Spyder Garage

Default Abs/vss fault codes

Hey guys
    I’m getting abs/vss fault codes on 2018 can am spyder f3 it’s has also gon into limp mode after replacing wheels.
    Codes:
    C003a
    C006c
    U0416
    I suspect it’s the C003a rear wheels speed sensor as that the only area as the codes relate that I work on. Can these codes be reset if so how. I’ve already driven the bike, removed key let it set for 3 hrs disconnect battery overnight battery has been on tinder check fuses, fluids. Bike ride as normal besides limp mode and codes.

Any help would be appreciated before I have drag into the shop which I’d like to avoid lol.

Spyder Garage

Did you find any little thin washers/spacers anywhere between the speed sensors & their mounts, &/or the brake calipers & their mounts when you were removing the wheels?

If you did find any shims/washers/spacers, are you 100% SURE they went back EXACTLY where they came from and that you returned EVERYTHING to exactly where it was before you removed it?

If you didn't find any shims/washers/spacers, check again, carefully!!

That said, not all the sensors &/or brake calipers need shims to be spaced out or in properly, but many do! And it's essential that the spacing between the notched 'speed rings' on the hubs and the read heads on the speed sensors are at the correct spacing - hence the general need for shims! You might need to confirm those space requirements & make sure your sensors are fitted correctly!

Get just one washer/shim in the wrong place & you'll get all sorts of codes and probably limp mode too! Oh, hang on...

Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Yes I check the washer in the speed sensor they are 2 slots one slide over the sensor head the other is to bolt it all together. As for the brake caliber I did not notice any washer or shims missing but I will double check and check for the correct spacing as the wheels are bigger.

Thanks

Spyder Garage

If you've fitted a larger rolling dia tire to the rear and you haven't changed to front tires with the same proportional rolling diameter increase, then THAT might be the cause of all your problems!!

Your Spyder's VSS can only cater for a certain amount of difference between the expected front and rear tire rotational speeds - a bigger tire on the back without increasing the fronts by about the same amount can exceed that limit....
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    If you've fitted a larger rolling dia tire to the rear and you haven't changed to front tires with the same proportional rolling diameter increase, then THAT might be the cause of all your problems!!

Your Spyder's VSS can only cater for a certain amount of difference between the expected front and rear tire rotational speeds - a bigger tire on the back without increasing the fronts by about the same amount can exceed that limit....
    Yes I replace all three wheels all are the exact same size.

Spyder Garage

If rear wheel speed sensor needed to be replaced, would it or the codes need to be reset by the dealer?

Spyder Garage

Codes generally only report a fault while it's present, then once the fault is rectified they usually go away (altho they are stored forever on the computer!) So No, you shouldn't need the Dealer to reset anything, even if you replace a wheel sensor..... altho you might need them to get the computer/s to recognise a new sensor if you replace one.

Have you tried removing each sensor, carefully cleaning it's 'read face', then re-installing & making sure it's square & properly seated in its mount? At the same time, you should check that the notched 'speed wheel' is clean & undamaged, mounted correctly, and facing the right way... Then check the sensor lead/wiring for any 'soft' or damaged spots, any kinks, or damaged insulation cover or scrapes etc that could be causing read errors.....

Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Codes generally only report a fault while it's present, then once the fault is rectified they usually go away (altho they are stored forever on the computer!) So No, you shouldn't need the Dealer to reset anything, even if you replace a wheel sensor..... altho you might need them to get the computer/s to recognise a new sensor if you replace one.

Have you tried removing each sensor, carefully cleaning it's 'read face', then re-installing & making sure it's square & properly seated in its mount? At the same time, you should check that the notched 'speed wheel' is clean & undamaged, mounted correctly, and facing the right way... Then check the sensor lead/wiring for any 'soft' or damaged spots, any kinks, or damaged insulation cover or scrapes etc that could be causing read errors.....

Good Luck!
    If the notched speed wheel have scuffs/ small scrapes on some of the notches would you consider that damage and could it cause the speed sensor not to read I clean the notched speed wheel last night and noticed some small scraps and scuffs could have happen when I was putting the wheels back in as they are bigger.

Spyder Garage

A bent or missing notch, or some mud or other gunge filling a gap is probably more likely to cause issues than just a scratch or scrape.... but if those scratches & scrapes deform any of the notch teeth or gaps, then yeah, they could be at least part of the issue! But so could the way those 'speed wheels' have been mounted onto the rim/hub; and also if the speed wheels have been the least bit warped!! While you were there, did you check the sensors themselves & their mountings, wiring, and all/any of their connections that were touched &/or could have been pulled or stretched?

There again, are these the 20" rims you mentioned earlier?? Can you tell us exactly what size wheels &/or tires you've put on, because if you've changed the rims & tires/wheel sizes & nothing else, then given the 'first suspect must be whatever you just touched' rule, that suggests the wheel/tire change is most likely the culprit. If it's not the physical process of changing them that's upset or damaged something, then you need to ask yourself if the wheel/tire size increase across the board is too much/too different; or if the increases up front & that on the rear are not proportionally the same each end?! In either case, it's pretty easy to throw the Nanny off & get this sort of result, altho I wouldn't have really expected the specific codes you've got?!? Still, whatever way you look at it, the Nanny/VSS Suite was really only ever designed to be readily capable of managing rolling diameter increases that were less than about ONE Inch!! So what size rims & tires have you fitted??
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-23-2020 at 05:42 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

*Update*

So I replaced the speed sensor on the rear wheel took it for a spin and all the codes cleared everything a-ok.
    Note I had to get it up to 40miles before the codes would reset!!

