Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speakers

Spyder Garage

Spyder Speakers

I know this is a touchy topic for some people, but I am looking for speakers for my Ryker. Mainly for those long, highway, rides. My daughter likes to listen to music (shes almost 11), so I am looking for a speaker for my Ryker that can be heard when I'm traveling at highway/interstate speeds (55-75 mph). I've seen the couple on slingmods, but I'm not ready to pay that kind of price if I can't listen to it to see how it sounds going at high speeds. I was wondering a few things:
    1. Anyone have any videos of either of those speakers at higher speeds?
    2. Are there any other options such as bluetooth speakers that I can just attach to my bike and take off when I'm not using it? I know JBL has some nice speakers that are used mainly for listening recreational use?
    2019 Rally , Yellow and black

Spyder Garage

Hi Sara ..

I would first install a fairing on the Ryker, maybe with the higher shield (like here) and than look for speakers .. there is enough space inside - without that, its not possible to hear music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uZGa6HBr_o&t=29s
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

No handlebar or exterior mounted speakers will play loud enough for you to hear at highway+ speeds. You'd need some really efficient speakers of at least 6.5" diameter and a strong amp to supply power to the speakers. I just recently sold my H-D touring bike. It had a fairing that had component 6.5" speakers in it and fairing lowers with a pair of 6.5" speakers in them. They were powered by a 180WPC/4ohm amp that supplied the speakers with a lot of of power. They played LOUD and clear, but at 65+ mph, they lost a lot of their volume to ambient wind/road/tire noise. Wearing a 3/4 helmet actually helped a bit. If you wear a full face helmet, you'll need to crack open the face shield. Around town and up to 60mph, they were great. That's just the way it is...

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by saralyn15 View Post
    I know this is a touchy topic for some people, but I am looking for speakers for my Ryker. Mainly for those long, highway, rides. My daughter likes to listen to music (shes almost 11), so I am looking for a speaker for my Ryker that can be heard when I'm traveling at highway/interstate speeds (55-75 mph). I've seen the couple on slingmods, but I'm not ready to pay that kind of price if I can't listen to it to see how it sounds going at high speeds. I was wondering a few things:
    1. Anyone have any videos of either of those speakers at higher speeds?
    2. Are there any other options such as bluetooth speakers that I can just attach to my bike and take off when I'm not using it? I know JBL has some nice speakers that are used mainly for listening recreational use?
    Hi, & .... Back in 09 I added a stereo to my GS .... then added the same one to my 12 RSS ... it is made by " SHARK " ( even Lamont bought one for His first F-3 ) .... the FM didn't work well in my area VT. ( low reception ) but I only used it with an MP-3.... so it was not an issue ... a bit later I bought 2 ohm speakers fro JBL and that really improved the sound..... After I bought a 14 RT, I swapped all four speakers ( including 5.25 in in rear ) I din't need an AMP because 2 ohm speakers are louder / clearer then the OEM ones ...... Look on E-bay for the " Shark system .... buy the one with the largest Amp that has a " WIRED REMOTE " .... and the FOUR speaker models arn't worth the extra money and complications with an instal ...... been there tried that ...... good luck you can PM me if you need more info ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I run a cardo pack talk bold with JBL speakers I run spotify off line and can listen to hours of my playlist. The nice thing is I can share the music im listening to with my wife who is using the same communication system. It also means I don't have to be the guy who pulls up to the stop light with my music blaring.

Spyder Garage

I get wanting to listen to open air music. Like exhaust topics, one can be responsible when they listen to their music. Whole other topic.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

I get wanting to listen to open air music. Like exhaust topics, one can be responsible when they listen to their music. Whole other topic. That said, one of the more popular, low ohm/efficient best sounding 6.5" speaker is this .. https://www.amazon.com/Infinity-62IX...5500328&sr=8-2

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Look for speakers with the highest efficiency...Also moisture resistant is important so look at marine grade speakers. My RT has one of the better sounds systems built in that I have heard on bikes

Spyder Garage

that was my plan! im using your idea! thanks for that! Im excited to give my bike a unique look!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Geep View Post
    Look for speakers with the highest efficiency...Also moisture resistant is important so look at marine grade speakers. My RT has one of the better sounds systems built in that I have heard on bikes
    I posted above about my JBL GTO 2ohm speakers ... they arn't " Marine " speakers, however I talked to JBL and explained where and how I was using therm .... they said all parts used in the entire JBL - GTO series is waterproof ie. plastic, rubber, and metal ..... Mine have been on for almost 75,000 mi. .... they still work great ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I posted above about my JBL GTO 2ohm speakers ... they arn't " Marine " speakers, however I talked to JBL and explained where and how I was using therm .... they said all parts used in the entire JBL - GTO series is waterproof ie. plastic, rubber, and metal ..... Mine have been on for almost 75,000 mi. .... they still work great ..... Mike
    did you install them on a ryker?

