Active Member NorthAlabamaSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Elka Stage 4 rear shock question

This is probably dumb but for those of you that have put on aftermarket shocks did you keep the air bag? I'm thinking yes I should. Thank you in advance
    2019 F3-T and some extra stuff

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NorthAlabamaSpyder View Post
    This is probably dumb but for those of you that have put on aftermarket shocks did you keep the air bag? I'm thinking yes I should. Thank you in advance
    Yeah, I left the bag in place when I switched to Wilbers, NorthAlabama. I originally set it to 10psi, but it is now down to 0psi with no noticeable difference. After all, it effectively just raises and lowers the height of the ride, and at 6’7”, I’m happy to have it low.

....and no.....it definitely isn’t a dumb question.....I had the same question, and I am UNBELIEVABLY intelligent . MY wife may beg to differ however

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

i left the bag in but it was elka stage1

russ
    pres ride
    2014 RT-S
    bike is WIP
    bike has endured elect spike (was jump started incorrectly)
    still a WIP but bike is now running and registered....swapped out 5 modules mostly sourced from Canadian wrecker

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Yeah, I left the bag in place when I switched to Wilbers, NorthAlabama. I originally set it to 10psi, but it is now down to 0psi with no noticeable difference. After all, it effectively just raises and lowers the height of the ride, and at 6’7”, I’m happy to have it low.

....and no.....it definitely isn’t a dumb question.....I had the same question, and I am UNBELIEVABLY intelligent . MY wife may beg to differ however

Pete
    I am afraid the bag dose more than just raise and lower, if you ever lost the air in the bag on a trip and had to come home on just the shock you would know! It carries the load and levels the ride the shock keeps it from bouncing down the road like a po- go stick. But if you are going to put a good aftermarket shock in, you don't need the air bag any more, you could take it out, or leave a small amount of air in it and leave it alone!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I am afraid the bag dose more than just raise and lower, if you ever lost the air in the bag on a trip and had to come home on just the shock you would know! It carries the load and levels the ride the shock keeps it from bouncing down the road like a po- go stick. But if you are going to put a good aftermarket shock in, you don't need the air bag any more, you could take it out, or leave a small amount of air in it and leave it alone!
    Thanks for the correction, Mikey, but that is exactly why I said it “effectively” just adjusts the height of the ride with aftermarket shocks.......we are not talking about the bag’s operation with OEM shocks, but how it functions with aftermarkets. Geez.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Active Member NorthAlabamaSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Guys, I just took the Spyder out with the Stage 4's on. It was fantastic. No air in airbag. Elka seem to hit it just right with the info I gave them. Pain to install but worth it. It did raise front end about 1/2" and maybe the rear a little. I have Ron's sway bar witch was a great install but these shocks especially in big sweepers was really nice and stable. Didn't seem to roll much in tight twisties. If that is the correct term. Anyway thx for the info.
    2019 F3-T and some extra stuff

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NorthAlabamaSpyder View Post
    Guys, I just took the Spyder out with the Stage 4's on. It was fantastic. No air in airbag. Elka seem to hit it just right with the info I gave them. Pain to install but worth it. It did raise front end about 1/2" and maybe the rear a little. I have Ron's sway bar witch was a great install but these shocks especially in big sweepers was really nice and stable. Didn't seem to roll much in tight twisties. If that is the correct term. Anyway thx for the info.
    very nice...now you have BOTH the power AND handling. You have the best of both worlds.. when late Spring/Summer comes...youre ready to ride...Enjoy.

Spyder Garage

Great to hear, NorthAlabama. My Wilbers made a significant difference for me.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.