Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Touring with the Virus

My Spring season of touring is about to kick off,or at least it usually would.Im getting a little nervous about whether or not restaurants or lodging will be available near Nashville,Tupelo,NOLA and Maggie Valley.Also does anyone have any ideas on protecting ourselves during the trip.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

For us it will be call ahead, hand sanitizer. the wife hs some purse size bottles and a samll package of wipes so door handles can be cleaned etc. We are ready to get out there also. I noticed that when you google a restaurant it has there normal business hours. So that is why we will be phoning first. for example our favorite BBQ north of us has outside seating if they are open etc. Hope this helps
    Dave
    2013 RT Limited
    Lamonster FBB with larger gripper pegs
    Value Accessories dah mount
    Custom Dynamics High Mount brake light
    BRP passenger arm rests

Spyder Garage

I know it's not in that area but here in Wis. all bars and restaurants are open for take out only! Would not be surprised to see that everywhere.Even fast food is drive thru only.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder01 View Post
    My Spring season of touring is about to kick off,or at least it usually would.Im getting a little nervous about whether or not restaurants or lodging will be available near Nashville,Tupelo,NOLA and Maggie Valley.Also does anyone have any ideas on protecting ourselves during the trip.
    If I were you at this time I would stay home, here in California you are lucky to find a restaurant open only drive through. NO public restrooms
    even the motels have closed signs. Go when all this crazyness is over.

Spyder Garage

Los Angeles turned from full business to full lockdown in less than a week - I don't think this is the time to do more than ride for the day and return home.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

The term "staycation" comes to mind here. We are down to day rides within a hundred miles or so. We are avoiding crowds, stores, and restaurants (which now are mostly closed except for take out).

The wind therapy is good, and so far we are trying to keep as much distance from being exposed as possible.

Ride careful and ride safe.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I'm sorry, but what part of social distancing and self isolation do people not understand? It is time to give up on unnecessary trips outside of the house for awhile. As much as we like to ride, go see the local scenery and return to the safety of your home each night. You and I will both benefit.

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    The term "staycation" comes to mind here. We are down to day rides within a hundred miles or so. We are avoiding crowds, stores, and restaurants (which now are mostly closed except for take out).

The wind therapy is good, and so far we are trying to keep as much distance from being exposed as possible.

Ride careful and ride safe.
    X2. up here in Western Canada, I’m limiting my trips to 1 tank of fuel there and return. I can do that to get the wind therapy that I so dearly love.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Day trip only. Pay at the pump only. Wipe and sanitizer at the handy. Other than that stay the hell home like the rest of us. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Just be aware this virus isn't as much about how deadly it is, but more about how easily it is transmitted with an incubation period of two to fourteen days. People can be symptom free for several days after exposure, all the while exposing other people. The mortality rates won't truly be known until it has run it's course for a few months or more. The big deal now is to not spread it. The impacts on health care facilities and availability of ventilators are probably the most crucial part of the whole deal. I found this graphic on another page that is a pretty clear depiction of how social distancing can help. Looking at this and thinking about over 400 being infected in a community where there is no hospital or a very small one with only 40 or 50 beds available sort makes it clear how bad it can get and how isolation can be such a big help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree with what's been said above. Now isn't the time to engage in unnecessary travel. I would suggest day trips only and only as necessary. All restaurants in FL are now take out only. Everyone be safe. Dale

Spyder Garage

...stay home until its cleared..one of the worst things things that could happen..is both getting "Sick" hundreds of miles from home....

..its expensive to ship a "Body"..

On a side note:
    (Neighbor couple lived deep in the forest in the Black Hills..husband 70 years died during the night..ambulance came took him to hospital...dead. She got permission (somehow) to bring him 600 miles away to a town he grew up in for cemeteries bury, using their Chev suburban & body in bag/coffen in the rear seat..)

Spyder Garage

I wrote off my tours this year, and I would recommend the same for you.

You have no idea where this thing is and you cross enough "germ pools" as it is travelling. The symptoms are to obscure. Did you know that Iceland is testing all residents, and 50% of the ones coming in hot for Corona ARE NOT SHOWING SYMPTOMS 50%!!!! Half of the infected are walking around all willy nilly....

I am staying home, disinfecting the house, cleaned my garage, organizing my parts, grooming my pets, shampooing my curtains, waxing my candle sticks, getting ready to plant, and now that I have to have a garden this year, I really will not be travelling.walking my fence line at night, and I DO ride...at night in the isolation away from others, and I live in one of the lowest population densities in the nation, we do have tourists, but we would really appreciate it people would stay home...its too weird out here right now.

For the time being I AM quarantined. My wife and family was tested this week, my wife has some respiratory issues and is under cardiac review, and I am disabled young due to my ticker, so our clinic called us in and tested us. Mark was tested as he is in our domicile and he needs to stay put too. We will have the results by Wednesday

Please be safe people. Stay local, stay at home, stay in touch with your family. This is not a time to tour not right now.
    Kraig B. Kumlin, M.M., M.C.P. (Retired)

Only Two States Left to Visit on MC or Trike, RI and CT
    2012 RS-S , Baja Ron Plug Wire Kit and NGK Iridium Plugs Grey and Black

Spyder Garage

And Colorado and Western Utah are shutting down, the bars and restaurants are done, yeea they are doing walk up and drive through, but again, 50% of the people tested positive for Corona Virus in Iceland (and they are testing all residents) are coming back positive WITH NO SYMPTOMS...they are just "vectoring".....stay home......
    Kraig B. Kumlin, M.M., M.C.P. (Retired)

Only Two States Left to Visit on MC or Trike, RI and CT
    2012 RS-S , Baja Ron Plug Wire Kit and NGK Iridium Plugs Grey and Black

Spyder Garage

Suggestions are good...but...let us refrain from calling others out.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by krakum1967 View Post
    IYou have no idea where this thing is and you cross enough "germ pools" as it is travelling. The symptoms are to obscure. Did you know that Iceland is testing all residents, and 50% of the ones coming in hot for Corona ARE NOT SHOWING SYMPTOMS 50%!!!! Half of the infected are walking around all willy nilly....
    Correction, based on what I found with Google, https://cleantechnica.com/2020/03/21...cold-symptoms/ Iceland is not testing all of the population. They are testing a sample from across the entire population, enough to be statistically representative of the whole population. All other nations have been and are testing those who are suspect, either because of symptoms or because of association with known carriers.

But the 50% asymptomatic aspect should scare the **** out of all of us. We have no way of knowing who may or may not be contagious. Here is an unsettling quote from the article:
    The rest (35.7%) have not been conclusively traced to a source of transmission. …
    On the other hand there is this reassuring comment in the article.
    “deCode has published the results of a total of 5 490 tests. Those have yielded 47 positive results (0.86%) indicating that the prevelance (sic) of the virus is modest among the general population,”
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 03-21-2020 at 05:02 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Let me just point out that whatever medical information you see in any thread here should be taken with a grain of salt. It may be spot on it may not. Go to official sources for definitive information, even those are changing daily as more is known. Everything is a continuum of risk, where on that line you want to be is a personal decision. Just take into account other people when making it.

Just my humble opinion.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

New Jersey announced 100 % stay at home only out for dr. appointment or grocery store . They said they will start fining people if too many venture out. I am staying home . My job has me home on call only , but i am considered essicial personal and I could go out . But, as much as I would like to take a ride I will stay put .

Spyder Garage

Ohio is closed for business. Schools, restaurants (carry out only), bars and clubs, etc. Although the outbreak isn't as bad here as on the coasts we have a governor who is being very aggressive and I imagine in the next day or so he will announce travel limitations. We average over 25K a year on our travels, but this may be a year of shorter rides. Our daughter and her hubby are Nurse Practitioners and they are scared. Not because of the deadly aspect, but because of the ease with which this virus moves from person to person. That along with the fact that no one has any immunity to this virus. Safe travels to those who venture out. As for us we will cruise close to home until this scourge has passed.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My department @ work has been working from home most of this week. I expect at least another 2 weeks of the same, maybe longer. I'm fine with that. I picked up groceries (like I stayed in the car and they brought them out to me) for the first time in my life yesterday. Plan to continue to do that for an indefinite period of time. It's not as convenient and there's a small fee but it's a heck of a lot more convenient and cheaper than getting full blown CV. I went to the drug store today, aswell to pick up some insulin and the last of the stores Tylenol (2 boxes left on the shelves) as a "just in case". I have more shop rags than I know what to do with so I tucked one in my pocket. I used that to open doors, pick up the pen to sign the CC machine, etc. As soon as I got home and took my shoes off, I tossed that in the washer and washed my hands.

Other than the occasional day ride, I don't plan on leaving the house any time soon. I don't think a day ride will matter. Bring a shop rag with you so you can fuel up w/o touching anything.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

spyder01, please don't take all these comments personal. It's just that so many of us are uptight and concerned about this unprecedented calamity that we just can't comprehend the idea of long distance touring at this time. You don't say how soon you were planning on taking off but the implication is fairly soon. Note that Louisiana and New Orleans are one of the hot spots of the virus outbreak. In fact, NOLA is under a stay home mandate now, so you can be sure visitors won't be welcomed with open arms.
    If you don't have the same level of concern many of us have I suggest you take a real close look at the numbers. I posted quite a few in my thread in the Off Topic section. Nobody knows what the future has in store for us, but all indications are it ain't good.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

i now in june we planned to ride skyline and the blueridge parkway on a 2week tour now who nows
    2019 f3t , titanium

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yep, short day trip if that even, think we are all getting 'cabin fever' but better that getting 'the Corona Virus'.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-22-2020 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Chinese to Corona

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    spyder01, please don't take all these comments personal. It's just that so many of us are uptight and concerned about this unprecedented calamity that we just can't comprehend the idea of long distance touring at this time. You don't say how soon you were planning on taking off but the implication is fairly soon. Note that Louisiana and New Orleans are one of the hot spots of the virus outbreak. In fact, NOLA is under a stay home mandate now, so you can be sure visitors won't be welcomed with open arms.
    If you don't have the same level of concern many of us have I suggest you take a real close look at the numbers. I posted quite a few in my thread in the Off Topic section. Nobody knows what the future has in store for us, but all indications are it ain't good.
    Thanks for an actual answer to my question,I also found on a Graham county FB page that they are closing down some of the best roads around Maggie Valley and all of the lodging in the area indefinitely as of Monday.So theyre making it hard just to get out and ride all by yourself,this sucks.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

So far, my only "booked" trip is Sturgis in August. If this crap isn't over by then, their will be too many other problems to worry about . That said, I'm holding off my spur of the moment rips till June at the earliest. Just cancelled a Apr. 12-17 vacation in Gulf Shores

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue