Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Just Died

As I pulled up into my driveway, thank God!!! I'm thinking it needs an oil change, as one hasn't been done in a couple of years. No funny noises, no grinding, etc. Poor thing just shut off while in 2nd gear. I still have electrical, but it won't start again. Mind you, this was after a 3 mile ride from mom's house to mine. Had to sit for about 3 mins while a train went by on the ride home--and I put it in neutral while waiting. The only "idiot" light that comes on is the oil light when I try to start it (after you hit the button before you try to start it). This is why I'm thinking oil.

I must admit, it's been a couple of years since an oil change. I just haven't been able to ride much at all. Maybe put 400 miles on it between last year and this year -- if that.

Any opinions??? Or suggestions??? I'd like to try and do an oil change myself before I have it towed to the shop, unless you folks can give me a reason not to. I don't mind taking it apart, since I've done a bit of that before.

Anything you guys can give me would be appreciated!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting

What happens when you hit the starter button? Very odd that it just stalled and won't re-start.
    SE or SM? Doubt that oil level or condition cause that. Original battery? Do you keep it on a tender? Check for loose or corroded battery cables to start with. How old is the fuel?
    sounds like an electrical issue or weak battery.
    Last edited by coz; 07-10-2015 at 09:23 PM.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

It's a 2011 RS SE5. Absolutely nothing happens when I hit the starter button. No noise, not even a click!! I just put in a new battery last summer, and it gets put on a battery tender for the winter. Started right up when I went to ride it the first time!! I've been out riding a few times this season, and no issues. I still have lights and such.... And I just gassed up a few weeks ago--like I said, haven't been able to ride. I live in Ohio where so far we really haven't had summer yet. We've been having monsoon season here!!!

I REALLY don't need a repair bill right now!! Still dealing with flooding issues from 2 weeks ago. I didn't get much water (it seeped in through the walls), but there was some I didn't know about. It caused some lovely mold in the basement!!! Just finishing up getting that squared away. Sigh....

I know I will HAVE to do an oil change either way. I won't be able to check the battery connections until Sunday. I have to put another coat of waterproofing paint on the basement walls before we get more rain on Sunday!!! UGH!!!

Thanks for the suggestion!!! I thought about it being the battery, but I kind of dismissed it because it's a newer battery in there. I'm not discounting anything at this point!! And I do believe I have a battery charger in the garage (as every chick should )!!

Spyder Garage

did you check the kill switch, just thinking out loud
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Wasn't the kill switch. I rarely use it... I thought I maybe went up the driveway too fast at first... Come to think of it, this may have happened when I had to replace the original battery. At least it waits until I get home to pull this crap!!!!

Spyder Garage

It's in 2nd gear so starter won't work unless your foot in on the brake. So is your foot on the brake?

Normal for the oil pressure light to be on when the engine is not running. The engine runs the oil pump. Likely the same as your car.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vampyregirl View Post
    As I pulled up into my driveway, thank God!!! I'm thinking it needs an oil change, as one hasn't been done in a couple of years. No funny noises, no grinding, etc. Poor thing just shut off while in 2nd gear. I still have electrical, but it won't start again. Mind you, this was after a 3 mile ride from mom's house to mine. Had to sit for about 3 mins while a train went by on the ride home--and I put it in neutral while waiting. The only "idiot" light that comes on is the oil light when I try to start it (after you hit the button before you try to start it). This is why I'm thinking oil.

I must admit, it's been a couple of years since an oil change. I just haven't been able to ride much at all. Maybe put 400 miles on it between last year and this year -- if that.

Any opinions??? Or suggestions??? I'd like to try and do an oil change myself before I have it towed to the shop, unless you folks can give me a reason not to. I don't mind taking it apart, since I've done a bit of that before.

Anything you guys can give me would be appreciated!!!!
    Bad fuel? fuel level. Also put battery on regular charger prefer 5 stage one or take to batteries plus to charge/ check.

Spyder Garage

Default Hmmmmm

Check battery charge, and connections. Tight and clean is good. Should be 14vdc. If not, charge on a regular charger, not a trickle charger. Check oil level, add if you need to. Should fire up. Good luck! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting..!!

with all the above. The oil needs changing no doubt but not the cause of it stopping. By all means check it and or change it when you get the chance. Double check your kill switch, many inadvertantly bump it even while ryding. Try the starting proceedure with jumpers connected. If it starts you need to charge the battery and or check all your connections. Let us know what you find...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    It's in 2nd gear so starter won't work unless your foot in on the brake. So is your foot on the brake.
    If it stalled in gear; your foot needs to be on the pedal...
    And if that's out of your normal routine; it's an easy thing to miss!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Foot was on the brake!! I'm a thinkin' battery the more I see you guys' suggestions!! I'm too tired to pull the battery this evening, so it will have to wait until tomorrow. Been burning the candle at both ends with work and coming home to take care of the leaky basement for the last 2 weeks!!

