Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

I guess I jumped the gun thinking the trailer wiring harness was the culprit.
    I had forgotten to connect it to the battery before testing it. When connected to the battery it does not cause a problem with the turn signals and brake lights... everything works as it should.

So, I've got everything back to where it was originally... but there are no codes or error messages/lights.

I doubt that I won't have the same problem again somewhere down the road. The only thing I can do is ride it and see if it acts up again.

I didn't put all of the body panels back on... thought I could ride it some without them. If I have to tear into this again it would be a time saver not having to take everything off again. And if I have to take it to a dealer I would prefer to take it without the panels on... some mechanics aren't very careful with painted parts.
    Has anyone ridden with the panels off? If so, did it cause any problem?

Thanks,
    Greg

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gjklockhart View Post
    Has anyone ridden with the panels off? If so, did it cause any problem?
    No problem, other than it might scare the crap out of you to hear just how noisy all the machinery is under the tupperware!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Well I put 120 miles on the bike today. No problems.
    I guess I'll put the body panels back on and just hope the problem(s) never return.
    How long are the codes stored in the system?
    When things get back to normal (from the corona virus) if I have an opportunity to have a technician hook it up to BUDS I will... just to see if there is anything there waiting to cause another problem.

Again, thanks for your help.
    Greg

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gjklockhart View Post
    How long are the codes stored in the system?
    Good question. They usually get checked and cleared by the tech using BUDs before they expire. When I had a throttle body code come up on the 2013 RT I had, the factory service manual or tech bulletin or something of the sort that the tech showed me, said the code would clear after something like 40 no problem restarts.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Take a large seal beam ,the one on older cares and trucks . On the ones with two terminals connect a wire lead to each of the terminals + and - .Pull out the fuse that is burnt and connect the wires from the seal beam in series (+ on one of the fuse holder terminals and - on the other ) The seal beam will light up when you have a short ,(saves all the burnt fuses ) Now you can continue testing ,if the seal beam is on ( shorted ) just unplug wires till seal beam goes out ,there is your short .
    Used this method hundreds of times in my years as a mech .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

stmike, that is a great idea... I'll have to remember that.