Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Best size rear tire

Anyone know what size auto tire would best correct the speedometer
    Thanks

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

215/60r15 puts it within 1 mph of the gps.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by toolie View Post
    Thanks
    I can't speak directly to the F3 as I ride a 2018 RTL. Mine had a 2-3 MPH error at 70 MPH with the OEM Kenda. I replaced it with a Vredstein 205/60R15 car tire, and it took about 50% of the error out. I now run about 1 MPH difference. I've heard the 215/60R15 is pretty much the ticket, but have not verified this personally.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I too run the 215/60/R15 and the GPS & speedometer are within 1 mph...

Spyder Garage

Why does anyone care about a 3-4 mph error? How many of us ride at the speed limit anyway?
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

205/65 Yokohama Avid Envigor put our 2014 RTL within 1/2mph at 75. Compared to two different GPS reading on long flat runs.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The reasons I care are: it puts more miles on the odometer than actual mileage and it inflates your actual fuel mileage...larryd

Spyder Garage

Another vote for the 215/60/15, within 1/2 mph by GPS. Thank you for NOT asking what brand of tire....LOL...
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

The reason is I don’t want to be farther away from the correct speedometer reading. I appreciate the replies
    Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    Why does anyone care about a 3-4 mph error? How many of us ride at the speed limit anyway?
    I do when riding in the residential areas with school zones, etc. Nothing wrong with having an accurate speedometer. Fortunately, most OEM speedo's read a touch optimistically.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    Because when I'm riding and trying to stay at about 4 mph over the posted limit, I want to know if I can or cannot go faster without risking a ticket! 5 mph over the posted is the real implied speed limit since LEOs won't ordinarily stop you until you're 6 or more over!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Thanks
    The reality is that EVERY SPYDER/RYKER's SPEEDO ERROR IS LIKELY TO BE DIFFERENT!! Close possibly, but they'll all be different to some degree! The ONLY thing that you can be certain of is that by International Agreement & National Legislation, when any Spyder/Ryker leaves the factory on OE Spec tires running at their recommended pressure, the speedo will most likely read somewhat faster than that machines true speed! How much faster any one machine is at any given moment, who knows?!

And then we get into how accurate is the device/s you're using to check your speedo against?! Is it a true GPS with extremely accurate positional & velocity measurement features derived from multiple satellite signals and a number of ground based signals, all of which are polled numerous times per second to get an extremely accurate result; or is it just one of those dash-top 'street directory' so called GPS jobbies that are only accurate to within 10 or so metres if & when they are at their very best and able to read the sat signals every 3 times a second or so? Or maybe it's just your telephone GPS app that's accurate to within about 100m unless it's augmented by multiple ground based signals to get it down to that 10m or so give or take a few? Or is it mathematically derived from a precise timing device used to measure precisely how long your machine took to travel a specified and accurately measured distance??

Then there's the fact that very few tires are EXACTLY the true size printed on their sidewalls - not only can there can be significant variations in the tires actual dimensions between manufacturers, brands, and even tread pattern, but there's also the differences in rolling diameter & circumference (smaller differences, maybe, but not necessarily!) due to differences in the tire's core temperature; the ambient temperature; the exact pressure that tire vs any other tire is being run at; the accuracy of the particular tire pressure gauge used to set a given tires pressure; and a whole heap more variables too!! Even any difference or change in barometric pressure at any particular time for a specific tire might mean it varies the speedo accuracy of that particular machine at that time vs any other by as much as a few miles per hour!!

So, given all that, while any &/or all of the tire size recommendations above & their speedo corrections may have worked as indicated at the time of testing and for the specific given values of that whole raft of variables at that moment, they don't necessarily make for EXACTLY the same correction now or at any other time/on any other machine/in any other circumstances/situation or with a different set of given variable values!!

All of which means THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS 'THE BEST TIRE' TO CORRECT ALL SPYDER/RYKER SPEEDO ERRORS!! What works BEST for YOU is a matter of personal choice and your tolerance for how much or how little any of those inumerable variables may change YOUR speedo's accuracy at any given moment!

Most auto tire's (but not necessarily ALL auto tires) sized between 205/65R15 and 225/55R15 will see some improvement in your Spyder/Ryker's speedo accuracy, but even that depends upon how far out it was to start with!! I personally chose to go a little bigger (to a 225/60R15) because we do lots of long & hot miles here in Aust & while the slightly larger tire makes the speedo very close to correct/accurate at my usual running pressures/operating temps/barometric pressure etc etc etc, more than anything else that size tends to wear a little better/longer FOR MY RIDING STYLE AND NEEDS/WANTS, but YMMV!

Pick a tire, any tire, within that size range..... the specific 'speedo accuracy correction' of any one tire over any other given tire is pretty much the MOST unpredictable & least reliable way of picking any tire.... and there is NO single 'best' tire to do that - but there might be a 'best for you'!! Me, I'd be looking at all the other features & potential improvements to aid my choice of tire!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-21-2020 at 08:30 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Now I have a headache and too many choices
    Thanks

Spyder Garage

Do you know what you want from the new tire? (Besides a more accurate speedo that is?? All auto tires in the size range will do that to some degree! )

Do you think Wet road traction & hydro-plane resistance is critical? Or are you more of a Dry road only ryder? What about tire life & tread wear, how important is that to you? Are you a local tourer or a speed demon who does a few track days a year? Or maybe you're a long distance tourer who only does 3 or 4 big trips each year & only rides to the corner shop all the rest of the time?