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for your input!!!

It's the 2 year old battery!!! Pulled it, put it on the charger to see if it had a charge left... 1.3 amps. New battery tomorrow. And then I can sit on it in the garage since it will be raining...again. Soooo sick of the rain.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you all for your input!!!

It's the 2 year old battery!!! Pulled it, put it on the charger to see if it had a charge left... 1.3 amps. New battery tomorrow. And then I can sit on it in the garage since it will be raining...again. Soooo sick of the rain.
    If you are not riding it much, be sure to get a battery tender for it and hook it up when it is parked at home. You can get a good one for around twenty-dollars or so. It will help your new battery remain a good one for a lot longer.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

I do have a battery tender. And a new battery now as well!! The guy at Battery Wholesale tells me it may be my charging system since these batteries should last 5 - 6 years. Uh-huh. The bike has sat for 3 weeks before without being used and without being on the tender. Never had and issue with this battery until now. I didn't trust the old one any more and bought new. Problem solved!!

I just love it when folks try to solve your problems, but don't even ask what type of bike or anything. And dude was definitely NOT a motorcycle rider. I told the guy that rang it up what kind of bike I had and he said yeah, I wouldn't trust the battery with that bike either. Uh-huh. This is one of those times where I really don't like being a woman because we get treated like crap in most situations involving mechanical stuff!!!

And, for the record, I checked the connections before I pulled the battery. Everything was tight. I'm thinking one of the cells went bad right at that moment that it shut down on me. Before that, there was no hesitation in starting up or any other hiccups.....

Spyder Garage

Default Glad you got it worked out

Well I'm glad you got it worked out and back up and running.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Just took it out for a short ryde. Vroom vroom!!!! And no issues. Fancy that!!

Spyder Garage

Default The only thing better

Just took it out for a short ryde. Vroom vroom!!!! And no issues. Fancy that!!
    The only thing better that a fresh battery is a full tank.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

What kind of battery failed and what did you get? I Got a YUSHA from Honda East on Saturday. My original battery did not fail, but... it was sluggish starting, so I replaced it. I tend to opt for the safe side of the street.

Frank

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that you're back up on all Three!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not sure but I would also check you alternator output and make sure it is working optimal.. This would also cause a battery to not work properly or kill it sooner than expected.

Spyder Garage

AGM and Gel cell batteries...still not all that great.
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

With all the folks trying to help I am not sure more advice will be of use but I personally would buy an inexpensive multimeter. Put the multimeter on VDC scale (volts, DC) and in lowest scale which will likely be 20. Not sure where the battery is on your Spyder but find it and start the thing. Put your red probe on POS terminal and black on NEG terminal. At idle you should see about 12.6 VDC. Rev bike to 4K rpm in neutral and the voltage at the battery should jump to a bit over 14 VDC. If this is the behavior you are getting, charging system is A-OK. If you get LESS than 14 VDC or more than 15 VDC, either your alternator or regulator/rectifier are bad. The alternator makes three legs of AC current and is a bit harder to check as you need to disconnect the connector to the regulator/rectifier so if you do the initial check and it fails, take it to a shop (sorry). Hope this helps... by the way, I am a professional bike mechanic (not great with Spyder stuff yet but do understand electrical basics).
    wiredgeorge Mico TX
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM5

Spyder Garage

Hi wiredgeorge,

Re: I am a professional bike mechanic (not great with Spyder stuff yet but do understand electrical basics).

And a very large WELCOME to this forum.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Now get to working on that 'Spyder stuff' so we can bomb you with questions.
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi wiredgeorge,

Re: I am a professional bike mechanic (not great with Spyder stuff yet but do understand electrical basics).

And a very large WELCOME to this forum.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Now get to working on that 'Spyder stuff' so we can bomb you with questions.
    I mainly work on vintage Japanese stuff. My personal collection is all 70s era Kawasakis.... What makes the Spyder a challenge is the plastic and more plastic. There are also a lot of computerized systems for which I have no knowledge whatsoever. My specialty is carburetors, by the way and my business is selling and rebuilding vintage Japanese motorcycle carburetors. I seldom get the urge to work on modern bikes except to do what I need to for maintenance. I also have a 2013 CB1100A for solo riding.
    wiredgeorge Mico TX
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM5

Spyder Garage

If it's in second gear and it's a SE5 it wont ever start until you get it back into first gear! I had a similar issue the first day that I brought my 2008 GS home
    I found a very short sentence in the book that stated it must be in Natural or first with the brake on to get the starter to be engaged
    I hope this helps!