Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Spyder Garage

Sorry. Somehow I double posted this one. And, with the current rules. You can no longer remove a post.

Believe me, I'm not trying to get my post count up!

Ride Safe and Stay Healthy!

Jeep.jpg
    Last edited by BajaRon; 04-01-2020 at 09:51 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    This I can tell you...Last evening I warmed up my 2014 RTS and then I removed both drain plugs and left it up on the lift overnight,,,Today I changed the oil filter and the HCM FILTER...Installed all new o-rings and sealing washers...I put 5.2 quarts (5 qts. 6 oz.) of Amsoil...Started it up and ran until fans cycled off and on 3 times...CHECK THE OIL WITHIN 2 MINUTES OR SO AND IT WAS RIGHT ON THE FULL MARK ON THE DIP STICK...larryd
    Interesting. This falls right in line with the capacity chart I have. And yet, I have customers who do the same thing you did and end up short. There must be a logical pattern to all of this. But so far, I do not know who to tell what. It is more than a bit frustrating. But it is better to under fill than to overfill. So I stick with these smaller volume numbers. The large majority of my customers seem to be good with these amounts. A much smaller number tell me that these amounts do not get them to the full mark.

1330a Oil Capicity.jpg
    Last edited by BajaRon; 04-01-2020 at 09:52 AM.

Spyder Garage

I think its time to pull out your dipsticks and put a tape measure to good use.
    they all cant be the same length.

T.P.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by T.P. View Post

T.P.
    I can't believe it's April 1st and I'm not going to take advantage of this post. ;-)

All joking aside, measure the whole thing, bottom of cap to tip, etc. ???
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by T.P. View Post

T.P.
    There are different part numbers for some of the dipstick tubes. Just measuring the dipstick means nothing if the tube it goes in is also a different length.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    There are different part numbers for some of the dipstick tubes. Just measuring the dipstick means nothing if the tube it goes in is also a different length.
    Assembly line mixed the wrong sticks with the wrong tubes???????? Noooo, that could never happen.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Assembly line mixed the wrong sticks with the wrong tubes???????? Noooo, that could never happen.
    Maybe there is just a large bin with sticks and tubes in it. Luck of the draw?

Spyder Garage

Maybe I should change my mechanic he only changes the engine oil ,reckons the amount that comes out the transmission plug,not worth worrying about,he likes to change the oil strait away after you ride it in,puts oil in let’s it idle for a few minutes,then checks the oil on dipstick,does this a couple of times until it is right on the dipstick,he has worked on spiders for about 9 years,never had a problem with engines on the spiders he services,some with high mileage,what do other forum members think.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Patt -- maybe or maybe not.

For my 77K mile 2014 RT-S SE6 cold engine, I first drained the engine plug oil into one container. Then I drained the gearbox plug oil into a separate 2qt container. About 1.5qts of oil came out. But that was my first every oil change for a Spyder.

Your mechanic is draining a hot engine shortly after your arrival. With a dry sump engine, perhaps most of the oil comes out the engine plug with little leftover for the gearbox drain plug.

I'm interested in forum thinking too.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Patt View Post
    Maybe I should change my mechanic he only changes the engine oil ,reckons the amount that comes out the transmission plug,not worth worrying about,he likes to change the oil strait away after you ride it in,puts oil in let’s it idle for a few minutes,then checks the oil on dipstick,does this a couple of times until it is right on the dipstick,he has worked on spiders for about 9 years,never had a problem with engines on the spiders he services,some with high mileage,what do other forum members think.
    I would want that one drained each time if for no other reason to get a look at the magnet on the end of the plug.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So Golf why do you convert the issue to being my fault....................

"Time to find another dealer..........."