Spyder Garage

Default 2019 CanAm RT LTD Problem?

Hi Everyone.. I am brand new to Can-Am riding!

I have a new 2019 RT LTD... I have experienced one issue which I can't figure out. I have less than 400 miles on the unit and this has happened three times.
    While Idling at a stoplight, the unit pops from first into N ( by itself). Once it goes to N, it is extremely difficult to reengage it into first so I can move when the light changes.
    Why would it pop into N by itself? How can I stop that? Also, Once I put it into N while idling at a stoplight and I could not move it into first for a couple of minutes ( same issue).

I have also noticed there is a lag when I try to put it into reverse after driving ( I have to try multiple times).

Thanks for any tips/advice so fix this issue!
    Anne
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-13-2020 at 07:38 PM. Reason: This is a 'How do I?' not a 'How to:' dyi explanation....

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

First ... & ... .... You have the SE trans, so the only thing I can think of ( considering you are new ) is you had accidentally put it in neutral by touching the Paddle shifter. ..... If the transmission is shifting by-itself I hope your / the dealer has a really good mechanic ..... good luck ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Maybe I did? not sure, but I will have to play around with it and try to figure it out, maybe my hand was still on the paddle shifter which is why I couldn't move it back, thank you, I will check next time the sun is out!

Spyder Garage

Agree, revisit the basics.

Anytime going from neutral to 1 or R, firmly apply the brake.

If the bike is at a light, stopped, but idling in first gear, move your left hand outboard, away from the shifter.

As you accelerate, you must maintain steady or increasing throttle. Decreasing throttle confuses the computer and makes for erratic shifts.

Spyder Garage

leedlelop, I would add from personal experience that the combo of foot brake applied, reverse button held down firmly (completely) and paddle shifter pushed to the rear can be pain to do at the start. You do get used to it after a bit and the problems go away.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by leedlelop View Post
    Maybe I did? not sure, but I will have to play around with it and try to figure it out, maybe my hand was still on the paddle shifter which is why I couldn't move it back, thank you, I will check next time the sun is out!
    I forgot to add .... make sure the oil level is correct ..... all sorts of issues can occur if it isn't ...... Follow the oil check wording in your owners manual .... and I check mine " after " a ride of more than 10 minutes ..... then you don't have to waste time and gas when you begin your next ride ..... Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The RT will shift into N or R without depressing the brake. It will not shift into 1 unless you depress the brake pedal.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    The RT will shift into N or R without depressing the brake. It will not shift into 1 unless you depress the brake pedal.
    You sir are correct. Had to go check it out to see. Think I may have formed that opinion because it seems over 50% of the time I shift into reverse I find myself on some level of slope. If it is rolling it does not want to shift into reverse without stopping first, at least most of the time.

Spyder Garage

You have to be completely stopped for the transmission to shift into neutral or reverse. And like others have said to make sure your foot is on the brake pedal applying pressure to the pedal when trying to shift into reverse.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    You have to be completely stopped for the transmission to shift into neutral or reverse. And like others have said to make sure your foot is on the brake pedal applying pressure to the pedal when trying to shift into reverse.
    I'm going to have to check that out. Seems to me like it will shift into reverse even if you are rolling backwards.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

I agree with Mike, and if you remember your riding actions you know it takes just a slight nudge of the downshifting paddle switch with your index finger to shift into Neutral; a thick glove or minor finger flex could trigger a shift. I'll let IMS check to find out if the trans will shift into Reverse if you're rolling backwards, but I tend to doubt it because since it's a constant mesh transmission it seems reasonable to believe it would not automatically shift without the brake being applied before you try to shift. The brake application lock out is to prevent accidental lurches either forward or backward.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

It will shift into reverse if moving, just not all the time. Sorta like you can't shift from reverse to neutral without going into first, first. Sometimes if everything is just right, it will. That tells me that altho something is always supposed to be one way, there can be exceptions.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Sorta like you can't shift from reverse to neutral without going into first, first.
    I'm pretty sure you can, but you have to hit the paddle quickly or keep your foot off the brake. If you hold it for a couple of seconds or so it will go direct from R to 1. To do that you must have the brake pressed.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

There was a known problem with the 2018 model RTL's with the left switchpack, which is a self contained non maintenance item. A quality control issue I suspect. Mine manifested with a parking brake issue, but I have read accounts of shifting problems emanating from the shift paddle. Pretty sure this carried over to the '19 models.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.