Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2020 RT Sway Bar

We have sold a few BajaRon Sway Bars already for 2020 RT's, but just got around to installing one on our own 2020 yesterday.
    It does make a huge difference. The stock 2020 RT Sway Bar is no different then on the previous RT models.
    Install is pretty easy, couple minutes to remove some bottom panels then unbolt links and blocks.
    Hardest part for most people still is getting it high enough to get the old bar out.
    Go ahead and install one, you will not be disappointed.

http://store.valueaccessories.net/Ba...ayBarKits.aspx
    20200329_110818[1].jpg
    Picture taken yesterday during the ride testing the new Sway Bar
    Last edited by rick_w; 03-30-2020 at 04:22 PM.
    Rick
    Spyder Lovers Vendor
    Value-Accessories

Spyder Garage

It is a very interesting situation. It was said by BRP reps that the 2020 RT had a new, upgraded sway bar installed from the factory. I received a good many inquiries about this, even before the 2020 models were released. Of course I was not able to address these questions. I had to wait like everyone else to see what came out. Before I could get my hands on one of these 'New' factory sway bars, I had new 2020 RT owners contacting me saying that they didn't think there was a new sway bar. That though their new 2020 RT was OK. It didn't handle as well as the RT they traded in with an upgraded sway bar installed.

I have since gotten a stock 2020 RT sway bar from a gracious customer who installed my bar kit. It does not have a part# label. Which I found surprising. All previous OEM bars had this label. I am not insinuating anything here. Just an interesting fact. Maybe they just missed this one. Or, they aren't putting labels on the factory installed units. Still, it does not make sense to me that they would leave a part# label off.

BRP has not yet put part #'s up for the 2020's. So I can't say that the part# has not changed. But even if the part# does change. It does not necessarily mean a different bar. BRP changes part#'s when they change suppliers. Makes sense. But does not necessarily mean an actual change to the component. I can tell you that the 'New' stock sway bar is virtually identical to the previous 2013-2019 sway bars in size and strength. Putting a micrometer on this 2020 sway bar, it miced out just a few thousandths SMALLER than the 2013 stock RT sway bar I have. This is not surprising as bar diameter can vary, somewhat, in size from the steel mill. Even the powder coat thickness makes a difference in diameter.

So, I am not sure what the explanation is for the 'New' stronger, factory sway bar that we heard so much about. The whole scenario is quite interesting, if not puzzling.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 03-29-2020 at 11:47 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    It is a very interesting situation. It was said by BRP reps that the 2020 RT had a new, upgraded sway bar installed from the factory.
    So, I am not sure what the explanation is for the 'New' stronger, factory sway bar that we heard so much about. The whole scenario is quite interesting, if not puzzling.
    I too had heard this, and have searched for the written word.
    me thinks that the interpretation from one person to the next
    person and so on is what has lead to a mirky interpretation.

so with that said, I will be getting BajaRon's Custom Performance Sway Bar Kit!

My question if anyone knows is what is a fair time my dealership should
    charge for the install? 30 minutes, 1hour?

This is all I could find from BRP regarding improved riding dynamics;

Spyder Garage

Interesting as the BRP rep I talked to at our test ride in Mesa told me that the suspension change that they did resulted in no need for a stiffer sway bar so that was not changed.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

How about a Rockwell hardness test on the factory bar, and/or a torque test?
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lowering the center of gravity on the 2020 RT makes it handle much better than prior year RTs with a factory bar. I have not ridden a 20 with Ron’s bar so I can’t say how it handles but I would venture a guess that it is a definite improvement
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post

DIY Owner, First Spyder, First time ever working on one. It took me less than an hour to do the job.

That said, It should not take more than 30-45 minutes for a dealer tech to slap in the bar. 2 underbody panels and some bolts.
    2020 RT Limited , ASPHALT GREY METALLIC - DARK EDITION

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post

I would say that your explanation of the 'Murky' interpretation may be accurate. I would have to see the video clip again and pay closer attention to exactly what was said. I should have saved that.

The 2020 RT is one of the easiest sway bar installs of any Spyder. It should not take a dealership more than 1 hour to install. This is not to say that they will not charge you 1.5 hr shop rate, or even more. Dealer pricing on this install can vary a fair amount.