Spyder Garage

I hv 2010 RS. Im gonna replace rear wheel sensor. I know where sensor is located hy rear wheel, but exactly where is the "plug-in" side located underneath?

Spyder Garage

I bent a speed sensor and speed wheel on my left front wheel when a tie down strap got caught and wrapped itself around the left front wheel as I backed it off the trailer. Got the same abs/vss problem. Replacing the sensor and speed wheel fixed mine too.
    Five more states to go in the Continental USA. Hope to get there soon.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by F3VE View Post
    *Update*

So I replaced the speed sensor on the rear wheel took it for a spin and all the codes cleared everything a-ok.
    Note I had to get it up to 40miles before the codes would reset!!
    What's Good, F3VE?

Hope you're doing well. I was ready the issue you posted, regarding the error msg after changing tire/wheel size. I am having the same issue. Added 20's in front (w/ adapters) & upped the rear, from 225 (50) 15... to 225 (*60*) 15, which would match height. I drove it after installing everything, to make sure it was riding good. No error msg... nxt day, I decided to go out for a ride, got the error msg. Can you please help me w/ this? You stated that you replaced the rear sensor & issue was resolved.

What size wheels you have on (front & Rear)? Thanks, in advance.

Spyder Garage

Hello, Peter!

Hope you're doing well. I am also having the same issue. Added 20's in front (w/ adapters) & upped the rear tire size, from 225 (50) 15... to 225 (*60*) 15, which would match height. I drove it after installing everything a few blocks, to make sure it was riding good. No error msg... nxt day, I decided to go out for a ride, got the error msg. Can you please help me w/ this? Thanks, in advance.

Spyder Garage

You really NEED to keep any Tire Size increase fairly proportional with the relationship between the (different rolling dia front to rear ) OE Tire Sizes & their relationship - so given a 5" increase in rim diameter, I'd guess that anything much larger than a fairly skinny tire with a max 35 profile up front is probably going to be too much for the 'Nanny' to handle over any significant distance! Generally speaking, any increase much more than about a 1&1/2 inch increase in tire diameter on either end is going to be pushing the envelope of 'within the acceptable bounds' of variation for most VSS/Traction Control/Safety Systems (the 'Nanny') to manage....

So check the 'Revs per Mile' (or 'Revs per Km' ) info on your new 20" rim mounted front tires and match them to the OE Spec Kendas - if they aren't within just a few revs (maybe 10 or so?! ) then that could well be your problem Uniekstylz (& maybe F3VE too?!) The difference in 'Revs per mile' and the tire's size increase due to the 5" larger dia rims might juuust be 'within the acceptable bounds' with skinny enough low profile tires running at low speeds or even for short distances, but because the faster you go &/or the further you travel the greater the cumulative difference in 'revolutions turned' between the front and rear tires becomes, so the more likely you'll be to get these sorts of issues.

The size increase on the rear is within the 'acceptable increase range' for the VSS etc WITH NO OR MINIMAL TIRE SIZE CHANGE UP FRONT, but it might not be enough of an increase to match the size increase up front due to the bigger rims! We really need to know more about the TIRES & TIRE SIZE you've fitted up front, and ideally, also the 'revs per mile', the rolling circumference, &/or the 'rolling diameter' of those tires! If any of those are significantly larger than the OE spec Kendas, then they just might be TOO BIG or have TOO MUCH of a difference for the 'Nanny' to handle; but if they are juuuust a little bigger over-all, it comes back to how much of a tire size increase you've put on the rear!

Without knowing exactly which tire & the rest of that specific tire info mentioned above for ALL the tires you've fitted, AND without doing the actual calcs, I'd guess that you've probably only increased the actual rolling diameter on the rear of your Spyder by maybe as little as saaay, 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch, or possibly as much as a touch over 1 inch And that'd mean that if you've increased the rolling diameter of the front tires by anything much more than saaay 1 inch on the lower end of the scale or maybe 1 & 3/4 inches on the upper end (and I'd guess you're actually looking at an increase closer to at least 4"!! ) then you're almost certainly running mis-matched tire sizes well beyond the Nanny's capabilities and you might need to re-consider your tire sizes on one or both ends!! So by going from a 165 wide * 50 profile * R15 (the OE 165/50R15 Size?) to an 'anything much wider than saaay 125' * '35 profile or taller' * R20 tire up front, then you've probably exceeded that 'acceptable size increase limit' significantly and you should EXPECT these codes & Limp Home modes, if not immediately, then certainly as the cumulative revolutions per tire/end exceeds the Nanny's acceptable limits, despite the fact that 'she' is one of the best available & can 'learn' to handle most 'reasonable tire size changes'!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-09-2021 at 08:01 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!