Thread: Spyder radio

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder radio

Does anybody out there know if the RT radio will plug into a Spyder ST-S? All the stock radios look the same, have the same functions, and operate of the same handlebar switch. Never the less I can't find any documentation on if it is the same radio. They all have different part numbers but seem to be the same thing. Any gurus out there that can shed some light on this??

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Hawk View Post
    Does anybody out there know if the RT radio will plug into a Spyder ST-S? All the stock radios look the same, have the same functions, and operate of the same handlebar switch. Never the less I can't find any documentation on if it is the same radio. They all have different part numbers but seem to be the same thing. Any gurus out there that can shed some light on this??
    On most veh's today, the MAIN wiring harnesses are the same .... some veh's have ALL the bells & whistles and the extra's will be plugged in so they function .... I think the St type did have a factory radio as an Option .... if so the wiring should be there .... this can be checked if you go to CHEAPCYCLEPARTS.COM and enter the wiring harness number in the " what part number " box .... it will show you every Spyder ( and year ) that the part has been used in ...... now the bad news ... will the radio from the RT series have a place to put it .... and will it fit .... the other issue will be the CONTROLS .... this could be a very,very expensive thing to do .... OPTION - B .... get a SHARK stereo and use that ..... look on e-bay and get one with a separate wired remote .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

It had the radio option so I think the wires are there. From what I can decipher it looks like the radio was the same from 2010 to 2015 I think. I was just wondering because the radio is the only option that my ST-S doesn't have. I added the heated grips and adjustable bars off the RT and they worked. The radios though have a different part number for every year.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It had the radio option so I think the wires are there. From what I can decipher it looks like the radio was the same from 2010 to 2015 I think. I was just wondering because the radio is the only option that my ST-S doesn't have. I added the heated grips and adjustable bars off the RT and they worked. The radios though have a different part number for every year.
    Looking at the operator's guide for the 2013 and 2015 ST it looks like the cluster and its operation is the same as the RT. The ST guide even mentions CB so I'm inclined to think the RT audio system is the same as the optional ST one. The radio part numbers change each year as minor tweeks are made to the design from year to year.

You're in luck! I just checked the parts list for a 2015 ST Limited and the 2015 RT SE6. The radio module part number is the same, so yes, and RT radio will fit your ST! The P/N for 2015 is 710004211.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I have a 2013 ST-S but I assume the same applies. Thanks for the help. I've been looking for that answer for years.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2013 ST-S but I assume the same applies. Thanks for the help. I've been looking for that answer for years.
    I'd get the newest radio you can find. BRP has done pretty good with keeping things forward and backward compatible for the same item.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

There are some changes in the 2016 radio. I think that will make it not compatible with previous years.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I think 2015 was the last year they made the ST so it would make sense that it would change then. Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    On most veh's today, the MAIN wiring harnesses are the same .... some veh's have ALL the bells & whistles and the extra's will be plugged in so they function .... I think the St type did have a factory radio as an Option .... if so the wiring should be there .... this can be checked if you go to CHEAPCYCLEPARTS.COM and enter the wiring harness number in the " what part number " box .... it will show you every Spyder ( and year ) that the part has been used in ...... now the bad news ... will the radio from the RT series have a place to put it .... and will it fit .... the other issue will be the CONTROLS .... this could be a very,very expensive thing to do .... OPTION - B .... get a SHARK stereo and use that ..... look on e-bay and get one with a separate wired remote .... good luck .... Mike
    I have a 2013 st-s. the radio harness is under the rear left side panel, clutch side. 3screws and 4pins to remove and unplug signal light. There is a wide harness there. I bought a boss audio bluetooth modulewith a wired volume control, installed it under there, taped into factory wires for front speakers and installed the other two speakers in there one on each side of rear, i used the front two where they go,just poped the grills out and pou a 5 inch round piecebof plexi with a 3 1/2 in hole in middle and sliped the 4 inch speaker in , cost me $100 canadian, better than the $1000 for radio module,because you still need speakers and the antenna. Want any info just message me.

Spyder Garage

Well guys it was a lot of work and a lot of research but I can finally say that, yes, it will work. I got a full RT radio kit from a seller on eBay. He had it for a long time and wanted to sell it. He said it would not work but if I wanted to try it he would let me have it on the cheap.
    After getting it I soon realized that the audio cable, (710002831), was missing as was the antenna connector, its harness, the brackets for the radio, (RH Radio Support 705202617) (LH Radio Support 705202618), and various bolts. The harness and brackets I was able to get from Cheap Cycle Parts and the antenna I will get from another source. Lowe's and Home Depot supplied the missing screws and bolts. I topped it off by adding two Polk Audio speakers, (DB501's), that were a direct replacement for the factory speakers. No filling, drilling, modification needed.

It is all done and the outcome was just right. I now have full access to my iPod and FM radio for the long trips that, I hope, are soon to come.

Thanks to all of the groups input on this.

Spyder Garage

Superb!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Spyder Hawk, thanks for letting every one know it works. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

It could be done pretty cheap now that I know. You could get just the radio off eBay and order the brackets and wire harness from Cheap Cycle Parts. Sort the speakers from eBay and you have control of everything from the cluster for about 200.00-300.00. Pretty good considering now much the kits are...if you can find one.

Spyder Garage

Well it turns out that an 2010 RT radio, though it does work, will not charge an iPod without the cable from 2010. There was circuitry in the little box that was connected to it that I believe is required. Does anybody have one of those relics from days gone by that they do not need???