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Interesting as the BRP rep I talked to at our test ride in Mesa told me that the suspension change that they did resulted in no need for a stiffer sway bar so that was not changed.
    This to me is the most accurate statement about the rumored sway bar upgrade that I have heard. Of course it is the opinion of the BRP engineers that no additional improvements are needed. But the information about an upgraded sway bar appears to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    How about a Rockwell hardness test on the factory bar, and/or a torque test?
    I do not go to the lengths of a Rockwell hardness test. After all. Specs. don't necessarily tell you what you want to know. Instead. I clamp the bar down to my steel bench with the bushings in place so it is able to articulate just as it would on the Spyder. I then put a cheater bar on one arm to give more leverage, hang a fixed set of weights off the end and measure deflection. The cheater bar exaggerates this deflection and makes any difference in stiffness very obvious and measurable. Pretty much the same approach as the ROLO alignment system which exaggerates alignment angles to get a more accurate measurement.

I have stock sway bars from every RT production year. They vary a bit in stiffness, but the variation is small and to be expected. Essentially, they all give the same results from 2013 to 2019. The 2020 bar gave similar results when I tested it. Diameter is essentially the same as all the other 2013-2019 bars as well.

Bottom line after all the analysis of diameters, stiffness, etc., is, does a sway bar upgrade significantly improve handling on a 2020 RT. This is the real answer that everyone is looking for. And you simply have to ask a rider who has done this upgrade to get a definitive answer.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 03-29-2020 at 08:31 PM.

Spyder Garage

Listen to the video at about 1:30. Not a lot of specific information.
    And of course, this was a pre-production model.

If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I hadn't planned on installing one on my 2020 like I did on my 2014, but I changed my mind. For lack of a more accurate description, the 2020 felt "squishier" than my 2014 around corners, particularly with my daughter on back.

Installation on the 2020 was easier than the 2014 or 2010, you can get to everything from the bottom. Afterwards, a very noticeable effect. At a glance, the new swaybar is beefier than the original, but that doesn't necessarily mean stiffer. However, in my opinion it was a very worthwhile upgrade.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Based on things current 2020 RT owners are saying after upgrade as well as my experience of having a Baja Ron sway bar on my 2014
    I'm not waiting to see. My 2 ride buddies and Myself purchased 2020 RTL and ordered them with dealer installed Baja Ron sway Bar upgrades done. We should take delivery this week as the dealer, LadySmith Motor Sports is doing other installs on the 3 units. I guess it's a preference to upgrade or not but we ride kinda frisky in the twisties and the ride and handling is defiantly better with upgraded bar.
    2020 RTL - Petrol Blue Metalic / Black, dark model.
    Colour match rear tail cover, Garmin GPS.
    Heated Ultra Comfort driver seat & backrest.
    LED headlamps, LED Front corner lamps and lower front LED lamp.
    Baja Ron sway bar.
    Ride Til You Rot!

Spyder Garage

Installed on our 2018 Saturday, floor jack & a 4x4 works great, thanks Rick ��

Spyder Garage

Jimbo - let me know how it went I to have a 2018 RTL and thing about installing a sway bar.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Teeman View Post
    Jimbo - let me know how it went I to have a 2018 RTL and thing about installing a sway bar.
    I just installed one on a 2019 RTL this past Sat. and took a nice little test ride across the Foothills Parkway and then rode Deals Gap....in from the TN side, to the store and then back out. The BajaRon Sway bar makes a H U G E difference in the corners and stops the wallowing from the bike/suspension being affected by the centrifugal force. Without the sway bar mod, every corner becomes an "off camber" turn unless you are just putzing along and riding pretty slow. Well worth the money and the additional fun factor when riding.

Spyder Garage

I have 1k miles on my 2020 RTL with the BajaRon sway bar installed at 200 miles. I agree with the OP who said the RT felt “squishy” in turns with the stock sway bar. Been riding in some real windy weather lately on the coast and mountain passes in California and the BajaRon sway bar keeps the 2020 front end firmly planted on the roadway. Thanks for all you do Ron!
    2020 RTL SE6 Asphalt Grey
    2014 RT SE6, Pearl White 57k (2014-2020)
    2008 GS Premier 17k (2012-2014)

Spyder Garage

In reading what TB posted and after installing Ron's new bar on my 2020 I have a strong suspicion that the bar is the same. I believe they did change the front shocks springs since they specifically mention the shocks were revalved. New shock specs would account for their advertising material. I believe this change had led people into incorrectly concluding the sway bar was changed.

