Spyder Garage

Default Coolant escaping from under the cap on the expansion tank, I need advice.

So i fired up the Ryker on the way back from work and noticed a strange low almost hissing noise.

After a cautious ride home and removing the bonnet panel i immediately noticed Coolant leaking out from under the cap on the reservoir and down onto the kick plate.

The coolant wasn't boiling off and the temp gauge was fine, so it's not overheating and there was no signs of leaks anywhere else. There's no visible smoke coming from the exhaust so assume it's not the water jacket.

It's too hot to check the cap right now, what do i look for when i check the cap?

If it's not a dodgy cap, how do i go about hunting down the leak and how big of job is fixing it?
    Last edited by redback; 03-21-2020 at 05:14 PM. Reason: missing words.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by redback View Post
    So i fired up the Ryker on the way back from work and noticed a strange low almost hissing noise.

After a cautious ride home and removing the bonnet panel i immediately noticed Coolant leaking out from under the cap on the reservoir and down onto the kick plate.

The coolant wasn't boiling off and the temp gauge was fine, so it's not overheating and there was no signs of leaks anywhere else. There's no visible smoke coming from the exhaust so assume it's not the water jacket.

It's too hot to check the cap right now, what do i look for when i check the cap?

If it's not a dodgy cap, how do i go about hunting down the leak and how big of job is fixing it?
    I suspect the Ryker is very similar to other Spyders ..... the fluid is under pressure , at least it's supposed to be ..... I think the cap on the reservoir tank isn't on correctly, they are known to be notoriously difficult with getting cap on tight ...... good luck .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is the cap on correctly. Or could the cap be bad? If it's under warranty take it in for service

Spyder Garage

+1 on the cap not being installed correctly. I would definitely check that first. Could be a faulty cap or maybe cracked reservoir as well.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I just fired it back up after checking the cap no apparent damage to the cap on a visual inspection and the spring appears to work.

After putting it back on the hissing noise is gone, but after a few mins at temperature it started leaking from overpressure drain hole under the cap.

Cap is right up against the stops and it cannot get any tighter.

So maybe the cap is borked and cannot hold pressure? then pressure started working it loose leading to the hissing sound?

I've cleaned it all up and will leave it overnight and check for fluid spots tomorrow, see if there's any leaks anywhere but the cap.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Leaking

Quote Originally Posted by redback View Post
    I just fired it back up after checking the cap no apparent damage to the cap on a visual inspection and the spring appears to work.

After putting it back on the hissing noise is gone, but after a few mins at temperature it started leaking from overpressure drain hole under the cap.

Cap is right up against the stops and it cannot get any tighter.

So maybe the cap is borked and cannot hold pressure? then pressure started working it loose leading to the hissing sound?

I've cleaned it all up and will leave it overnight and check for fluid spots tomorrow, see if there's any leaks anywhere but the cap.
    I've re-moved and re-installed hundreds of radiator caps in my lifetime .... and imho the ones on the Spyders are the WORST I've ever encountered...... very difficult to get on correctly , mostly because they are difficult to get to ..... good luck , keep us posted ...... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

FWIW, I’ve heard others that didn’t fill the tank back up and said the leak stoped after it found its happy level. In other words don’t overfill. cueman

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If there is nothing blocked. Then you may have a bad cap releasing the pressure. Or as other has stated maybe cracked or defective tank??

Spyder Garage

I believe I saw a youtube video of a guy that had to have his tank fixed/replaced because of a leak. I believe it was earlier last year, if I am not mistaken. If your ryker is still in warranty, I would suggest letting the dealer fix it.

Spyder Garage

I also had that problem...dealer pointed out to me and if u look there is a little hole there which a over flow hole , not sure why there is not a tube coming from it like in a car which directs it to the ground. Mine drips sometimes from overflow hole but but radiator level seems to stay at full mark.

Spyder Garage

Hi, I had a coolant leak as you describe on my 2014 RTL. The dealer nearly changed my entire coolant system trying to stop leak.
    After some deep research I found links to coolant tank seam leaking. Turns out many BRP machines use the same coolant tank reservoir and the seam splits just under the cap. On mine it would leak under pressure and run down on to my skid plate, then drip on shop floor when I got home. Tech put an air fittting on overflow tube from tank, put a little air back fed into tank and there was the leak. Put new tank in and no more leak. Upside is I had about 4 coolant changes in a month. All good after tank change.
    2020 RTL - Petrol Blue Metalic / Black, dark model.
    Colour match rear tail cover, Garmin GPS.
    Heated Ultra Comfort driver seat & backrest.
    LED headlamps, LED Front corner lamps and lower front LED lamp.
    Baja Ron sway bar.
    Ride Til You Rot!

Spyder Garage

For what it is worth, most of the auto parts stores and some garages have a cap testing device. The cap is tighten on the device, pressure is applied, and you are able to see the PSI when the pressure releases on a gauge. The parts places will usually test your cap for free.

2019 F3-S , Black & Silver