Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Following this thread, I did not know about position 'B' bars.

Spyder Garage

Well I might be wrong, especially since it has been a while since I went to the Dealer and used the U-Fit system which I thought had three positions, A being the short-reach, B being the mid-reach, C being the one with the longest reach required. I would have called my dealer and checked before posting but he is closed. So I believe there are knowledgeable people on the forum that will happily correct me.

So I post this with the hope that someone who knows for sure can make anything I have wrong corrected as I hoped to change to a mid-reach handlebar if they exist. I apologize in advance if I have this wrong.
    2020 Limited , Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

Before I sold my F3TI took off the short arm handlebars and replaced with the standard. I then took the F3T Short arm handlebar and added it to the 2020 RTL. I agree with Will & Stebrock above findings and have taken the short arm handlebars off the 2020 RTL and although much more expensive I am looking at both the Lamonster and Hellig bars as alternatives.
    I will be selling the short arm bars which fit the F3T or F3LTD 2016 - 2019. PM me if interested.

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Please help - I can’t find these handlebars listed on the Can-Am Spyder Accessories catalog or website. Where are you finding these?

Are these longer handlebars to bring them closer to the rider? I’ve having some mild upper back pain and I don’t know if it’s from the position the stock handlebars put me in.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post
    Please help - I can’t find these handlebars listed on the Can-Am Spyder Accessories catalog or website. Where are you finding these?

Are these longer handlebars to bring them closer to the rider? I’ve having some mild upper back pain and I don’t know if it’s from the position the stock handlebars put me in.
    PM sent
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    Are you concerned that by cutting off the alignment pin your bars might shift?
    I've had no issues since removing the pin. The handlebar mounting bolts lock the bars in place. No movement whatsoever.

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I bought a used short reach handlebar, just finished the installation. My objective is to be forced to sit more upright hoping it will ease some back pain I have on long rides. (Yes, I have a backrest)

First thing I noted was they make it harder to mount the bike because the handlebars are higher and lean back toward the seat. I've got to develop the habit of leaving the wheels turned to one side and mounting from the side with the grip closest to the dashboard. Next, turning the bike takes more arm motion that before since I seem to be turning from my shoulders rather than my arms. That being said, I THINK I like the riding position better. I wish there was an in-between size, because these are designed for 5" riders, and I'm 5'10".
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

HillandDale, just had mine installed with about 80 or so miles on the short reach bars. I find they are closer to the driver than I thought they would be, and will take some 'getting used to'. Having said that, I believe they will be better than the OEMs, and less tiring. I don't have a back rest and think I can get by without it. Found some passenger arm rests, so another thing off the bucket list. Having had many motorcycles, I know how all these 'little' add on's can get expensive.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post
    I bought a used short reach handlebar, just finished the installation. My objective is to be forced to sit more upright hoping it will ease some back pain I have on long rides. (Yes, I have a backrest)

First thing I noted was they make it harder to mount the bike because the handlebars are higher and lean back toward the seat. I've got to develop the habit of leaving the wheels turned to one side and mounting from the side with the grip closest to the dashboard. Next, turning the bike takes more arm motion that before since I seem to be turning from my shoulders rather than my arms. That being said, I THINK I like the riding position better. I wish there was an in-between size, because these are designed for 5" riders, and I'm 5'10".
    Did you see this post from Pennyrick ?

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...th-less-effort

WOW. I tried it and it REALLY makes a difference. I'll have to wait and see how it works out if the passenger gets on first. I suppose I can just ask my passenger to leave her foot off the left foot rest for a few seconds.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

to stebrock- how is the short reach handlebar working out since installation? i am looking to replace the oem handlebar with the short reach to reduce back strain on long runs. am thinking of the f3 bar also but not sure which one would be the better of the two. ( riding 2020 rtl )

Spyder Garage

I've installed F3T Altitude bars yesterday, a huge improvement over the stock https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...73#post1531473
    2020 Can-Am Spyder RTL
    2009 Yamaha V-Star 1300T (sold)
    2007 Yamaha V-Star 650 (sold)

"I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could!"
    2020 RTL , Asphalt Grey Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TXGreatRide View Post
    I've installed F3T Altitude bars yesterday, a huge improvement over the stock https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...73#post1531473
    Attitude, not altitude

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TXGreatRide View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Attitude, not altitude
    He's right TX - the bars shown in the link on a Harley (?) are the Altitude bars

https://www.google.com/search?q=afri...0_lQWrCEYzZREM
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Lol, autocorrect is killing me!

