Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Please do this when you buy - gas

Because of my travel restrictions due to the - VIRUS - I don't buy much gas anymore. .... However I did today, and it dawned on me that those gas pumps ( mostly the handles ) have been touched by hundreds or thousands of hands since I was there last .... So I brought my Bleach / water Spray bottle with me and actually cleaned the entire front of the machine especially the Handle. .... No I didn't wipe it down with a towel , I just left the bleach mix on .... maybe it will protect someone else too, Bleach will kill the Virus ...... just trying to help us all ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

My wife used plastic gloves.

Spyder Garage

Throw away.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Because of my travel restrictions due to the - VIRUS - I don't buy much gas anymore. .... However I did today, and it dawned on me that those gas pumps ( mostly the handles ) have been touched by hundreds or thousands of hands since I was there last .... So I brought my Bleach / water Spray bottle with me and actually cleaned the entire front of the machine especially the Handle. .... No I didn't wipe it down with a towel , I just left the bleach mix on .... maybe it will protect someone else too, Bleach will kill the Virus ...... just trying to help us all ..... Mike
    Mike, the only negative to this that I can see is bleach, even in a low percentage does not play well with many metals and finishes when left on for long periods of time......not that I think you could hurt the finish on most of the unkempt gas pumps I have seen. More of a comment to be careful what you use where due to long term damage.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Estes View Post
    Throw away.
    .... and I'm glad you said this / do this ..... the virus can live on the Glove for quite awhile .....thanks Mike

Spyder Garage

I'm practicing the same kind of thing. I use cheap blue throw away gloves, then rinse my hands with a bleach solution, then rinse with water. Removal of the glove is also a critical point, using the off hand to strip the contaminated glove off and balling it up in the uncontaminated glove, then encapsulating the whole mess inside the uncontaminated glove when you strip off the off hand glove. Keeps everything sanitary.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4gyNAsPCbU
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Yes, a very good point. When venturing away from home for must do errands, keep in mind that everything is a place for the virus to linger.

Door handles, shopping carts, surfaces in and around where you are, etc. etc. etc. Think...it's out to get me...and your need to be very careful.

Also, the simple washing of hands frequently, and not touching the face...even in the familiarity of your home.

If you went out...you have probably brought the virus back with you. Keep it out of your system.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-23-2020 at 11:10 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Why not just use riding gloves & clean them when needed?

Spyder Garage

I take a clorox wipe with me and don't take my gloves off. Clorox wipe in hand, with glove fill it up, replace the handle then wipe down the glove then toss the wipe. Wash hands when I get home anyway. They are chapped with so much washing. Maybe we should start a best hand lotion thread. That'd be a first for a moto forum
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    Why not just use riding gloves & clean them when needed?
    I don’t know about you, Spectacular, but I often rub my eyes or nose or top lip with my gloved hand when a bug or similar hits me in the face while I’m on the road. I now just use a sanitizer immediately after I use the pump.

Pete.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    ..... Maybe we should start a best hand lotion thread. That'd be a first for a moto forum
    Nah! Already done & dusted years ago!!

Baby Anti Monkey-butt Cream was head & shoulders above the rest, a clear hands down winner!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Most stations, the reputable ones anyway, have paper towels to wash windows with. Now there's new use for them. Use them.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Most stations, the reputable ones anyway, have paper towels to wash windows with. Now there's new use for them. Use them.
    That absolutely will work ..... however in my area ...paper towel availability is an issue ....... hence my spray bottle .....thanks .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I read where people were using the plastic grocery bags (we all have tons of them) as a glove and throwing it away after pumping your gas. Just keep a few in your car.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Nah! Already done & dusted years ago!!

Baby Anti Monkey-butt Cream was head & shoulders above the rest, a clear hands down winner!
    In the U S try Boudreaux's Butt Paste. Makes a great hand crème.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Except, for one example, really busy Costco gas pumps. No window washing tools there, it would hold up the line too much!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Mike,

I just read where it stated that bleach needs 10 minutes when sprayed on hard serfaces to be effective, where as alchohol of 60% or greater requires 30 seconds.
    I think wearing disposable gloves (100 for $6 at harbor freight) would work better. That's my plan.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Mike,

I just read where it stated that bleach needs 10 minutes when sprayed on hard serfaces to be effective, where as alchohol of 60% or greater requires 30 seconds.
    I think wearing disposable gloves (100 for $6 at harbor freight) would work better. That's my plan.
    Bad information. Check out this EPA document: https://www.epa.gov/pesticide-regist...nst-sars-cov-2

Hypochlorite bleach only need 30 seconds to disinfect. Some common formulations can take up to 10 minutes. A common everyday one is Lysol disinfecting wipes which takes 4 minutes. A Burger King manager said the guideline for disinfecting, in general, is wet the surface with a spray and let it air dry.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Mike,

I read yesterday, and I praise them for doing it, Harbor Freight has decided to donate all disposable gloves and face masks to the medical community during this Corona situation.

Spyder Garage

Take time and plan. If you think about having a deliberate plan of actions, a person can accomplish all tasks of refueling their car with only using one disposable glove.

You are the only one touching the fuel cap, but if needed clean that before hitting the pump. With one hand you can use a charge card, activate the required buttons, handle the nozzle etc.

Dispose of the glove prior to reentering the vehicle. Do not forget, you must correctly remove the glove.

Last step, use some type of wipe / cleaner and while washing hands, clean the charge card.

This is one way to conserve disposable gloves.

FWIW, not sure way, but before the situation went nuts, I started using my one glove method a few weeks ago. Got funny looks then, now I watch others believing they protect themselves, then fail to remove the gloves as the reenter the vehicle.

On a side note, visited a Drs office a couple weeks ago. Myself, I did the entire sign in with my own pen, and when finished signing in sanitized my hands. As I sat there waiting, I watched a woman arrive and sign in. Immediately after signing in, she sanitized her hands. For her copay, she used the same community pen, then failed to sanitize her hands after using the pen. Sad part, immediately after signing the pen to sign the credit card slip, she began touching her face and nose with hands / fingers that just handled the community pen.

Risks abound everywhere, accept certain risks, but be smart in your actions. Stupidity prevails and is easy, being smart without panic takes more effort but can get better results.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Take time and plan. If you think about having a deliberate plan of actions, a person can accomplish all tasks of refueling their car with only using one disposable glove.

You are the only one touching the fuel cap, but if needed clean that before hitting the pump. With one hand you can use a charge card, activate the required buttons, handle the nozzle etc.

Dispose of the glove prior to reentering the vehicle. Do not forget, you must correctly remove the glove.

Last step, use some type of wipe / cleaner and while washing hands, clean the charge card.

This is one way to conserve disposable gloves.

FWIW, not sure way, but before the situation went nuts, I started using my one glove method a few weeks ago. Got funny looks then, now I watch others believing they protect themselves, then fail to remove the gloves as the reenter the vehicle.

On a side note, visited a Drs office a couple weeks ago. Myself, I did the entire sign in with my own pen, and when finished signing in sanitized my hands. As I sat there waiting, I watched a woman arrive and sign in. Immediately after signing in, she sanitized her hands. For her copay, she used the same community pen, then failed to sanitize her hands after using the pen. Sad part, immediately after signing the pen to sign the credit card slip, she began touching her face and nose with hands / fingers that just handled the community pen.

Risks abound everywhere, accept certain risks, but be smart in your actions. Stupidity prevails and is easy, being smart without panic takes more effort but can get better results.
    People watching can be interesting. And most of the time we all know to do better.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red