Spyder Garage

Default First post, New Member, not yet an owner of a Spyder

Hey all,
    New member here just starting out searching for my first Spyder.
    Question, What is considered high mileage on a used Spyder?
    Any suggestions for a newbie lookingto own a used Spyder?
    Any and all comments would be appreciated.
    Thanks for taking the time

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WillieB View Post
    Hey all,
    New member here just starting out searching for my first Spyder.
    Question, What is considered high mileage on a used Spyder?
    Any suggestions for a newbie lookingto own a used Spyder?
    Any and all comments would be appreciated.
    Thanks for taking the time
    ...... IMHO , more than 10,000 mi. per season .... remember some riding seasons are longer than others..... BRP no longer makes a Spyder with the orig. V-twin engine. in 2014 they beagn the 1330 triple with a different transmission, I bought one because of that ....Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks Mike, I am currently interested in a 2016 or newer F3 Se6 Limited as I like the removable trunk.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default F3

Yes the F3 is a good choice. Be sure and Ryde several Spyders and get a little time to the Ryde curve. The Spyder is different than a 2 wheeler.
    My wife took the Spyder Ryde Course and that was a big help. I'm sure others will post tips for you......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Hey just got my 2012 RTL with 3300 miles. Pearl White. I wanted the 2014 with the new engine for better gas mileage ,less oil changes etc. But the cheapest one I found that I liked was 14-15k and that's too much for me. There are PLENTY of GREAT DEALS for the older ones and not being familiar I spent the least amt I could for the most bike. I'm not sorry-the older ones are awesome too!!! Sure I may upgrade later but the changes made over the last ten years won't affect my decision to stay within a budget. I really love this bike so far . Mileage shouldn't be a problem as these are very reliable if taken care of and not exposed to harsh conditions. Read the do's and dont's section. Ask questions. Friendly group here once you get the hand of the website.I like the LIMITED models as adding things is always pricey. I would say if you can find an older one with a lot of accessories that you won't need to add ..factor that in as these are expensive farckles ( they're terms not mine) ie pass arm rests hitches sway bars trunk stuff fancy lights paint job decals I went with the limited as it has gauges heated stuff extra lights etc, Have fun looking thats half the fun
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Like any used bike purchase, just look for the usual signs of abuse or neglect. The ACE 1330 drive train has proven itself to be very robust, so any real gremlins could be in the electronics so make sure they all work properly. Low mileage Spyders abound, so high mileage ones are rather rare. There are reports they'll go well over 100k miles without trouble. I traded in my 2014 RT for a new 2020 RTL with almost 60k miles and it was completely trouble free the whole time.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Welcome WillieB!

My situation is similar to yours, ie new to Spyders. This seems to be a good forum, I have been looking at it for about 3 months, a lot of good info explaining "gotchas" and good people. I suggest a lot of investigation on this site prior to purchase. Also check out the vids on YouTube.
    I'm a DIY type and on all my previous rides, I found that I would put at least $1k mods to make it suit my needs. My trips are normally several hundred miles at a time. I first looked at the Ryker but the fuel tank was too small. I live 5 miles off the pavement on country roads with lots of rocks up to 6 inches and rain runnels across the roads. I put a skid plate on mine after the first trip even going super slow had some underside dings. Still looking at larger grips, Cramp Buster for the wrist, belt protector, replacement/mod for Blue Ridge windshield (I'm 5'8", lots of buffeting), anti-sway bars.
    So far after about 300 miles it has been more of a workout than fun while learning the new controls, new riding positions, steering, etc. Of course being in the wind makes it worth while. My ride definitely has more power than I could handle. (my style is usually better safe than sorry). Hopefully by about 1k miles I will have settled in.

Good wishes be with you on your journey!
    2015 Spyder F3-S SE6 (pre-owned, new for me Feb'20. 1st Spyder, decades on 2 wheeler's.)