Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: trunk gaz shock

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Again my opinion is this is a 5 out of 5 difficulty for most here.
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...Gas+strut+1000
    Thanks for sharing with us. Stay healthy!!
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Further research in the McMaster Carr catalog with the BRP strut and ruler in front of me, they do not have a strut of the correct length nor correct eye fitting. The BRP ones are custom for application just as BRP told me years ago.
    As I recall Mike said the M-C struts were put together from individual parts and pieces, not a complete off the shelf unit. Which way did you come up empty, one or both?

I found the ones from Amazon by Lift Depot noted above worked quite well other than I had to make a spacer for the eye end to accommodate the smaller diameter Spyder bolt. It's a loose fit but for the trunk lid that doesn't matter. Here's what I did. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1406313

For sure, for a direct "plug and play" replacement the BRP ones are the only ones available, it looks like.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    As I recall Mike said the M-C struts were put together from individual parts and pieces, not a complete off the shelf unit. Which way did you come up empty, one or both?

I found the ones from Amazon by Lift Depot noted above worked quite well other than I had to make a spacer for the eye end to accommodate the smaller diameter Spyder bolt. It's a loose fit but for the trunk lid that doesn't matter. Here's what I did. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1406313

For sure, for a direct "plug and play" replacement the BRP ones are the only ones available, it looks like.
    I did exactly as you did including the trip Napa. I found the perfect spacer at Ace Hardware. It fit just like it was made for it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post

Came up empty both ways and the parts list in the referenced post are incorrect length as well.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Came up empty both ways and the parts list in the referenced post are incorrect length as well.
    Excited, I too gave a look at possibly using aftermarket items based on posts here. One post seemed promising, but required buying a series of individual items. Uncertain if the results would be acceptable, I toyed with simply buying oem parts.

Having worked with Gas Springs in other applications before, I knew most likely the issue was pressure loss and not complete seal failure. Opted away from buying any parts, and still never sorted out if the items listed in these Spyderlovers posts would be the equivalent or better than oem.

Spyder Garage

I bought a prop rod from Pierre at CanamSpyderaccessories.com. It was easier than replacing the gas shock. It looks good. works good. Have not been ryding yet so use has been limited to install but seems ok.

Spyder Garage

Just replaced my trunk strut with the Amazon part referenced above. No more falling trunk lid for us.
    AA1ACDE4-625D-4971-A189-D6E54C1991A4.jpg
    2023 Plasma Red F3 Limited
    2020 Ryker Rally.

Spyder Garage

Here's the quick, easy, and inexpensive solution to a bad trunk gaz shock: Don't replace it! Just get one of the flat, blue, often free LED flashlights from Harbor Freight. It's the perfect size and shape to slip between the trunk hinge and the housing to hold the lid open. It's a good idea to have a flashlight on a vehicle anyhow, so keep it in the trunk and it'll be there for either purpose.

Spyder Garage

Just received and installed new gas shock for trunk lid. Works great. Ordered from Amazon. Offered by Lift Supports Depot, $44.00. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles