive been to!
    California: San Deigo

Those are my inputs! Good luck and if you happen to get to Southwest Iowa, get ahold of me and I could ride along for a bit if you need the company! I also have a twelve year old and a ten year old, one of which may tag along!
    2019 Rally , Yellow and black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Thank you all so much for your responses. I had no idea that I would get so much great information so soon. I will be going back to read over each one of them later this week (possibly tonight). One question that I have is about a time to leave. I was thinking about leaving in late spring and hoping that it will not be too hot in the southern areas. While at the same time, I would like to know that the trip across the northern areas would not have me snowed in for the return trip.
    Again, thanks again for all the information.
    My experience is that it gets hot here sooner then later. You are safe after the middle of April to begin your trip out here to the Southwest. Maybe hit NM and AZ first then zig zag north to Colorado and Utah before you head for California. That way you wont hit the real hot weather in the lower southwest and by the time you finish down there (well you really can't but lets pretend) it will be a little warmer up north. All the passes in Utah will be open, and most of them in Colorado. On your way to California do Death Valley. You will be on the edge of the season there but you should be ok heatwise. I love San Diego so be sure to start your northward trek down there. There is never a bad time to ride in California. If you have the time go all the way north to Oregon and Washington. Coming east Coeur de Laine is amazing as is Lolo pass, Beartooth Pass(may not be open yet) Chief Joseph Highway, Cody Wy. is a must see (Buffalo Bill Wild West Museum), then 14 out of Greybull over the Granit Pass to Alt14. Then you can just go crazy trying to figure how you want to go. Too many roads, so little time. I have not said much about Utah. I live here and it would take me another Looooooooong post to tell you about here. When you get to Utah, depending on timing, I'll show you some little known roads to nowhere that are great. Have a great trip, practice your blogging skills to keep us posted. Lots of pictures both for yourself and us. We really are hungry to hear and see others adventures. Check out "Itchy Boots" on YouTube for Vblog ideas.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good comment Paul,Itchy Boots is real winner, love reading her blogs.