Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default oil capacity 1330

i recently did an oil change on my 2016 f3lim
    i checked the handbook and the workshop manual and it specd 4.7 litres with filter
    so thats what it got......i dont try to check with dipstick as i find dry sump engines a little fluky to check

anyway,a punter comes over for an oil change,not long after,with a 2019 F3 so i checked his book for capacity,just to be anal, and it calls for 5.2 litres

so i went back to my bike and checked the dip stick(something i never do...i change oil every 5000kms or 3000miles)and i find no oil on the dipstick

so why are there 2 different recommends? one 4.7 and one 5.2? or am i reading things wrongly?

russ
    pres ride
    2014 RT-S
    bike is WIP
    bike has endured elect spike (was jump started incorrectly)
    still a WIP but bike is now running and registered....swapped out 5 modules mostly sourced from Canadian wrecker

Spyder Garage

Ha .. They're different each year in a 2018/2019/2020 F3 owners manual. Why ? Who knows. Start at 5.25 qts/ride/check/add if necessary.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Maybe one is if you change the oil filter and one is if you don't?
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

BRP has spent a good bit of time and effort to explain the oil level checking procedure for the 1330 ACE engine so operator's can get a reliable dipstick reading on a fully warmed up engine. If you follow the procedure for checking the oil level beginning on pg 115 of your operator's guide you will routinely get a correct reading on the dipstick. If you delay any more than two minutes in checking the dipstick after turning off a fully warmed up engine gravity has begun to allow oil to drain from the dry sump tank back into the crankcase and there is not a reliable way to verify how much oil has drained out of the tank over time.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I can tell you the 1330 engine is mostly unchanged for 2015 thru 2019, to the point they are directly interchangeable, electronics, harness, ECM etc. IE a 2019 engine is a direct fit in a 2015 bike and vice versa.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Mine takes a little over 5 Quarts or 4.7 liters. So put in 4.7 and ride it then check it when you get it warm.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

5 quarts got mine to the halfway dot on the stick.
    I'm staying with it.

Spyder Garage

My user handbook and service manual for the same bike have that discrepancy too. I put in 5 litres and it's always been fine.
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by merlot View Post
    i recently did an oil change on my 2016 f3lim
    i checked the handbook and the workshop manual and it specd 4.7 litres with filter
    so thats what it got......i dont try to check with dipstick as i find dry sump engines a little fluky to check

anyway,a punter comes over for an oil change,not long after,with a 2019 F3 so i checked his book for capacity,just to be anal, and it calls for 5.2 litres

so i went back to my bike and checked the dip stick(something i never do...i change oil every 5000kms or 3000miles)and i find no oil on the dipstick

so why are there 2 different recommends? one 4.7 and one 5.2? or am i reading things wrongly?
    I trust you are familiar with the term "screw up", and its more seemly variations? It would be interesting to know if the BRP document writers sometimes just do a poor job of quality control over the writing process, or just the translation process from French to English. Being in Quebec BRP by law is a French first company.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Interestingly, because I sell a lot of oil. Some of my 1330 customers tell me that 5 quarts gets them right near the full mark. And others tell me that 5 quarts barely wets the dip stick (though this is much less common). All change the engine oil filter with every service. And changing the trans filter on the SE6 does not require more than about 0.2 quarts more, according to the book. Or at least the book that I took my numbers from.

There is no way that I can see that the oil capicity could vary on the 1330 Rotax engine (other than the small difference between the SM6 and the SE6). So it has been a bit of a mystery to me.

1330a Oil Capicity.jpg
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Interestingly, because I sell a lot of oil. Some of my 1330 customers tell me that 5 quarts gets them right near the full mark. And others tell me that 5 quarts barely wets the dip stick (though this is much less common). All change the engine oil filter with every service. And changing the trans filter on the SE6 does not require more than about 0.2 quarts more, according to the book. Or at least the book that I took my numbers from.

There is no way that I can see that the oil capicity could vary on the 1330 Rotax engine (other than the small difference between the SM6 and the SE6). So it has been a bit of a mystery to me.

