Spyder Garage

Default Headlight Shutters

Has anyone be able to fix a stuck down headlight shutter and how did you do it??
    2016 RTL250.jpg

Thanks...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You must've replaced the bulbs and got the wires inside the shutter. Need to get back into the back of the headlight and clear the cable.

2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by amusher View Post
    Has anyone be able to fix a stuck down headlight shutter and how did you do it??
    2016 RTL250.jpg

Thanks...
    If you replaced those headlights with ...LED's .... a common issue is the LED's have more wiring and it needs to be carefully STUFFED into the rear housing .... it's likely the harness is interfering with the shutter mechanism as stated by flamewinger ..... jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I agree with Mike and when switching from halogen to LED headlights I had to readjust the positioning of some of the LED wiring to clear the shutter movement mechanism on one light. If you stuff an old halogen bulb in the socket and operate the Hi/Low beam switch you can easily see where your LED wiring cannot go to allow the shutter mechanism to work properly.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

The above have it nailed. I had my dealer replace the OEM with LED's on the 2014. I ended up with one stuck shutter. When I took it back for them to fix...it was actually easy. They had overtightend the connections on the stuck one.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Nope, it came with LEDs and its been fine for over the year and half I've had it. I just clicked to low beam one night and it didn't go back up to high.. Wouldn't it have had this problem shortly after installing the LEDs and not this much time later?

Spyder Garage

Nope, it came with LEDs and its been fine for over the year and half I've had it. I just clicked to low beam one night and it didn't go back up to high.. Wouldn't it have had this problem shortly after installing the LEDs and not this much time later?
    Yes it would. IMO of course.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Unless the wire moved over time. I ran all the wires outside of the light housing after I had this issue from the get go. There is room behind the lights for this.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Check for a broken wire. The hi beam power activates the solenoid to open the shutter. If power doesn't get to the solenoid then there is no high beam.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Ok, guess I'll plan on taking it all apart and checking things out.. Thanks for all the input.. Ride safe..

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I developed the stuck shutter syndrome almost a year after I installed LED lights. Took the problem housing apart, repositioned the wiring, tested it before putting all the trim back in place and it's been fine for close to two years since.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.