Spyder Garage

Default What is a brake pedal protector for

I just got a 2016 SE6 and changed the large brake pedal to the regular size. When I took it off, it had a brake protector on the bottom. You can see it on the bottom of the pedal. I hope no-one get mad, cus I copied it from a thread on here. Not quite sure what the function of this is.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

That's just part of the pedal design. See also pg 14 of your operator's guide.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I believe that's meant to make it harder to get your foot caught under the pedal...

While you're in that area, check out the underside of that RH foot plate & see how the 'panic braking foot-plate drop-away' feature works; then next time you're out on a level & clear section of road where/when it's safe to do so, brace yourself firmly & then stomp HARD on the brakes to see/feel how it works and how phenomenally effective your braking under ABS/EBD & Stability Control system invervention on these Spyders can be!!

In a real emergency stop, where you should stand really hard on the brakes and stay hard on them while you steer safely around whatever danger you need to avoid (think Stomp, Stay, and Steer!) that little device under the foot-plate allows the plate to drop down at the front and gives you even more room/distance for pedal travel so the plate can't limit/restrict your braking effort, but it won't (quite!) hit the ground! And once your panic braking where the foot-plate dropped is over, and you've safely steered around/avoided whatever it was you were avoiding while still under full braking, all it takes is lifting the foot-plate firmly back into place to re-engage the latch & secure the foot-plate back where it belongs! If you practice doing this emergency brake & Stomp, Stay & Steer bit every now & then, not only will you be far better prepared if you ever do need to use it for real, but you'll probably also work out how pressing firmly on the right spot on the rear of the foot-plate will bring it back up into its normal ryding 'latched up' position, so you can return the foot-plate to its proper position without even getting off your Spyder!

2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks. I will be reinstalling today.