Spyder Garage

Default A Busy Day Yesterday...

So, being a new Spyder owner (2019 RTL), I have been wanting to do a few mods that many owners do, so nothing exceptional there, but it made for a busy day yesterday. So I've been gathering up some of the things required to be able to do maint and general work on the Spyder, as well as some of the things I want to add to it. I've owned and ridden motorcycles since 1971 and have many of the necessary tools already, so now I'm just tweaking a bit for the Spyder needs. I had a motorcycle lift table that was perfect for the two wheelers (Direct Lift pneumatic), and I sold that a few weeks ago and took the money from the sale of that and purchased a PitBull Motorcycle lift for the RT. I also purchased a pair of 1/2 ramps, and since I had Milwaukee brand for my power tools, I also purchased a Milwaukee screwdriver. The mods list included putting on a Battery Tender lead, a GPS mount and Magic Mirrors from LAMonster Garage, and of course the BajaRon sway bar.....from the man himself...Ron!

Yesterday I got all of the mods installed, including the sway bar. It took quite a bit of time for me since I had never done one before, and I was just taking my time making sure that everything came off in an orderly fashion....so it could go back together in an orderly fashion. If you are on the fence about which lift to buy, definitely check out the PitBull Motorcycle lift. This lift has a ~25" lift and it is very solid, even when lifting the Spyder up enough to change the sway bar....about 22". I'm very impressed with it and I'm sure it will become a valuable addition to the Spyder maint. tools. Overall, a very good day and the only hiccup during the entire day was the magnets from the Magic Mirrors "biting" me. I was pulling one of them from the "stack" of magnets and my grip slipped a little and got a finger between two of them........blood flow immediately.....damn those things are strong! Anyway, getting ready to head out in a bit and test out the new sway bar through a few of the twisty turns of Deals Gap. I live 18 miles from it, so a normal day's ride for me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

careful i got a ticket on my f3 doing 50 thru there But it was worth the 24 dollars Enjoy your ride

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Good for you, and my envy no know bounds as to where you live...... Some of my best " rides " have been in your area .... at least I think I know where you are ..... I tried google maps for " "Murvil " Tn .... and they don't know where you live ???? .... so an accurate location would help .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

its probably maryville

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    its probably maryville
    YEP! But, you ain't from around here if you say.....Mary Ville! So, I'm from Mur Vull!

Spyder Garage

One small hijack please....

We have a town near here called Mount Judea. The locals call it Mount Judy.

UNHIJACK: ON

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by triplethreat View Post
    YEP! But, you ain't from around here if you say.....Mary Ville! So, I'm from Mur Vull!
    So you must be familiar with the " Foothills Pkwy " .... a really nice road for " short run " thrills ..... and from your location it's an easy trip up to BajaRon's area ( Greenvelle ) He's a rider and sponsor on this site ..... also the northwest area " Maggie Valley has some incredible roads ..... and a major Spyder event is held there early part of Oct. ..... hoping this virus thing will have abated by then ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    So you must be familiar with the " Foothills Pkwy " .... a really nice road for " short run " thrills ..... and from your location it's an easy trip up to BajaRon's area ( Greenvelle ) He's a rider and sponsor on this site ..... also the northwest area " Maggie Valley has some incredible roads ..... and a major Spyder event is held there early part of Oct. ..... hoping this virus thing will have abated by then ..... Mike
    Yes Sir....I wish I had a Dollar for everytime I've been across the Foothills Parkway. Have you been on the new section yet? It opened in November of 2018 and it is just absolutely Gorgeous.....and of course freshly paved ect. We drove the car across it the very first day it was open to the public in Nov. '18 and have been across it several times since then...on a bike and again in the car. We just went across the parkway this afternoon, then turned left and went through Deals Gap and back out. The Gap was almost desolate....compared to what it should have been this time of year and as beautiful as it is today. Here are a couple of pics from the new section that I took when we were there in Nov. 2018.....

BajaRon and I have spoken multiple times via email....and I've ordered from him too.....some oil change stuff and the Sway bars that I just put on yesterday. We are going to meet up to go riding one of these days when we both have time. He lives in an area that has some great roads too...on over into N.C. And yes, I am keeping my eye on the Spyder event in Maggie Valley and like you, hoping this virus thing is history by then. I just cancelled a camping week in Crossville, TN that was the first of two Grand Design Camping trailer Rallies. I'm hoping the National event in Sept. can be held.

Spyder Garage

UPDATE........I just got a chance to try out the Spyder with the BajaRon sway bar installed....and all I can say is.....OMG. The difference is night and day with the way the bike tracks through the corners. I ride rather aggressively sometimes and like to push the bike in fairly deep before I get on the brakes for corner entry......basically, late braking and aggressive drive out. Before the BR sway bar, the bike wanted to "wallow" through the corner....and that was just me on the bike. Today, Peggy went with me and we rode the 11 miles in and the 11 miles back out and part of the time I was pushing it pretty hard.....and it just sticks and doesn't wallow. I am extremely impressed with the improvement in the suspension with such a simple mod.