1330a Oil Capicity.jpg
    THANK YOU Ron, I have my Spyder on the lift right now changing the oil, filter & hcm filter and have been looking for how much additional oil is required when changing the hcm filter...larryd

Spyder Garage

I wonder if the difference relates to whether the engine was run, and for how long, before the oil was drained and after 5 qts was put in. I have six empty bottles out in the garage from changing the oil and filter last week. Five were full and one about 1/3 full. I took the Spyder out for a several mile run after putting in 5 qts. When I came back and checked the level it was low. I added the remaining part bottle and that brought the oil level between the two marks. The oil was hot when I drained it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Just my experience and I went the extra because I had heard so many conflicting things about oil capacity.
    When I changed oil in my 2019 RTL I checked it before HOT draining and it was full. Drained and measured the amount of oil removed. 5 and 1/2 quarts. Changed engine oil filter. Put in new oil, 5 and 1/2 quarts. Rode it for 30 minutes and rechecked oil level, full.

Here is the table out of the 2019 RT manual. As you can see it is different than the one Ron posted above.

oil quantity.jpg
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Just my experience and I went the extra because I had heard so many conflicting things about oil capacity.
    When I changed oil in my 2019 RTL I checked it before HOT draining and it was full. Drained and measured the amount of oil removed. 5 and 1/2 quarts. Changed engine oil filter. Put in new oil, 5 and 1/2 quarts. Rode it for 30 minutes and rechecked oil level, full.

Here is the table out of the 2019 RT manual. As you can see it is different than the one Ron posted above.

oil quantity.jpg
    Looks like BRP engineers have finally figured out what the reality is with respect to how oil moves around in the engine. The 5.5 number is much closer to what my experience has been. My RT is a 2014. It's also important, maybe critical (?), to check the oil within a just a very few minutes after shutting off the engine. Whatever the pool is that the dipstick is in, it starts draining immediately after the engine is turned off. I noted a year ago that my dipstick was completely dry before I started my RT for the first time after it had sat all winter. After maybe a 10 mile run the oil was at the full mark.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

It would be good to get a definitive, correct oil capacity. You would think BRP might be a bit more diligent in this area. My numbers come straight from the manual. I am more inclined to believe that the numbers from my source are simply wrong as opposed to any changes made to the 1330 ACE motor. I am not an engineer. But if my specs. were off by this much on my Sway Bar Kits. Well, it would not be pretty.

Admittedly, a sway bar is not an oil capacity. But with the engineers that BRP has, it just does not seem reasonable that they would get this wrong. Have I been giving out bad information all these years? Is 5 quarts good for some and not for others? These are pretty important questions to get right. I do not appreciate bad advise. No matter how sincere the source. And I do not want to be guilty of giving it out either.

I appreciate the posts here. It may well be that I need to change my numbers.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

It would be good to get a definitive, correct oil capacity. You would think BRP might be a bit more diligent in this area. My numbers come straight from the manual. I am more inclined to believe that the numbers from my source are simply wrong as opposed to any changes made to the 1330 ACE motor. I am not an engineer. But if my specs. were off by this much on my Sway Bar Kits. Well, it would not be pretty.

Admittedly, a sway bar is not an oil capacity. But with the engineers that BRP has, it just does not seem reasonable that they would get this wrong.
    One of two things, I believe. One, BRP engineers have changed their minds about what level of oil is best, or, the engineers involved with the 2019 product were not aware of what was determined back in 2014/2015. Review this thread from back in 2015. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...0+oil+capacity. It's quite clear that the guidance was that bringing the oil level only up to the bottom nubbin on the dipstick was quite OK. But if the oil level dropped below that point then adding 1/2 liter or 1/2 quart was recommended as that would bring the level in between the low and high nubbins. Apparently they wanted to absolutely avoid having people put too much oil in because of the engine performance issues that could cause. When I put 5 1/3 qts into my 1330 it brought the level up to the halfway, or just over, point.

According to Steve of BRP Cares back then, BRP wanted users to run a bit low rather than take a chance on running high. So yes, we really need to have a good clear definitive answer from BRP, but first they have to get it firmly decided and agreed to inside their own shop. I wonder if an inquiry directly to Rotax would do any good. Maybe it's time to do an end run around BRP?

As far as BRP engineers getting it wrong I would say they haven't. But they certainly have published conflicting advice, and that is quite understandable. Engineers are always prone to "improve it" (I'm one!) so it's quite plausible in my mind that later engineers didn't agree with, or didn't understand, the rationale about letting oil level be at the low point that the earlier engineers had determined and so came up with a different recommendation. This confusion wouldn't have happened if BRP would have changed the dipstick and put the nubbins lower back in 2015.