Give us something to go on and I'm sure we can help - it's just that going for improved speedo accuracy doesn't really narrow it down too much & as you now know, there's no one tire that's 'best' at giving you the most accurate speedo, so we need more to work with!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Do you know what you want from the new tire? (Besides a more accurate speedo that is?? All auto tires in the size range will do that to some degree! )

Do you think Wet road traction & hydro-plane resistance is critical? Or are you more of a Dry road only ryder? What about tire life & tread wear, how important is that to you? Are you a local tourer or a speed demon who does a few track days a year? Or maybe you're a long distance tourer who only does 3 or 4 big trips each year & only rides to the corner shop all the rest of the time?

Give us something to go on and I'm sure we can help - it's just that going for improved speedo accuracy doesn't really narrow it down too much & as you now know, there's no one tire that's 'best' at giving you the most accurate speedo, so we need more to work with!
    and Peter is a tire Guru ...... everything He said is in the Vredestein Quatrac 5 tire ... it's not the least expensive, but currently it has the best all-around rating of anything that will fit our Spyders ..... 17-18 psi for the rear .....15-16 for the front ...... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    and Peter is a tire Guru ...... everything He said is in the Vredestein Quatrac 5 tire ... it's not the least expensive, but currently it has the best all-around rating of anything that will fit our Spyders ..... 17-18 psi for the rear .....15-16 for the front ...... good luck .... Mike
    Hay!! Your no rooky ether!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'll be more specific. I use the General Altimax RT43 in the 215/60R15 size on a 2016 F3Limited at 22psi.
    Speed checked against a TomTom Rider GPS and a Garmin Zumo GPS.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This will be my last riding season on my Michelin Hydroedge which will have 30,000 plus miles on it...I would like to hear some reports from riders that are using the 215/60/R15 Cooper and Hankook rear tires...Like wet road handling??? All around traction??? Mileage wear??? Exact model of tire??? Or anything else positive or negative...Thank you, larryd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    This will be my last riding season on my Michelin Hydroedge which will have 30,000 plus miles on it...I would like to hear some reports from riders that are using the 215/60/R15 Cooper and HanCock rear tires...Like wet road handling??? All around traction??? Mileage wear??? Exact model of tire??? Or anything else positive or negative...Thank you, larryd
    I just put on a Cooper CS5 Ultra touring last week. I got it for $53 before a price increase. Only have 60 miles on it, as the weather here in WI isn't too favorable yet. Initial impressions are a very smooth ride. Time will tell...
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    This will be my last riding season on my Michelin Hydroedge which will have 30,000 plus miles on it...I would like to hear some reports from riders that are using the 215/60/R15 Cooper and HanCock rear tires...Like wet road handling??? All around traction??? Mileage wear??? Exact model of tire??? Or anything else positive or negative...Thank you, larryd
    I installed a Cooper CS5 Grand Touring about 2 years and 7000 miles ago. So far I've been quite pleased with. Still looks almost new as far as tread wear. Traction has always seemed very good except the other day. I was on some wet, but not standing water, asphalt making a right turn at a stop sign. I gunned it and the tire broke loose but regained traction instantly when I (or Nanny?) rolled back the throttle. I don't think I've ever had it break loose going straight forward. I believe the width of the tread and the lightness of the rear end are going to make it fairly easy for any tire to break loose on wet pavement while accelerating in a sharp turn.

This Cooper breaks loose often on my smooth garage floor when I'm trying to get the Spyder up on a ramp. All sorts of black streaks have been laid down.

I had a Michelin Hydroedge before the Cooper. It broke loose on wet concrete pavement going straight ahead from a traffic light.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I have looked at consumer reports on tire ratings and there are some promising reports on General Altimax and Vredestin Quadtrac . These the two I am looking at.
    I was looking at 215/60 but after Peters post I am leaning towards 225/60. Will probably order on Monday.
    Defiantly considering wet traction.
    Thanks

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have looked at consumer reports on tire ratings and there are some promising reports on General Altimax and Vredestin Quadtrac . These the two I am looking at.
    I was looking at 215/60 but after Peters post I am leaning towards 225/60. Will probably order on Monday.
    Defiantly considering wet traction.
    Thanks
    The RT43, and the Q-5 are both very good .... ( but the Q-5 is the better of the two ) ............ 225/60 ????? is this a typo ???? .... Mike

Spyder Garage

No typo Peter is running this size because of the high heat in his country. I also have triple digit temps here in the Rio Grande Valley.

Spyder Garage

Default Rear tire

Thanks for all the replies on tires. After all the googling I just ordered a Vredestin Quatrac 5 205/65R15.
    It’s just a tire and I was overthinking the whole process
    Thanks

Spyder Garage

Some times we do that a lot on here!!! But at times it's a good thing.
    2012 RTL , Pearl