Thread: 2nd Elka leaker

full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

Default 2nd Elka leaker

Some of you may remember that one year ago I had one of my fairly new (1 year old) Elka Stage 2 front shocks spring a leak. Got it fixed under warranty and it has performed as new during that time. Now the other front is leaking at the shaft. Not happy. If these were on a 4 wheeler pounding around in the desert, I would be a whole lot more sympathetic. This is on a road bike. Given my own preference, paved roads only.
    I am tracking some suspension repair shops down in hopes of getting it repaired locally in the Phoenix area. These things are great when they work but can't say I am happy with their longevity.

Seems most of you are using Fox shocks. For those who have done so, have you had any problems with leakage? If I have to send this shock in for 6 weeks down time as before, I will just buy a pair of Fox or something else first.

Interested in some feedback here.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Failed shocks ..... I went a completely different route .... I kept my OEM front shocks but I engineered a bracket that moved the OEM shocks to a more vertical angle ..... My handling and the feel of the ride improved quite a bit .... and I have put over 35,000 mi on the OEM shocks and they are now great ...... I posted a pic in my albums for both the pre 13 frame ( the Black ones ) and the post 13 frame ( those are the white ones )... I sincerly hope you can resolve this with the seller ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I have fox on my 2015 F3 with no issues. I also installed a set of fox's on our 2014 RT with no issues, and put over 50,000 miles on them. My dealer stopped selling Elka shocks due to the high number of them leaking.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

My opinion, and it will not be popular here, but based on years of working on moto suspension still believes ELKA is a second tier suspension product.

With the current and previous experience, as you are already trying to do, find a suspension tuner that can rebuild them. That should be least cost.

Fox is by no means perfect, however they most times build a decent product.

The new player, M2 may be a consideration, but I have no experience with them.

If needed buy your replacements and sell the Elkas without repairing it. Even leaking, you should do fine as the sheeple attitude will get you big money for the Elkas.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fulltimer View Post
    Some of you may remember that one year ago I had one of my fairly new (1 year old) Elka Stage 2 front shocks spring a leak. Got it fixed under warranty and it has performed as new during that time. Now the other front is leaking at the shaft. Not happy. If these were on a 4 wheeler pounding around in the desert, I would be a whole lot more sympathetic. This is on a road bike. Given my own preference, paved roads only.
    I am tracking some suspension repair shops down in hopes of getting it repaired locally in the Phoenix area. These things are great when they work but can't say I am happy with their longevity.

Seems most of you are using Fox shocks. For those who have done so, have you had any problems with leakage? If I have to send this shock in for 6 weeks down time as before, I will just buy a pair of Fox or something else first.

Interested in some feedback here.
    Been there, Done that twice...Both shocks twice...larryd

Spyder Garage

I had to have both front Elkas rebuilt right after I bought my 2014RTL with 8K on it. I didn't find any place in the Phoenix area that would rebuild at a reasonable price. I sent mine back to Elka for rebuild and they were A-OK for the next 30K miles when I sold the bike. I was told there were some defective seals supplied by a vender when my shocks were built. I bought my bike in Tulsa, OK not knowing the shock seals were bad. I rode it back home to Mesa, AZ during 60+ MPH winds and tornado activity with bad front shocks. Not a good way to get acquainted with a Spyder. If I were to do it over again, I would go with the M2. They were not available when I had my problems but I think, from what I have read, they would make you happy. Good luck..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Call Marcus at M2. He maybe able to help?

Spyder Garage

Might call these guys. Ask them to replace the entire sealheads with new parts they get from ELKA. No doubt get a price first, but they are a reputable suspension shop and easily capable of the task.

They may even have a different seal style they could swap in to increase reliability. Not sure about that but suggest you call and talk with them.

https://stillwellperformance.com/index

full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the input. Sounds like I unknowingly bought a known problem. Shame on me. I should have come here and asked BEFORE I bought them.
    I have found a suspension shop/dealer here in the Phoenix area (actually Gilbert) and the fellow I talked to this AM said they are repairing Elkas. He will have the guy who does that work call me Monday. I think PMK is right, if I can get this one fixed, it will be the least costly. Their website is SDHQOFFROAD.COM if anyone wants to look.

