Thread: New Member

Spyder Garage

Default New Member

I finished my MSF class last weekend and glad I got it in before they shut everything down. Now I am looking for a 600 or 900 [either would suite my needs]. It will be interesting to see if this virus has any effect on pricing. Right now I am looking online since everything is shut down.
    The MSF class was well done and increased my desire to get a 3 wheeler. I am looking forward to learning some of the finer points from this forum, so I will know what to look for in a new or used Ryker.

Spyder Garage

to the site. Good luck in your hunt for a Spyder.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you took the MSF class before purchasing your first ride; many don't. I found the class to be perfect in terms of the balance between classroom and skills training. In a year or so you will be ready for the advanced rider refresher.
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

.................Mike

Spyder Garage

Yep, training is always good, especially for new experiences. And explore the line. Ask your elf important questions like will I be touring? Will I have passengers, Will I be using this for "store runs". Remember to always physically prepare too, not commenting on your personal health, its just that especially on the three wheeler, the activity level increases. I find that I "work" more riding a trike than I ever did a bike, so doing exercises and stretches can be beneficial. Ask your self these questions cause it you plan on long tours, the Spyders are likely a better fit with large engines and such, and they can tow trailers if you are going to camp. But even if you plan on a passenger, I am not slighting the Ryker 600, but extra weight takes extra power and torque, a lot more than people judge,, and the Ryker 600 WAS designed as a one passenger vehicle. SO if you are to have a regular riding passenger, a Spyder will definitely be a better fit. Lastly, I love the 600, I got to ride one finally. It's fun, perky, and has torque for what it is.....its not a highway rig, it just does not handle higher speed, and the freeway speed, the thing has to work, it has no passenger options at that power rating. ITS PERFECT IN THE CITY 0-65 ALL DAY, hanging out on a super slb for 2 hours at 75 mph plus....not so much, it would overwork the trike.....just some thoughts, and enjoy the group. Remember that with a 600, you cannot exercise the best defense a bike or a trike has...the ability to get away....I ride where my best defense, tends to be an offense, and you need throttle response at all speeds, the 600 leaves you hanging at higher speed....with the Ryker 900, you have to ADD so much aftermarket to make it storage friendly, and it has no frunk. I am sorry. I love my frunk, LOVE it.....just my opinions is all.
    Kraig B. Kumlin, M.M., M.C.P. (Retired)

Only Two States Left to Visit on MC or Trike, RI and CT
    2012 RS-S , Baja Ron Plug Wire Kit and NGK Iridium Plugs Grey and Black

Spyder Garage

David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

I agree that the Ryker is a sport bike more than a touring bike. I have a Ryker Rally and a Spyder RT. Totally different rides for sure.
    2023 Plasma Red F3 Limited
    2020 Ryker Rally.

Spyder Garage

What do you mean, (post # 5) no frunk??? All Rykers have frunks, unless you go for the far far away dash OPTION.

Spyder Garage

The ryker frunk is tiny only big enough for your registration and maybe a rain jacket in a stuff sack and gets extremely hot so I keep my phone out of it.

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Good luck on your hunt for a Spyder.
    Toby
    2020 RTL

Spyder Garage

Thanks all. I agree krakum1967 a 900 would be my first choice but if a 600 shows up at a great price then it will come home. I will only ride solo and not much on any interstate. At 83 I am not looking for long endurance trips but for fun day trips and to town for small items. I will add a windshield and storage. The Ryker is a concession to my children and grandchildren since they want me to sell my seldom rode 883.

Spyder Garage

I do not know if all MSF classes are the same, but I do know that you get your money's worth. I have been riding for over 45 years and about ten years ago, I decided to take the MSF at a local community college in NC. I had let my cycle endorsement on my license go while I was overseas, even though I consistently rode in other countries. I was home on leave and decided to take a class. The classes were all booked up but they put me on the waiting list and I showed up the first day of the course and found a cancellation. Even though I have been riding two wheelers for many years, I still learned some valuable information that I did not already know. It was not only informative but also fun. It was a relaxed atmosphere and I did not feel that I had wasted a couple days of my vacation. I fully endorse the MSF courses for EVERYONE, even if they already have their motorcycle license. Plus, my insurance company gave me a discount for proof of course completion.

Be patient when searching for a Ryker. I have a Rally and am glad I did a bit of research and waiting to get it. Everyone has their preference, just like on two wheelers. I have owned a Harley Road King, Softail and Sporster. Some swear by the big heavy bikes, some like the small sporty bikes. I preferred the Softail while I owned the two wheelers. I have also owned other brands, metrics. Now that I am older, I feel much more relaxed on my Ryker Rally than I would on two wheels. To me, the Ryker to the Spyder is like the Harley Spotrster to the Road King comparison. That's just my opinion.

I bet you will find some good deals on the Ryker if you are patient.