Spyder Garage

Question Radiator Hose Clamp Size??

This is a plea for some help from those of you who have done coolant changes on your bikes. Spyderlovers is such a great resource of information. You have saved me lots of time on past projects, and I am looking forward to your input.

I want to do a radiator flush and fill on my 2011 RT-S. I understand that it is much safer to drain the old coolant by removing the bottom hose. I am hoping that someone here can tell me what size hose clamp to buy so I do not have to tear the bike apart to find out.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Mr Bill
    2011 RT-S , Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can't help with the size for the 998, but here is a link to purchase a 2 pack on e-bay...https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-NOS-BRP...-/162680738406

If you'd have asked about the 1330, I have them in stock and I could measured one...

larryd

Spyder Garage

Thanks larryd.

However, the ebay items are like the OEM, and I think you need a special tool to install these.

I am looking to replace the original with a stainless steel screw type, and I need to know how big the hose is so I can get the right size.
    2011 RT-S , Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can easily crimp the Oetiker style clamps with a pair of side cutter or tack puller type end cutters/end nippers if you don't have the correct tool...I would be hesitant to use a worm gear type clamp on the plastic radiator connectors...

Oetiker makes a stepless screw type clamp, but you'll need an OD hose measurement...

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...hoCYBQQAvD_BwE

https://www.harborfreight.com/10-inc...per-38496.html (These also work GREAT for cutting off Oetiker's)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bike-O-Din...I have the answer to you question...When changing the coolant yesterday I noticed the BRP part number on my lower radiator hose clamp was the same as yours...BRP #509000045...So I measured the hose OD...1.421 OD...Larger than 1 3/8" but smaller than 1 7/16" OD...The Oetiker clamp part number stamped on the clamp is 36.1 which I think is the ID if the clamp in MM...Hope this helps...larryd

Spyder Garage

Larry,

Perfect. Just the info I needed. Many thanks.

SL is just the best place to be if you own a Spyder!!

Bill
    2011 RT-S , Silver

Spyder Garage

The plumbing industry uses oetiker clamps, but not in the size you need. Home Depot sells the tool for crimping the clamps correctly, unlike the diagonal pliers suggested. Buy original and get the crimper from HD.