Thread: can am shaking

Spyder Garage

Default can am shaking

I just came back from a ride with my 2016 can am RTL. when I get over 50 mph my spyder shakes. it is not a real vibration but more of a shake. I did have a dealer install a new rear tire last year, and that is when the shake started. I took it back to them and they said everything was ok. I am at my wits end. hope someone can help. thanks

Spyder Garage

I'd take it back to the same dealer and INSIST that they correct this. It's almost certain that the tire or rim is out of balance or not seated correctly. There shouldn't be any "shaking or vibration" at any speed. Be polite but be firm and let us know what happens.

LORD GRANT ME THE SENILITY TO FORGET THE PEOPLE I NEVER LIKED,
    THE GOOD FORTUNE TO RUN INTO THE ONES I DO LIKE,
    AND THE EYE SIGHT TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE.

2016 Spyder RTS

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hi .. as I see it you can play some Jerry Lee Lewis music or,
    You have a bad tire or a bent wheel or an unbalanced tire it has to be
    associated with the rear tire... take it back ASAP

Quote Originally Posted by ndspyderlover View Post
    I just came back from a ride with my 2016 can am RTL. when I get over 50 mph my spyder shakes. it is not a real vibration but more of a shake. I did have a dealer install a new rear tire last year, and that is when the shake started. I took it back to them and they said everything was ok. I am at my wits end. hope someone can help. thanks
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 04-11-2020 at 01:05 PM.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Rear Wheel

Have your dealer check out your Rear Wheel and Tire. Sometimes problems happen. ...
    Good Luck on Your Mission........
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Take it back, and keep taking it back until resolved. Don't take it anywhere else, if you do, you'll be in the middle of a blame game.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

If you have a Kenda rear tire, expect that. My 3 Kenda tyres all had flat spots and were causing bike to shake.
    I replaced the tires with car tyres, run a lower pressure on the rear (22psi) and no shaking. First had a Falken rear that lasted 16000kms, now Nankeng rear and Nankeng front. Runs smooth.
    2016 F3Ltd , Red

Spyder Garage

Don't be surprised if the stealer says that it is now your fault as it's been a few months. Weight fell off, tire out of warranty ( if it had one), road damage, ect, ect. Good luck---- a decent dealer will take care of the problem.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Try a bottle of ride-on tire sealer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Try Checking the pressure in the FRONT Tires. Most people ride the tires with very low pressure like 14 to 16 psi ( Don't know why) but that causes shaking of the Spyder. I use like 20 psi in the front tires but that is just my idea of how it should be. Your own chice I guess. Satisfaction will vary.

Spyder Garage

I just got my spyder back from the dealer. it seems ok now. they installed a belt tensioner for $135.00 and that was for parts and labor. I thought the price was real reasonable. parts alone on this website are way more expensive.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer51 View Post
    Try Checking the pressure in the FRONT Tires. Most people ride the tires with very low pressure like 14 to 16 psi ( Don't know why) but that causes shaking of the Spyder. I use like 20 psi in the front tires but that is just my idea of how it should be. Your own chice I guess. Satisfaction will vary.
    Low tire psi causes shaking , I apologize, but that is Hooey. No basis in fact ...... Shaking #1 - tire/wheel imbalance ... #2- various types of " defective " tire .... ie. out of round, broken internal belts, bubbles in/on sidewall..... I have never heard of tire psi being a factor .... ask Peter Aawen what He thinks ..... Mike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just got my spyder back from the dealer. it seems ok now. they installed a belt tensioner for $135.00 and that was for parts and labor. I thought the price was real reasonable. parts alone on this website are way more expensive.
    Or reduce drive belt tension like 100's here have done .... cost = $ 0.00 ............... I have read almost every thread / post on this site, it amazes even me what can be learned..... even the ones that arn't a problem Now can be useful later ...... jmho .... Mike .... EXCEPT for Crapenda's ... any Auto tire will perform best between 14 & 16 psi .... that's where a lightweight veh. ( like the Spyders )will do best .....