Spyder Garage

did you install them on a ryker?
    No, but I did on my 08 GS and also my 2012 RSS , as stated in my first post, yes the Ryker is a bit smaller so that's why I recommended you look for the " Shark " stereo ... this comes with speakers mounted into plastic PODS .... which you would attach ( possibly on the windshield ) or the spyder tupperware ..... check E-bay ...... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Kiwi/Thompson's/etc camp spray will not harm speakers. Just put a piece of painters tape over the tweeter.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

I am going to be installing the boss motorcycle speaker system. Just search Ryker stereo on you tube and you will see them. Putting the speakers on the bars but it should work.
    2019 Ryker Rally , Black and blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    No, but I did on my 08 GS and also my 2012 RSS , as stated in my first post, yes the Ryker is a bit smaller so that's why I recommended you look for the " Shark " stereo ... this comes with speakers mounted into plastic PODS .... which you would attach ( possibly on the windshield ) or the spyder tupperware ..... check E-bay ...... good luck .... Mike
    OOOOOHHH!!! Sorry, blonde got the best of me

Spyder Garage

I just installed a Boss MC520B handlebar system on my 2009 Roadster SE5 . I have a Boss MC500 on my Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan Nomad and they work and sound great , even with my Vance & Hines exhaust ( at any speed ) . The 520B has Bluetooth . Check it out at Sonicelectronix.com . For 93 bucks , it has everything ... usb , sdi card , 3.5 acc jack with Bluetooth and a remote to scan and change radio stations or music tracks . Not for everyone .. but it works for me ... Good luck !!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2009 Roadster SM5 , Silver and Black

Spyder Garage

Lot's of good suggestions here. Someone may have spoken to this already.
    Forgive me if it's a repeat.
    My advice is contrary to others, and contrary to what you've asked.
    I've found the best music comes from in-helmet speakers.
    The newer systems can be set up with battery operated bluetooth so you don't have to deal with installation or wires, and you have the added benefit of an intercom between you and your daughter.
    You can use a smartphone or any bluetooth mp3 player/radio for a music source that doesn't take up a lot of space.
    Also counter-intuitive, but you get better sound if you wear foam earplugs. The earplugs will cut down the extraneous sounds, but your ears are close enough to the speakers to allow the music to get through.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    The newer systems can be set up with battery operated bluetooth so you don't have to deal with installation or wires, and you have the added benefit of an intercom between you and your daughter.
    You can use a smartphone or any bluetooth mp3 player/radio for a music source that doesn't take up a lot of space.
    Also counter-intuitive, but you get better sound if you wear foam earplugs. The earplugs will cut down the extraneous sounds, but your ears are close enough to the speakers to allow the music to get through.

I do have a sena 3 in my helmet, but it cuts out BAD. I dont know if it needs updated or if it's just that crappy?

Spyder Garage

I do have a sena 3 in my helmet, but it cuts out BAD. I dont know if it needs updated or if it's just that crappy?
    Sena 3? I'm not familiar with that. Perhaps you meant the Sena 30K That's the newest one.
    I have a pair of Sena 20S units that I'm pretty happy with.
    Have you tried doing a firmware upgrade ?
    Here is something else I've found. Are you using your cellphone for music ? Or do you have your cell phone paired to the headset for calls? Every time your cellphone annunciates, it cuts out the music and you get a deadspot.
    That means every time you get an email, or a text message, or the state tests the emergency broadcast system, or your calendar gives you schedule reminder, or you go in or out of network range, or wi-fi networks become available as you travel, or weather alerts, or traffic alerts, or a politician asks for money, or software updates, etc., etc., the music will cut out for a brief time.
    We don't pay any attention to the number of alerts our phones generate when we're just sitting in the living room but they can be many and are more obvious when they interfere with our tunes on the road.
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

I bought a Goldhawk stereo motorcycle last summer, installed it and then realized the Ryker is just to loud to hear music. Most all of my riding is at highway speeds, 55 mph or more so I just took the system off and put it back in the box. The speakers were quite loud but not enough. Years ago I had a stereo on my silver wing with faring. That worked quite well. I listened to a few helmet systems, they lacked bass and were to over priced(in my opinion) so I just gave up on the idea. Maybe some one I will find something I really like at a fair price..Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Sena 3? I'm not familiar with that. Perhaps you meant the Sena 30K That's the newest one.
    I have a pair of Sena 20S units that I'm pretty happy with.
    Have you tried doing a firmware upgrade ?
    Here is something else I've found. Are you using your cellphone for music ? Or do you have your cell phone paired to the headset for calls? Every time your cellphone annunciates, it cuts out the music and you get a deadspot.
    That means every time you get an email, or a text message, or the state tests the emergency broadcast system, or your calendar gives you schedule reminder, or you go in or out of network range, or wi-fi networks become available as you travel, or weather alerts, or traffic alerts, or a politician asks for money, or software updates, etc., etc., the music will cut out for a brief time.
    We don't pay any attention to the number of alerts our phones generate when we're just sitting in the living room but they can be many and are more obvious when they interfere with our tunes on the road.
    It's Sena 3s

Spyder Garage

The cardo pack talk bold with jbl speakers has really good sound and does not have to be cranked up to sound good. As for cutting out i never have an issue i also have all alerts turned off on my phone when i ride. The system is expensive but sounds like it is close to the speaker systems you are looking at.

Spyder Garage

It's Sena 3s
    Please keep us posted if adjusting your phone annunciations may help.
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

I have bought these speakers 4 times now and they never disappoint they get plenty loud and sound good Boss Audio Systems MCBK420B Motorcycle Bluetooth Speaker System - Class D Compact Amplifier, 3 Inch Weatherproof Speakers, Volume Control, Great for Use with ATVs/Motorcycles, 12 Volt VehiclesE0051CDE-EF92-4B47-A701-174B5F9C5C0C.jpg