My take away from all this is put 5 qts in, run until the engine is hot, and then check the level. Add oil to whatever level makes you feel good, but for sure stay below the full nubbin. And don't be concerned about running a little bit under the low nubbin.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

First thing to do would be to find out if all the dipsticks are the same length. They would not be likely to change the engine design to hold more or less oil, but they just might change the dipstick which is used to measure the oil level, if they have determined the earlier engines had too high an oil level.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    First thing to do would be to find out if all the dipsticks are the same length...
    Go to Cheap Cycle Parts and check the part numbers from MYs 2014 - 2017 for F3.s and RTs.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Go to Cheap Cycle Parts and check the part numbers from MYs 2014 - 2017 for F3.s and RTs.
    Yeah, different part numbers on the different model dipsticks, but also different part numbers on the oil filler tubes for the different models.

Doesn't really tell anything about actual oil level in the engine. Won't be able to tell anything from the part numbers or measuring. They put a different filler tube with the different dipstick.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default This thread is getting to be like the coronavirus threads.............

I understand that the length of the dip stick can be compromised. The one on my wife's jeep cherokee is 1qt off. My 2014 1330 always reads the same. Hot, cold or warm, before I start it or after I've shut it down for 2min, 10min or 2 days or 10 days. When I change the oil and filter I put 5qt's of oil in it and I don't look back for another 9k miles. The oil level on the dip stick has never changed in over 40k miles. The level on the dip stick is always between the dots, always. The only time i'd be freaked out is if i found fresh oil on the ground below where I parked my ride, and I do check that often, both before I park and after leave the parking spot.

Spyder Garage

Ahhh.. Different part numbers for different length dipsticks/filler tubes would explain a lot

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

In the grand scheme of things with the 1330 ACE engine the old adage "RTFM" applies. We owners of 2014 RTs suffered the worst in the introduction of the engine in that the picture of the dipstick in the op guide was of a V-twin engine and the initial fill amount was wrong. BRP corrected the initial fill amount to 5.0 qt which put the dipstick level right at the "Min" mark. I ran a couple of oil changes following this procedure and then decided to add enough oil in 2 oz increments checking the level with each addition and ultimately settled on an additional 6 oz total that put the fill level right midway between the "Min" and "Max" marks on the dipstick. I check the level about every 1,000 miles even though I know it doesn't use a drop. For the heck of it this morning I checked the level cold on the bike that has not been run since the last week in Feb and it was at the level roughly shown by the red line in the picture2014 1330 Engine Dipstick for RT Model_LI.jpg.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    In the grand scheme of things with the 1330 ACE engine the old adage "RTFM" applies. We owners of 2014 RTs suffered the worst in the introduction of the engine in that the picture of the dipstick in the op guide was of a V-twin engine and the initial fill amount was wrong. BRP corrected the initial fill amount to 5.0 qt which put the dipstick level right at the "Min" mark. I ran a couple of oil changes following this procedure and then decided to add enough oil in 2 oz increments checking the level with each addition and ultimately settled on an additional 6 oz total that put the fill level right midway between the "Min" and "Max" marks on the dipstick. I check the level about every 1,000 miles even though I know it doesn't use a drop. For the heck of it this morning I checked the level cold on the bike that has not been run since the last week in Feb and it was at the level roughly shown by the red line in the picture2014 1330 Engine Dipstick for RT Model_LI.jpg.
    Putting in 5.25 quarts after an oil and filter change, puts mine at half way between point 1 and point 2 on your picture. That is with checking it according to the manual. Works every time. I measure it with a kitchen measuring cup............ 2019 F3-S.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Ha .. They're different each year in a 2018/2019/2020 F3 owners manual. Why ? Who knows. Start at 5.25 qts/ride/check/add if necessary.
    You are so right! I just checked those three years RT operators guides. So my conclusion is:

Attn: 2019 1330 owners. BRP screwed up the 2019 Operators Guide re: oil change quantities.

The oil refill specification for 2020 is back to the the 2015 to 2018 specs. The 2019 spec is wrong when compared to all the other years.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    You are so right! I just checked those three years RT operators guides. So my conclusion is:

Attn: 2019 1330 owners. BRP screwed up the 2019 Operators Guide re: oil change quantities.

The oil refill specification for 2020 is back to the the 2015 to 2018 specs. The 2019 spec is wrong when compared to all the other years.
    As stated in another thread, dipstick and oil filler tube part #'s are also different year/year. That could play a part in oil capacity measurements. As far as the 2019 spec being wrong, I think us 2019 owners would have likely heard something direct from BRP, as proper oil capacity is pretty important ...

2022 RT Sea To Sky