Thread: Tie Rod Ends

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Tie Rod Ends

I am trying to loosen the lock nuts on the inside on the tie rods. Can any one tell me for sure if the are right hand thread or left hand thread? They are hard to get to and I have not been able to break them loose.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

You need a crowfoot wrench and the inside one is a leftie.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Try cleaning off the threads next to the nut and look closely. That'll show you which way to turn it. I don't know which end is which, but one end will be right hand thread and the other left hand thread.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Inside is lefthand on the ones I've done but it's entirely possible the whole rod is on the opposite way around. Look at the outer end and identify it for right or left then the other end is opposite.

The locknuts can be very tight but you can get to them properly by running the Spyder up ramps, remove the plastic panels below the tie-rods and then you can get good access. The plastics are easily removed so no hassle there.
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Spyder Garage

hi gerald
    once you figure the direction of the outer nut,then the inner nut goes the same way

the other side is opposite but follows the same rule

as prev mentioned,a crows foot spanner is desirable

russ
    pres ride
    2014 RT-S
    bike is WIP
    bike has endured elect spike (was jump started incorrectly)
    still a WIP but bike is now running and registered....swapped out 5 modules mostly sourced from Canadian wrecker

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks to all you for your help . I did remove the two plastic panels under the tie rods and was able to break the lock nuts loose. They were really tie. I am going to get a set of crowfoot sockets. They would sure make it easier. Thanks again
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS