Spyder Garage

Default Dess module question

I have to replace my DESS module on my 2014 RT LIMITED. Once you replace the module, do you have to do a reset on your keys?

Spyder Garage

Good morning only,
    I replaced the DESS module on my '14 RTS about a year ago. I had gotten a few warnings/ non starts so I went for it. No, you don't have to do anything with the key except turn it on and ryde. I DID remove the frunk to replace it though. Once the frunk is out of the way it's only a few moments and the new DESS is in

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by onlyonepro View Post
    I have to replace my DESS module on my 2014 RT LIMITED. Once you replace the module, do you have to do a reset on your keys?
    ,,, with Lew.... someone here claimed you can do this without removing the Frunk .... well that's pure Hooey, - why ???? .. even after removing the battery you can't SEE what you are doing, there is only about 1/2 inch of clearance between the plastic trunk wall and the module, and the module is bolted to the frame, and there are a couple of wire ties that need to cut ..... After the DESS failed in my 14 RT, while I was at Spyderfest, the dealer said they couldn't replace it because they were swamped with work.... I told them I would bring back without the Frunk on, they said OK it only takes 5 min. if the frunk is off ... The BRP techs changed it while I watched .... When I got home I moved the new module to a space just under the right headlight - just in case it had to be done again on the road.... I have pics and an explanation in one of my Albums..... pic #1 shows where my module is now ....pic #2. shows EXACTLY where it was ..... easy-peasy once the frunk is off .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ,,, with Lew.... someone here claimed you can do this without removing the Frunk .... well that's pure Hooey, -
    That'll be me and we've had this conversation before. Whether you can do it with the front trunk on or not depends on your skill level. The unit is held in place by two m6 screws, (10mm spanner) and it's cable is cable tied to the chassis. The cable tie is the tricky bit, cutting it without nicking the adjacent cables, go gently.

However, you can save yourself a pile of work if you leave the old one in place. Just disconnect its connector, it has a small tag, and the lead is plenty long enough for you to reconnect the new unit and mount it to the top of the battery clamp with a couple of cable ties. The original unit is rubber bushed, though it doesn't appear to any effect on its failure rate. Putting a little stick-on foam or a patch of rubber beneath the new one might give you peace of mind but I doubt it will make any difference to its life span. Anyway, if you do it this way changing it out a second time if you're unlucky enough to have another failure will take you only a few minutes and could easily be done at the roadside if you carry a spare. Of course, if you carry a spare you'll never need it!

Good luck with it either way.
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by onlyonepro View Post
    FYI, the DESS is an in-between piece. It communicates with the key and sends that info to the engine control module, ECM. Which keys are allowed to operate the Spyder are stored in a data file in the ECM. That's why you can change the DESS without reprogramming the keys into the system.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)