Spyder Garage

Default gaba. gaba we accept you one of us

Just picked this up (2020 Ryker Rally) March 14th. All I can say is, it's totally awesome!, especially when you have it in sport or Rally mode, at speed and turn the handlebars full circle on some dry leaves like she's sitting in. I've come to the conclusion, the short time I've ridden the Rykers, that they're 50% go cart & the other 50% is Ouija board. Yeah so I test rode all three of the Rykers back in April 2019. Prior to that I had ridden 3 different Spyders beginning about the time of my membership here (2011). I liked the Spyders and if I was going to do any cross country riding, a Spyder is what I would ride, top of the line, all the bells and whistles but currently my occupation leaves no time for that kind of riding. I have done two wheel cross country riding in the modern era, like back in Y2K when I finally ended up,with a 93' Honda ST1100 (rode a few newer models prior to settling on the 93'). In fact, I chalked up 70 K miles touring with that ST from 2001-2005. I love that kind of riding and one of those $30K Spyders set up for big miles would be my choice but I can't so I'm not

Getting back to this Ryker Rally. I'm so glad I finally pulled the trigger. I've only ridden her a little over 100 miles but I know she's the ride for me. I still have my 92' BMW R100GSPD but admittedly, she's up for sale. If I had my Druthers, I'd keep her but Mrs. Jake wants to see her gone and all you married guys with the ring through your nose (like me) knows, happy wife - happy life

I wanted to mention the dealer I bought this Rally from. I got her at CycleZone PowerSports in Topeka Kansas. I had perused threads on here about Can AM dealers others used for various and asundry reasons and after picking up the telephone (my iPhone 8+) and speaking with Aaron Fisher there, I knew they were worth driving 1200 one way miles to do business with. Aaron is low key, no pressure but a get r' done kind of guy, plus he made me a sweet deal I couldn't say no to and in case you're wondering how I got this Rally from Kansas back to north central Fla., I loaded her in my 14' (7' wide, 14' interior length) dump trailer I use on my farm, which I pull w/my 2010 F-250 diesel pick em' truck. No one else will tell you this but I'll say- I work my butt off and was happy to do a road trip to go and get this Rally. Took me 22 hours each way and I brought along my carpenter Nic to help with the driving. That said, he and I both agree that trip would have gone better with a third person to help with the driving but that's strictly our opinion

Speaking more to the Ryker Rally, some might wonder why I went with the Rally over the 600 or the 900 Aces...the Rally was what they had in stock. Truth be told, I could live with any of the 3vRyker models currently offered for sale in North America. BTW, there is another Ryker Rally for sale at CycleZone, at least there was when we left a week ago yesterday

Really though, when BRP dreamed up the Ryker series, they had riders like me in mind. I love the fact that this is basically a stripper motorcycle with a third wheel. It's not anything like a motorcycle side car rig. I say that as I bought a URAL Tourist new back in 2003, the model that came out with a Brembo hydraulic disc front brake. That was truly a one finger on the front brake lever able to stop that machine but it was still a handful to ride. That said, I could say the same thing about one of the three Spyders I did a demo on, a model that had no power steering, and after doing that demo (on the Spyder w/o power assist) I was one tired puppy. I don't feel like that after riding any of the Rykers,and why I say BRP had riders like me in mind when they came up with the concept for the Ryker. This Rally and the other two I rode, they're easy peasy to ride, steer, brake, on and on