Had a 140 miles ride with new bars, love it, should be a stock bars on RTL.
    2020 Can-Am Spyder RTL
    2009 Yamaha V-Star 1300T (sold)
    2007 Yamaha V-Star 650 (sold)

"I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could!"
    2020 RTL , Asphalt Grey Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by baxter View Post
    to stebrock- how is the short reach handlebar working out since installation? i am looking to replace the oem handlebar with the short reach to reduce back strain on long runs. am thinking of the f3 bar also but not sure which one would be the better of the two. ( riding 2020 rtl )
    I'm real happy with the new bars. what made them perfect for me was removing the alignment/centering pin. with the pin in place they were too close to my body.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

stebrock, can you explain removing the alignment/centering pin? Mine are a bit close, sounds like the answer for me.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    stebrock, can you explain removing the alignment/centering pin? Mine are a bit close, sounds like the answer for me.
    I am not Stebrock but since he hasn't responded I will tell you there is a pin attached to the bars. It does what the name says and can be sawed off easy. But I want to warn you, you might want to reconsider doing this. If you go any higher after cutting the pin off you will find your controls on the bars to be up and away and you can't even see them. I wouldn't do this but this is just me. I just finished installing the F3 short reach bars on my 2020 rt and they do bring the bars very close and high to you. However I think after a few short rides this can work for me. Much, much better for me and the terrible pain on top of my spin just below my neck is gone.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Doug, I been trying visualize how cutting the center pin off would affect the bars, all I could see was either roll them forward or down, I couldn't see how either adjustment would help me, so far I haven't disturbed them. Good input and I appreciate your response. Gonna give these short reach time to 'wear in', then over time if I need to do something different I'll give the 'attitude bars' a try. I'm thinking, I can't be trying out these various bars without stretching the budget to excess.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Doug, I been trying visualize how cutting the center pin off would affect the bars, all I could see was either roll the forward, or down, I couldn't see how either adjustment would help me, so far I haven't disturbed them. Good input and I appreciate your response. Gonna give these short reach time to 'wear in', then over time if I need to do something different I'll give the 'attitude bars' a try. I'm thinking, I can't be trying out these various bars without stretching the budget to excess.
    If these short reach bars don't work out for me I think my next move will be to get a set of Rox Riser or Lamonster new set backs and reinstall the original bars. Actually for me working at a dealership part time I get my Can Am parts reasonable com paired to retail so it doesn't hurt as bad

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good thinking, if I was smart I would have kept my OEM bars, I did not, I sold them.

Spyder Garage

Good thinking, if I was smart I would have kept my OEM bars, I did not, I sold them.
    Oh well it isn't like they are not making anymore

Spyder Garage

Sorry for the late reply.
    So after removing the "pin" it allowed me to push/rotate the bars forward/ away from my body. As mentioned the controls were now at the wrong angle. i removed the cuff and rotated the controls where i wanted them. i marked this position and drilled a new hole for the cuff alignment pin. you might think this is a lot of trouble but for me well worth it. the bars now fit me perfectly.
    Look at my pictures on page one of this thread dated 4/06/20. It shows the hole i drilled to adjust the position of the controls.

Edit: pic on page one is in post #23
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-20-2020 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Added post #

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Stebrock, I think I might get brave and cut the bar pin and rotate them down just a bit and see how that goes, I'm 5'7". and find them a tad high and close. Did you have any problem removing the allen head bolts? I want to be very careful and not booger those heads.

Spyder Garage

Why not drill a hole in the bars?

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I could do that, but I don't get a visual of how that would work, the center pin would still be an obstruction. Maybe I'm missing something.