I'll keep you posted.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the input. Sounds like I unknowingly bought a known problem. Shame on me. I should have come here and asked BEFORE I bought them.
    I have found a suspension shop/dealer here in the Phoenix area (actually Gilbert) and the fellow I talked to this AM said they are repairing Elkas. He will have the guy who does that work call me Monday. I think PMK is right, if I can get this one fixed, it will be the least costly. Their website is SDHQOFFROAD.COM if anyone wants to look.

I'll keep you posted.
    I know of SDHQ offroad from Toyota Tacoma forums. They are more into everything offroad than focused on suspension work. Did you check with Stillwell, and are they viable location wise? The truck suspension guys seem a bit more lax than the true moto guys when it comes to rebuilds. Alan Stillwell may have seen the issue before and knows how best to correct it. Then again he might not be interested in working on ELKAS.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    I know of SDHQ offroad from Toyota Tacoma forums. They are more into everything offroad than focused on suspension work. Did you check with Stillwell, and are they viable location wise? The truck suspension guys seem a bit more lax than the true moto guys when it comes to rebuilds. Alan Stillwell may have seen the issue before and knows how best to correct it. Then again he might not be interested in working on ELKAS.
    I haven't called them yet. It's Sunday. I will give them a call tomorrow AM. Thanks for the hit. We are in Apache Junction so they are easily accessible.

Spyder Garage

Yahooooo, I hope. SDHQ does rebuild ELKA and they have the stuff on hand. I rode the bike over today and the fellow I spoke to said I could pick it up tomorrow PM. Seemed pretty much a ho hum for them. I had to take the whole bike over as I have no way to jack it up and take the shock off. Show room is closed and locked but called from outside the door and the repair guy came to the door and all was good. Assuming he knew what he was talking about, and I have no reason to think otherwise, $148.00 plus taking the shock off and on and I should be good to go .

Spyder Garage

Last post for me on this thread. Took the bike on a 150 miler yesterday and it handled great. Total bill including 1 hour lablr for them to remove and install was $264.00. I'm all happy.

Spyder Garage

Last post for me on this thread. Took the bike on a 150 miler yesterday and it handled great. Total bill including 1 hour lablr for them to remove and install was $264.00. I'm all happy.
    Glad to hear this went well!.
    Are you two still in Apache Junction?
    We are back in MN, but will return to AJ in October. Would love to go on more rides with you if your back there then.

Les
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Resurrected this post for consistency purposes.
    If you notice the date that I started this post, all is not well.
    I am now getting both fronts back after ANOTHER repair. Same problem, leakage. The 3rd and last time. If (when) they leak again I will replace them.
    I have to say, when they work they are wonderful. I couldn't ask for better handling, BUT if one can't keep them together, what good are they.
    OK, I'll shut up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Resurrected this post for consistency purposes.
    If you notice the date that I started this post, all is not well.
    I am now getting both fronts back after ANOTHER repair. Same problem, leakage. The 3rd and last time. If (when) they leak again I will replace them.
    I have to say, when they work they are wonderful. I couldn't ask for better handling, BUT if one can't keep them together, what good are they.
    OK, I'll shut up.
    You have the same luck with yours that I have with mine...Mine were repaired twice...last time with new seal heads...I have one seeping again...Just purchased a set of Fox shocks to replace them...I'm done...larryd

Spyder Garage

I've had my Elka Stage 2 front & rear on my 2014 RT for 5+ years and at lease 40,000 miles and not 1 problem with them...
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

And from others, that seems to be the norm. They either work fine any you love them, or they are leakers and you don't. It's really to bad because I have never heard anyone complain about their performance.

Larry, would you keep us or at least me by PM how you like your Fox. I imagine the Fox are a lot less than the M 2's.

Spyder Garage

I remember when they first came out they said they had a bad batch of seals, but I thought they got that fixed!!! Guess if it was me, I would be on the phone asking for a new replacement!! There is ether bad machining in the head or bad parts one or the other!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

3639.jpg
    3288.jpg
    I went with these..they have a very good track record. I didn't go with Elka Because of the leaking seals.
    www.racetech.com

Spyder Garage

I have real good luck with Fox on the snowmobiles for years, and I would say if they work well on one of those machines they should be stellar for a Can Am spyder! But do they make one for a replacement for the rear?? That's the question
    2012 RTL , Pearl