Spyder Garage

Default Where does that Rear Caliper Spacer go, forward or back?

Hi all, so I changed my rear tire on my 2014 RT. Pulled the Brake Caliper 2 bolts no spacer fell out at this point, later that eve I found a spacer on the floor. Not sure if it was forward or back bolt of the Caliper?? So, wondering the reason for the spacer? Is it for brake alignment or speed sender clearance or ?? Steve
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-13-2023 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Removed Prefix - not 1330 engine specific & expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Not sure what you're referring to here. If you pulled the rear wheel, there are spacers between the swingarm and the wheel. There are also shims on the anti-lock brake sensor. They look like small washers, and there could be a few of them. There are no spacers at the calipers, just the two bolts. Without a photo of what you found, it's hard to say.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I recall having to put a spacer back in when I had the caliper out, but don't recall where it went. I think it might be for aligning the caliper to the disc so try it in both places and see if you can tell which makes the caliper fit better. I think that is what I did. The washer/spacer is not mentioned in the service manual nor in the BRP parts list.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Look for marks. If one bolt had a spacer, you will see a round printing. I’ve not seen a spacer in any 14 or newer bikes. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Brake calipers are shimmed to make the same amount of space on each side of the caliper.

Not sure there is a video for Spyder, but you can find videos on the web about shimming calipers. Principal is the same, whether it is a car or a Spyder. Auto parts places should have the shims. All they need to know is the bolt size.

Take a look at this. If you can get it back where it was, it might equalize the space. If not, try a feeler gauge on it. Might not be in the manual. Shimming is general mechanical stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dywYE-TAWHs

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-...ignment%20aid.
    Last edited by Gwolf; 04-28-2023 at 10:13 PM.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It goes back where it came off and if you didn’t see where it came off then look for any sign where it might have been.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cahoots5 View Post
    Pulled the Brake Caliper 2 bolts no spacer fell out at this point, later that eve I found a spacer on the floor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    It goes back where it came off...
    I'm pretty sure based on his first post he does not know where it came off from. That is the point of the whole thread.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    Brake calipers are shimmed to make the same amount of space on each side of the caliper.

Not sure there is a video for Spyder, but you can find videos on the web about shimming calipers. Principal is the same, whether it is a car or a Spyder. Auto parts places should have the shims. All they need to know is the bolt size.

Take a look at this. If you can get it back where it was, it might equalize the space. If not, try a feeler gauge on it. Might not be in the manual. Shimming is general mechanical stuff.
    Yes, my ‘16 F3 calliper had 3 shims on it, Gwolf. Fortunately, in the instructions I was following it said to take detailed photos of everything you were taking apart, especially the shims. Like Cahoots, I found one shim on the floor after removing the calliper. If I didn’t have the photos, I would have been using the feeler gauge you mention.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red