My theory.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    In reading what TB posted and after installing Ron's new bar on my 2020 I have a strong suspicion that the bar is the same. I believe they did change the front shocks springs since they specifically mention the shocks were revalved. New shock specs would account for their advertising material. I believe this change had led people into incorrectly concluding the sway bar was changed.

My theory.
    Of course this subject is of great interest to me. And I hope I am not wearing this out. But in the video clip (Post #9 at the 1:27 mark), the BRP rep. describes changes to the 2020 RT for Spyder dealership employees this way; 'So, again. Big change in handling. There's going to be the heavy duty sway bar under it'. Then, a bit later he says; "I know a lot of you guys, consumers, have upgraded to the BajaRon sway bar on it. Basically the same thing. All we've done is...(and he mentions 'BajaRon') again. Unfortunately, with the background noise, etc., I cannot quite make out the rest of that statement.

I get your statement, and I think you are correct as far as BRP's literature, (which does not mention a different sway bar). And their feeling that the upgrades they have made to the shocks combined with the lower center of gravity effectively give you the same result as installing a BajaRon sway bar on an earlier model RT.

Still, I think he did make it clear that there was a 'Heavy Duty' sway bar which he definitely represented different from previous RT sway bars and 'Basically the same thing' as the BajaRon sway bar.

I want to be completely candid about this. I am not upset. It is not my intention to point fingers or in any way cast dispersions or a negative aspect to any of this. This is just 1 BRP rep. in an obviously un-choreographed, casual show & tell session. I have found BRP to be as honest about their products as any power sport manufacturer. You always have to factor in exuberance, loyalty, and marking into the equation. You don't send someone out to represent your product unless they have these 3 qualities. But I also find it interesting to compare product statements to product performance. And I would guess this, to some degree, is everyone's feeling.

Without what BRP does with the Spyder, I would not be able to do what I do. Ideally, it is a semi-symbiotic relationship between manufacture and aftermarket. In truth. I am humbled by the fact that a BRP rep. mentioned me by name. Of course, I have you, the Spyder owners of the world to thank for that. I certainly didn't get here without your support.

Ride Safe and Stay Healthy! Life is good when we treat it with the respect it deserves.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 03-31-2020 at 02:11 PM.

Spyder Garage

Of course this subject is of great interest to me. And I hope I am not wearing this out. But in the video clip (Post #9 at the 1:27 mark), the BRP rep. describes changes to the 2020 RT for Spyder dealership employees this way; 'So, again. Big change in handling. There's going to be the heavy duty sway bar under it'. Then, a bit later he says; "I know a lot of you guys, consumers, have upgraded to the BajaRon sway bar on it. Basically the same thing. All we've done is...(and he mentions 'BajaRon') again. Unfortunately, with the background noise, etc., I cannot quite make out the rest of that statement.

I get your statement, and I think you are correct as far as BRP's literature, (which does not mention a different sway bar). And their feeling that the upgrades they have made to the shocks combined with the lower center of gravity effectively give you the same result as installing a BajaRon sway bar on an earlier model RT.

Still, I think he did make it clear that there was a 'Heavy Duty' sway bar which he definitely represented different from previous RT sway bars and 'Basically the same thing' as the BajaRon sway bar.

I want to be completely candid about this. I am not upset. It is not my intention to point fingers or in any way cast dispersions or a negative aspect to any of this. This is just 1 BRP rep. in an obviously un-choreographed, casual show & tell session. I have found BRP to be as honest about their products as any power sport manufacturer. You always have to factor in exuberance, loyalty, and marking into the equation. You don't send someone out to represent your product unless they have these 3 qualities. But I also find it interesting to compare product statements to product performance. And I would guess this, to some degree, is everyone's feeling.

Without what BRP does with the Spyder, I would not be able to do what I do. Ideally, it is a semi-symbiotic relationship between manufacture and aftermarket. In truth. I am humbled by the fact that a BRP rep. mentioned me by name. Of course, I have you, the Spyder owners of the world to thank for that. I certainly didn't get here without your support.

Ride Safe and Stay Healthy! Life is good when we treat it with the respect it deserves.
    And to give the rep the benefit of the doubt, he was riding a prototype. They may well have put a heavy duty sway bar on that bike, and then decided not to go with it on the production units.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Ron, No reason to think that you are "wearing this out". I have always felt that when a vendor produces a product and it does what they say it will do...and...they produce that product at a fair price that allows the customer to purchase it AND the vendor is able to make a fair profit from their product......I will tell everyone that I know (that is interested of course), what a great company they are and what a great product they produce. And as a product vendor for the sway bar, you are one of those guys....Thank you sir for a job well done.

Spyder Garage

I've been giving this a great deal of thought.
    Let me first say that I LOVE Ron's products. See a need, fill a need.
    On my 2010 RT, the RonBar was ESSENTIAL. No question. And his spark plug/wire kit was also a requirement. I recommend that kit for every Spyder with a 998 cc engine.
    On my 2014, straight out of the box, the suspension handled better than the 2010 with the upgrades. Nevertheless, when riding two up, I felt the need for an improvement and wasn't disappointed by getting the RonBar.

So far on my 2020, my seat of the pants assessment using my highly calibrated a$$ is telling me the stock set up is quite good. I'm not detecting any issues around turns.
    Now admittedly, I've only got about 800 miles on the new bike. About half of that has been two up. Because I was breaking in the engine, most of it was on back roads, some quite twisty. Not many miles on a windy highway yet, but I've comfortably passed 18 wheel trucks.
    Can a stiffer sway bar make the suspension better ? I'm sure there is room for improvement. But how much improvement ? There is, after all the law of diminishing returns.
    Is BajaRon's bar in fact stiffer than the 2020 "heavy duty" OEM sway bar? The jury is still out on that. Some deflection data of Ron's bar vs the stock BRP bar would be helpful.
    As all manufacturers do, BRP sees popular aftermarket accessories and then includes them into their own OEM line when they redesign their units.

We all have a tendency to justify our actions, so OF COURSE those who compare the performance before and after the bar upgrade can see an immediate improvement. And remember the OP is trying to SELL new sway bars.
    I'm guilty of the same thing. I never even bothered to try the bike with the STANDARD handlebars, and naturally, the u-fit long reach bars wouldn't be good enough either, so I HAD to drop $600 on the HeliBars.

I'm not ruling it out, but for now I'll sit tight with the stock setup for a few more thousand miles. I'll check out the link set. I know those plastic links fail, and I'll concentrate on lighting up the fender and rear bag deflectors.

Now if only BRP would copy noboot's center power arm design for the windshield. Although one thing I've noticed is the 2020 windshield seems far tighter and doesn't rock side to side like my 2010 and 2014 did. Maybe they've fixed the center arm failures by supporting the windshield better.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong, and if I am it's a metaphysical certainty that HORDES of the forum posters here will let me know
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Took a couple hours, a little more to take off than the 2020, if you can get it high enough not to difficult. Haven't tested it yet, will this weekend

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    And to give the rep the benefit of the doubt, he was riding a prototype. They may well have put a heavy duty sway bar on that bike, and then decided not to go with it on the production units.
    Kinda what I was thinking too. I've spoken to different BRP "reps" and found most of them to be rather ill informed about the soup and nuts of the product. No knock in any way or fashion. Most reps are not true gear heads, or as the Brit would say, petrol heads. They're representatives who bring their own personal experiences and expertise to the job, and most of that is not from the world of turning wrenches.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    I remember watching the videos say the suspension was stiffer and no more rolling. I have the 2020 and it does not roll at all. I love mine just the way it is. Just doing some things to make it more confortable for me. But ride is awesome.

Spyder Garage

ThreeWheels, my wife felt like she was going to be thrown off on her first two rides and refused to get back on the back of the 16 F3-L. I installed Ron’s bar without her even knowing and talked her into one more ride to see if she could live with the feeling. I took off on the same route as previous and she remarked that she must have adjusted as she no longer felt that feeling of being thrown off. Nothing to do with justifying the purchase.
    We are all different. Some feel buffeting where others don’t etc. Some love the stock bar, but others don’t. Sure, there might be some influence in an individual’s opinion of the Ronbar’s advantages because they bought it, but my experience was independent of the knowledge that the new bar had even been installed.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Think the consensus is that the Ron's bar is far superior to OEM on models prior to 2020, and the question remains, is it superior to the 2020 RTL? I am good with my 2020 RTL and don't plan to do the upgrade, as time passes and ride more, I may change my mind.