Spyder Garage

UPDATE........I just got a chance to try out the Spyder with the BajaRon sway bar installed....and all I can say is.....OMG. The difference is night and day with the way the bike tracks through the corners. I ride rather aggressively sometimes and like to push the bike in fairly deep before I get on the brakes for corner entry......basically, late braking and aggressive drive out. Before the BR sway bar, the bike wanted to "wallow" through the corner....and that was just me on the bike. Today, Peggy went with me and we rode the 11 miles in and the 11 miles back out and part of the time I was pushing it pretty hard.....and it just sticks and doesn't wallow. I am extremely impressed with the improvement in the suspension with such a simple mod.
    Thanks for the pics .... brings back pleasant memories ..... " Foot hills pkwy " .... NEW section .... where is it the north end, if I remember correctly the south end connected to 129 ( the Dragon ) ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the pics .... brings back pleasant memories ..... " Foot hills pkwy " .... NEW section .... where is it the north end, if I remember correctly the south end connected to 129 ( the Dragon ) ...... Mike
    Mike, that is correct....south end starts/stops at the junction of U.S. 129 there by the lake. The other end of it used to be at 321...between Walland and Townsend. The new part starts there at 321 and continues north all the way to Wears Valley....at least for the present time. There is still more that continues all the way to I-40....but it is not all completed yet...and may not be during my lifetime...who knows.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Interesting, I like to do rides to Kodak (Sevierville) to visit a friend, might swing by BajaRon's for an install. I find some sway with my 20 RT, but to me not annoying. I might find the sway more pronounced if I can ever get up there again for some technical riding, we shall see.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Interesting, I like to do rides to Kodak (Sevierville) to visit a friend, might swing by BajaRon's for an install. I find some sway with my 20 RT, but to me not annoying. I might find the sway more pronounced if I can ever get up there again for some technical riding, we shall see.
    I could be wrong, and I certainly don't want to speak for Ron, but I'm thinking that he doesn't do installation work on stuff like that. You might check with him before hand.

I would say that a "spirited" ride through some serious twisties would quickly convince you of the need for a new sway bar from Ron.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I love your area. We have been going to the Maggie Valley, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge area every year (a couple of times a year) for the past 10+ years. I actually had my current spyder delivered to me in the Sieverville Walmart parking lot while we were on a trip there 3 years ago this coming April. I motorsports delivered it to me while on vacation.
    In 2015 one of our riding buddies had a wreck on the Dragon and was taken to the hospital in Maryville. They gave him a couple of advil, a bandage, and sent him on his way. This was a 76 year old guy that was thrown from his brand new Harley Ultra Classic trike. He actually had a major concussion. When we headed home 2 days later, we took him directly to the hospital here in Raleigh. Found out about the concussion and that he also had a broken leg. Needless to say, I loved the town, but not your hospital.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Have to make a visit to the Foothills Pkwy

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Mike, that is correct....south end starts/stops at the junction of U.S. 129 there by the lake. The other end of it used to be at 321...between Walland and Townsend. The new part starts there at 321 and continues north all the way to Wears Valley....at least for the present time. There is still more that continues all the way to I-40....but it is not all completed yet...and may not be during my lifetime...who knows.

Thanks for this info, it isn't on Google maps that I could find .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-03-2020 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

ThrippleThreat, your post #11, thanks for the info. Guess I'll have to order and get it done by a dealer, or somewhere if I need it. I will know after my next journey to that world

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I love your area. We have been going to the Maggie Valley, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge area every year (a couple of times a year) for the past 10+ years. I actually had my current spyder delivered to me in the Sieverville Walmart parking lot while we were on a trip there 3 years ago this coming April. I motorsports delivered it to me while on vacation.
    In 2015 one of our riding buddies had a wreck on the Dragon and was taken to the hospital in Maryville. They gave him a couple of advil, a bandage, and sent him on his way. This was a 76 year old guy that was thrown from his brand new Harley Ultra Classic trike. He actually had a major concussion. When we headed home 2 days later, we took him directly to the hospital here in Raleigh. Found out about the concussion and that he also had a broken leg. Needless to say, I loved the town, but not your hospital.
    I've heard more than one person comment about Blount Memorial...and not in a good way. Unfortunately, it's the nearest trauma center to the Deal's Gap area...

Spyder Garage

Thanks for this info, it isn't on Google maps that I could find .... Mike
    You might need to update your version of Google maps....it shows up on mine
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-03-2020 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

I'd sure like to ride over there, but not "TO" there. Maybe when "Management" retires and I can convince her to buy a nicely equipped toy hauler and a Diesel truck to pull it. But I'd be happy with a Dodge 6.4 liter Super Charged 4x4. both probably around the same price.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    I'd sure like to ride over there, but not "TO" there. Maybe when "Management" retires and I can convince her to buy a nicely equipped toy hauler and a Diesel truck to pull it. But I'd be happy with a Dodge 6.4 liter Super Charged 4x4. both probably around the same price.
    We've been working towards this goal for the past several years, and I am less than 30 days away from my official retirement. Unfortunately, we probably won't be going anywhere for at least a few months until the Covid-19 thing is under control.....