Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I installed the short reach bars on our RTL and like them now that I have used them
    for a little while, it did take some getting use to the new position but not bad at all now.

Toby
    2020 RTL

Spyder Garage

That's awesome. I am 5'11" as well. I like the position with the short reach. I did the risers on the Goldwing and that was a huge increase in comfort as well.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That looks good, thanks stebrock,

Spyder Garage

This is the first time I can really see what to expect - thank you for providing an objective and useful comparison. Can you give me an idea of where the standard bars fall on a 2014-2019 in comparison (bonus points if you can sit on one and take a comparable photo)? Thank you!!
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Default Short reach bars on 2020 RT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is the best visual comparison I've seen on the short reach bars, I have mine on order. Thanks stebrock.

Spyder Garage

Default More or less comfortable now?

Quote Originally Posted by stebrock View Post
    Have you had enough time to determine if you're more comfortable with these new bars? How tall are you and do these bars come back more towards the driver or forward? Was the cost worth the difference?
    Thanks,
    Ron

Spyder Garage

Where did you purchase your Short Reach Handlebars, and if you don't mind, what did they cost?
    Hopefully, these will stop the pain between my shoulder blades after a long ride?
    Ron

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 99flyboy View Post
    Where did you purchase your Short Reach Handlebars, and if you don't mind, what did they cost?
    Hopefully, these will stop the pain between my shoulder blades after a long ride?
    Ron
    The short reach bars will only work on the 2020 RTs. Not the 2019s and earlier.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bodymanpainter View Post
    I installed the short reach bars on our RTL and like them now that I have used them
    for a little while, it did take some getting use to the new position but not bad at all now.

Toby
    Can you please tell me where you bought your Short Reach Bars and if you don't mind, what you paid?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 99flyboy View Post
    Can you please tell me where you bought your Short Reach Bars and if you don't mind, what you paid?
    20200322_215916.jpg

Spyder Garage

Dimensions are in the copy of the Facebook post picture.
    It's been rainy since I put them on. Road today around town. The real test will be on a longer ride.
    The bars are pushed forward/up as far as they'll go so yes you can lower them.
    They're a lot cheaper than the HeliBars ($599) which will be my next choice if these don't work out.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your input. Please let me know how the new bars workout once you've had a chance to take a long ride.
    Thanks,
    Ron

Spyder Garage

Compared to the stock set up. How much closer do they come to you? Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

20200331_151500.jpg
    So here's an update.
    The alignment pin on the handlebar mount limits the upward/forward position of the short reach bars. I found that for me the highest/forward position had the grips too close to me.
    I cut off the pin with a mini hacksaw. This allowed me to move the bars forward/higher. The only limit is potentially blocking your side view mirrors. Also the more forward/higher you go the control start to get at an angle. I found a sweet spot for me and I'm going to try it for awhile.

Spyder Garage

Not to hijack the thread, but I had HeliBars installed on my 2020 RTL.
    They're infinitely adjustable and pretty much solve all the ergo problems I've ever had with handlebars.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Not to hijack the thread, but I had HeliBars installed on my 2020 RTL.
    They're infinitely adjustable and pretty much solve all ther ergo problems I've ever had with handlebars.
    I may end up there but if this works it$149 versus $599. So for me it's worth the try.
    Another option is Lamonster's Billy Bars.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Holy Moly Stebrock, those are almost ape hangers, look too high for me. You're five eleven, so I gotta bring my install down about four inches. Glad thy are adjustable up and down. How high are they from a solid object on your Spyder?

Spyder Garage

Thanks so much. Because of your images and riding position. Mine are coming today. Thank you so much for posting these.

Spyder Garage

Bikerbillone and Jredman.
    Remember the up and down motion is limited by the alignment pin on the mounting base. If you need more movement you can cut the pin off with a hacksaw blade like i did. If you push them too far forward you'll block your side view mirrors.
    In my latest pic (with pin cutoff) the bottom of the handgrip is 38 inches above the floorboard.

Spyder Garage

I've found that for me, the short reach bars put the bars either too close or too high for maximum comfort so I took them off. If anyone else wants to give them a try I'll be selling the kit. If you're interested give me a PM for details.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stebrock View Post
    20200331_151500.jpg
    So here's an update.
    The alignment pin on the handlebar mount limits the upward/forward position of the short reach bars.
    I cut off the pin with a mini hacksaw. This allowed me to move the bars forward/higher.
    Are you concerned that by cutting off the alignment pin your bars might shift?
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

I have the short reach bars and after about 400 miles on my 2020 Spyder RT with them, I am going to going to try to get I think it is called position B. If I understand it right the handlebars come in three sizes. But since my dealer is shut down I will wait to find out. What I discovered, for me, is that when I ride two up, I tend to slide forward slightly and then the handles are too close where my elbows are essentially at the side of my torso and after an hour or so riding it becomes uncomfortable. I like a little more forward reach. All that said it is great to have options.
    2020 Limited , Petrol Metallic