Spyder Garage

Default Lockdown. Can I ride my bike?

I wonder, if I am not in a group, can I still ride alone? Where I live, almost all businesses have been shutdown by the city, not the state.
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

I’m in Aus not the US, and we are in semi lockdown (allowed to go out to essential shops/doctors etc, but not congregate) and I can not think of any reason that riding a bike (especially if you only stop for a rest or to take in a view), why a riding loop presents any danger of infection to anyone........that does not mean there isn’t a valid reason, but I would question anyone who says I am being reckless or endangering others in any way. I am still riding a couple of 100km loops that I enjoy, and no one in authority has even spared me a second glance.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

You will have to make a decision on that. Different interpretations from different places. I posted the following in a similar thread.

IMO...each person has to consider the legal and moral implications of their actions.

That is way above my pay grade...so I am not going to try to justify any side of the argument.

Be safe, and avoid catching the virus.

IMO...there is no one "right" answer.

There are three of four CV threads running now. Suggest a read and some of the information should help you make a decision.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Well, IMO, as long as I don't stop anywhere I see no harm. When I get in my car and go to the grocery store it's more dangerous.
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Pretty much everything Peteoz said above applies to me - same country, different State, but similar 'semi-lockdown' rules apply.....

But like ARtraveler says, each of us has to consider how our choices might effect us AND everyone else - we ARE all in this together!!

Sooo, further to that, I think you/all of us do need to consider where you/we might ride!! Apart from the fact that there's not gonna be too much open, so you need to plan your coffee breaks, rest stops, re-fuelling stops, & maybe even your intended 'take-away' lunch pick-ups carefully; you also need to consider not only those people YOU might come into contact with (even if you take appropriate precautions, have they done so too?) but also ALL of the people THEY may have come into contact with recently AND who or what might've just sneezed onto that surface you just leant on as you reached over the new, wider counter-top to pick-up your coffee/lunch or to wave your card/phone at the tap-n-go!! (cos they won't take potentially contaminated cash any more!! ) PLUS, you should also consider the possibility that YOU might actually be (unknowingly?) a 'Super Spreader'!! So even if you're careful to sanitise your hands & try not touch any parts of your anatomy that could let a virus get into/onto you - or transfer one out of you; what might your jacket elbow (that just brushed the door handle) or the base of your helmet (that you put down on top of the counter while you picked up your coffee) or even your Spyder (that interested kid/envious adult who checked it out might've touched it; and who knows what they could've picked up or what else they've shared) be leaving OR picking up & carrying on to next place &/or into your home?!?

So it's not just a case of what YOU might be exposing yourself to by taking a 'mental health ryde' or even by visiting the grocery store, but also consider how/where you stop and what YOU might end up unknowingly transporting from one stop to the next, or might even end up bringing back into your own home?!? Still, there's a difference between 'practicing safe Social Distancing & Hand Hygiene' and locking yourself in a total isolation ward..... ...... altho I really don't think my jacket, gloves, or boots like the pretty strong 'post trip de-contamination' treatment they're getting atm, and it sureazeck rips the shine off the Spyder!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-28-2020 at 06:18 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post
    Well, IMO, as long as I don't stop anywhere I see no harm. When I get in my car and go to the grocery store it's more dangerous.
    Sounds to me like you have figured out your answer.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red