Spyder Garage

Default 2008 GS Ignition Switch removal

Hi All,
    its been a while since ive been on the forum. Busy with work and the crossfire srt6 etc.
    I lent my spyder to someone and its come back with the Frunk not opening issue.
    Found this out the hard way so it was a bit of a surprise to say the least.
    I am trying to remove the switch from the handle bars and looking for advice please.
    Is there instructions on what to remove or a video?
    Thanking you all in advance and stay safe in this crazy world we live in.
    Cheers
    Paul.

Spyder Garage

Done it before in order to put a spacer in under the handlebars, it ain't no fun! A small mirror is a definite must have as you'll be needing to remove bolts that are impossible to see up under the handlebar cover! I've got to take mine apart again shortly because I can't turn the key the direction to open the seat latch now.... arghhhhh! I don't believe anyone has any posted instructions on this though.

- Michael

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pop49 View Post
    Hi All,
    its been a while since ive been on the forum. Busy with work and the crossfire srt6 etc.
    I lent my spyder to someone and its come back with the Frunk not opening issue.
    Found this out the hard way so it was a bit of a surprise to say the least.
    I am trying to remove the switch from the handle bars and looking for advice please.
    Is there instructions on what to remove or a video?
    Thanking you all in advance and stay safe in this crazy world we live in.
    Cheers
    Paul.
    STOP !!!! .... I have opened quite a few GS - RSS frunks without touching the ignition switch .... go in the from the right side with a 12inch rod and you can push the latch to open it...... use a strong flashlite and yopu can see where you need to push it, the most difficult part is getting under that plastic COVER over the LATCH, but it can be done ...... at a couple of Spyder events I was the GO-TO guy for folks who needed it done .... Good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Update, well i have got the Frunk open by pulling on the cable from under the left front wheel with the side panels off, you are right , what a bugger to get at the handle bar cover tork bolts. That center one is proving to be a right one. Might have to bite the bullet and buy the manual from BRP.
    Any further input is grateful.

Spyder Garage

That's great you got it open... but if the problem isn't in the latch assembly then that still means you gotta get the handlebars apart to get to the mechanism that pulls the cable, same place I gotta go to get my seat unlatching issue fixed. For me, I can easily remove the 4 screws that hold the right side panel on then tug on that cable and it will unlatch the seat finally... I got a small line tied onto the latch lever with an O-ring on the other end hung out the side under my seat edge this weekend, if it holds it will make re-fueling a lot faster! LOL! But in the long run, we still gotta take the handlebar apart to fix this correctly. Fun, fun! I have other pressing issues right now though I have to take care of 1st.

Later!

- Michael

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Michael211_2000 View Post
    That's great you got it open... but if the problem isn't in the latch assembly then that still means you gotta get the handlebars apart to get to the mechanism that pulls the cable, same place I gotta go to get my seat unlatching issue fixed. For me, I can easily remove the 4 screws that hold the right side panel on then tug on that cable and it will unlatch the seat finally... I got a small line tied onto the latch lever with an O-ring on the other end hung out the side under my seat edge this weekend, if it holds it will make re-fueling a lot faster! LOL! But in the long run, we still gotta take the handlebar apart to fix this correctly. Fun, fun! I have other pressing issues right now though I have to take care of 1st.

Later!

- Michael
    ... a long time ago I created some emergency release cables for my GS / RSS / and RT for Frunks and seats ...... do a search many have added pics on how it's done ..... Mike