So I'm looking forward to many smiles riding this Rally. She's been totally delightful up to this point and hopefully I'll get plenty of riding time in with this fun machine. No plans at this time to start adding accessories. Well, I'll likely rig some sort of throttle lock. I've had no problem bombing around the back roads with this machine but the one time I rode her 10 miles on our local slab (I-75), I had some awful cramps in my right hand for 10-15 minutes after getting off it. No kidding! The cramps were so bad I had to soak my right hand in warm to hot water to get much needed immediate relief, and I've never had that experience ever before. I can only guess the cramping came on due to the handle bar profile/dimensions, & the way I grabbed the bars while on the slab. When I first rode big miles on my current GS I had some slight hand fatigue issues but nothing like I had with this Ryker after riding slab. On that note, my GS was missing some parts associated with the OEM throttle lock I subsequently corrected by locating what I needed to bring the GS back up to spec, and now the OEM BMW throttle lock works as it should. Come to think of it, all this talk about the Ryker, I'm ready to go on a ride. No where in particular, I'm just gonna hop on it and vamps! See y'all later!!!
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Always nice to hear from a happy owner. Enjoy and ride safely.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Like they say, "A full tank of Gas, no where to go and all day to get there".
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

and

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

This is all you need to fix the cramping! I've got 1000's of mile on mine, let you palm do the holding let your fingers just sit there.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Univers...Condition=1000
    Mine has a velcro strap on it and I think I like that better but maybe they don't make them any more.Untitled.jpg
    Last edited by JFD; 03-22-2020 at 03:15 PM. Reason: added

Spyder Garage

I went and added the foam grips from Lamonster over the stock grips. The larger diameter helped with cramped hands.

Spyder Garage

I'm wondering if it's not the diameter or material of the grip, but the low position of the handlebars. If the handlebars were raised 2 to maybe 4 inches I don't think the wrist would be kinked back so much while holding the throttle in the fun position. Probably putting a little less weight on wrist also in the raised position. Are we pinching the nerves in our wrist making tingly/numb fingers, with wrist kinked back. If the handlebars were higher, that would lower the elbows in relation to the wrist, making that wrist kink somewhat less severe.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamryder View Post
    I'm wondering if it's not the diameter or material of the grip, but the low position of the handlebars. If the handlebars were raised 2 to maybe 4 inches I don't think the wrist would be kinked back so much while holding the throttle in the fun position. Probably putting a little less weight on wrist also in the raised position. Are we pinching the nerves in our wrist making tingly/numb fingers, with wrist kinked back. If the handlebars were higher, that would lower the elbows in relation to the wrist, making that wrist kink somewhat less severe.
    I agree with the slightly higher handlebars. I changed mine for one with about a 4" rise and it makes a big difference. I also put ISO grips on it that really cushion the hands. Of course, everyone is different and has their own requirements.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

On the new Ryker Rally!! Enjoy the Ride and smiles!
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Gratz on your Ryker! You will have a lot of fun with it!
    I put an OEM windshield on my Rally, and it does a good job, but it just looks so much more sleek and nice without a windshield.

Spyder Garage

I will be trying a throttle lock from Revzilla out, its supposed to work, I talked to an RSS rider who does use it, and it may fit the Ryker, I can get you the dimensions on it when I order it. Mine is found here:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...se-retargeting

They have a line of them on there too.

And I also going to Barkbuster Hand Guards after I lose the HUGE sail I have for a windshield. They even make a Kaoko lock for them too. Revzilla is actually quite aggressive on new items for new machines, I have shopped there for some time, they have taken business away from Dennis Kirk over the years as they ship fast as all get out.

Just a tip.
    Kraig B. Kumlin, M.M., M.C.P. (Retired)

Only Two States Left to Visit on MC or Trike, RI and CT
    2012 RS-S , Baja Ron Plug Wire Kit and NGK Iridium Plugs Grey and Black

Spyder Garage

I had a Kaoko on another MC, and I loved it, its quite similar to a cruise control once you get used to it, you just do the smart work when needed. Puts the Cramp Buster plastic things to shame, dont get me wrong, I use them, but they can get in the way.
    Kraig B. Kumlin, M.M., M.C.P. (Retired)

Only Two States Left to Visit on MC or Trike, RI and CT
    2012 RS-S , Baja Ron Plug Wire Kit and NGK Iridium Plugs Grey and Black

Spyder Garage

Looks like a ton of fun to me!
    2012 RTL , Pearl