Thread: Seat Comfort?

Spyder Garage

Default Seat Comfort?

Hello all,
    Is there that much difference, as far as comfort between the stock seat and the ultimate seat? We went on a 2k mile trip last summer and never had a problem at all with the stock seat comfort......BUT I'm always tinkering with or 2019 RTL and a new seat may be next on the list.....

Thanks for your time and help!
    P.W.

Spyder Garage

As they say. Don't fix what isn't broke. If the stock seat is comfortable the Ultimate may not be. It would be harder foam then stock.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Good advice from JP58. Personally I hated the stock seat and found an Ultimate Seat to be a tremendous improvement. I found a Russell Seat to be an improvement over the Ultimate Seat. On my new 2020 RTL I'm surprised to find the stock seat to be very good. YMMV!

Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Try and attend a Spyder gathering and see what other people have for seats. If you ask most will let you sit on their Spyder to see how you like the seat. There are many options and just because I lije one brand doesn’t mean you’ll find it comfortable. I prefer a true custom seat that is made based to fit your height and weight.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Seat comfort .... IMHO I must have the perfect shaped A**... I have owned three different Spyders with three different OEM seats.... and really have / had no complaints .... I wish you good luck finding the perfect seat, because your journey could cost up-wards of $ 10,000 easily ...... Mike

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here is a little something that will make you happy, install (yourself) into your seat
    my Custom Motorcycle Gel with Memory Foam kit. you will not be sorry.
    And while your at it install the FREE GAS DOOR
    ONLY $79.95

conformax.jpgGEL embedded in seat.jpg
    CALL ME ANYTIME ...YOU KNOW I AM HOME BY THE PHONE....209-887-3283
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by P.W. View Post
    Hello all,
    Is there that much difference, as far as comfort between the stock seat and the ultimate seat? We went on a 2k mile trip last summer and never had a problem at all with the stock seat comfort......BUT I'm always tinkering with or 2019 RTL and a new seat may be next on the list.....

Thanks for your time and help!
    P.W.
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 03-30-2020 at 11:37 AM.

Spyder Garage

Seats are very personal. I have found that just a sit is not the perfect test. In most cases, they all feel pretty good with just a test sit. Fifty miles of riding will bring out the real character of a seat.

The dilemma: The bad part about that...in most cases...you cannot do the fifty plus mile test. That is where reliance on what people are experiencing is also helpful...keeping in mind that one persons pleasant experience may not be yours.

Bottom line...I have never been able to ride with the OEM version on any of the six spyders I have had the pleasure of owning. My newest is a 2019. My seat replacements all came within the 500 to 1000 mile range.

I did not test sit the 20's since they were not here yet...when I made my last purchase. Other owners (and I know of at least 28 of them), are now getting those miles on the OEM's. Opinions would be appreciated.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Until I came to the Spyder most of the motorcycles I owned had seats that fitted me well. Two exceptions were my 1969 Norton and my 1972 BMW. Back then I didn't know any better. The Spyder was also terrible to me. After a couple of hours, I was looking for a reason to get off for a break. Now I do know better. I hate seeming like a schill for Dave but after I put his gel pad insert in my seat, I could ride all day in comfort. It wasn't that hard just a little time consuming and a lot cheaper then buying a custom seat. I put his gel insert in almost 5 years ago and it is holding up well so far.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze