Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Cycle Gear Bilt Products - any good?

I've always been skeptical about Cycle Gear Bilt brand products. I guess I've always figured they came from China and had to be cheaply made in order to be so low priced compared to brand name products. I don't see a lot of brand name items in the Cycle Gear store or catalog. But I need to get a pair of new riding gloves and decided I really should find out if maybe I've been unjustifiably putting them down. So, my question is does anyone here have experience with Bilt products, particularly things like jackets, gloves, and helmets? Are they worth considering? What's been your experience with them?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Mac, buy the best gear you can afford. Bilt products are cheap, value vs quality. You ride a lot, and I’m afraid you would be disappointed. Have you ever been unhappy with the very best?
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I've always been skeptical about Cycle Gear Bilt brand products. I guess I've always figured they came from China and had to be cheaply made in order to be so low priced compared to brand name products. I don't see a lot of brand name items in the Cycle Gear store or catalog. But I need to get a pair of new riding gloves and decided I really should find out if maybe I've been unjustifiably putting them down. So, my question is does anyone here have experience with Bilt products, particularly things like jackets, gloves, and helmets? Are they worth considering? What's been your experience with them?
    I have used several BILT branded products and have had NO TROUBLE with them. the helmets are all DOT and some are also SNEL check for yourself
    if you have worries about the helmets buy another brand you feel safe with, their other products are good such as jackets, pants, boots and such
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 03-21-2020 at 12:24 AM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

For riding gloves either lined or un-lined .... I have had really good luck with Deerskin .... they can be treated ( by you ) with waterproofing or not .... after they get wet , you dry them and they don't get stiff .... and they wear like iron ...... when I was vendoring, they were a good selling item ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Cycle Gear’s helmet selection is unmatched. They have every brand to evaluate fit and finish. You can then either buy in person or look on line for the best price. I have have found their low end lines are junk and you really are just throwing your money away if you plan to use more than a couple times. It comes down to how much you value your own well being- by appearance these products all look comparable but if you do the research and know what ratings and materials will actually keep you safe you will find a wide gap in what’s acceptable and what isn’t.

Spyder Garage

Have gone through several Bilt modular helmets and can find no fault. DOT approved and all that. The winter gear, for the money, has suited us very well in what passes for winter down here.As stated, Cycle Gear does have an excellent variety of gear, not just helmets. (YMMV) And, yes, the low end lines can be sketchy, but you can always do a comparison on the spot. We have the Hi Viz mesh jackets for summer and they work as advertised.
    You know what they say about opinions......
    David
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167

Spyder Garage

I have always been one to stay away from lesser quality PPE when it comes to motorcycle riding gear.....and Bilt products are definitely lesser quality gear, in the scheme of things. Yes, many times they look just like the other brands, but there is a reason that the pricing is so much lower than higher quality brands of the same product. Unfortunately, just looking at a given product does not offer any kind of definitive proof on quality. The true test is lab testing to see how various products hold up when subjected to tests that are meant to stress the product. Some of us, myself included has crash tested some of the products that we use. I've only been down once on the street, but three different times on the race track. In all four instances, the products that I was wearing prevented much more serious injuries and I was happy that I had spent the time on researching and the money on buying products that I felt were superior to some of the others that were of lesser quality. I have always been an ATGATT type of guy, and will continue to wear what I feel offers the most protection to keep me safe in the event of an "off". Dress for the crash, not for the ride!

Spyder Garage

My first jacket came from Cycle Gear. I was pleased with it. After a few years i upgraded to a higher priced, higher quality jacket but i was never disappointed in the Cycle Gear brand. Besides online sales, they have a significant retail chain. If a location is near you, you should try on the gear yourself once they are open.

Spyder Garage

I've purchased and still use items from Cycle Gear. BILT coats for myself and my sweetheart for cold temperature riding. Both have Cycle Gears Freeze-out liners which keep us warm, base layer freeze-out pants to keep our legs warm, and freeze-out head caps. We've had these products for about 7 years and we are very satisfied with their performance.

Spyder Garage

I am admittedly a fanboy of the Cycle Gear store and online. I called online with questions and received great, on-point advice. The store employees have a great depth of knowledge and are very helpful before, during, and after the sales. If you buy something it is easy to return and they have great prices and selection. I have not bought BILT gear, but use Cycle Gear for my purchases.
    Jim

Spyder Garage

My wife and I have a number of Cycle Gear products and have not been disappointed, we like the heated gear and use it often with no problems.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

My wife and I use several Bilt products too...no disappointments here. I suppose it depends on what you want the gloves to provide...warmth, comfort, cooling, slide protection....they're gloves......everyone has an opinion of course.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Mac, buy the best gear you can afford. Bilt products are cheap, value vs quality. You ride a lot, and I’m afraid you would be disappointed. Have you ever been unhappy with the very best?
    I agree.

When Cycle Gear was a young up and coming company they featured a variety of brands with no house brand and they grew rapidly. They got bought out by a conglomerate company (Now owning Revzilla BTW) and came out with the low end Chinese BILT brand. I've found their helmets (they have to be DOT or they can't sell them), jackets, boots, and gloves are all at the very low end of the spectrum, but completely serviceable. Some of their undergarments, like their Freeze out and Heat Out lines, and socks are actually pretty decent.

They have in the last year or two came out with a higher end house brand, Sedici, which is supposed to be a little higher quality than BILT. In speaking to the clerks at my local store they did this because they got too many complaints about the lack of quality in the BILT stuff. Some of the Sedici stuff doesn't look half bad for the money, but I haven't tried it.

I've found over many years of riding that you get what you pay for in the gear department. If you don't ride much, then BILT or Sedici will be okay. If you put a lot of miles on your gear, then don't fool around and buy the best you can afford. (I personally like BMW gear, which frequently goes on sale for reasonable prices, considering the quality.)
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Cycle Gear is my go to clothing store. I have a lot of their gear and had it for many years with no problems. I have seen the same things on others that were popular brands and they paid twice or more what I did.
    I like to try before I buy and they have tryout rooms for that purpose.
    Go to Cycle Gear and YOU decide for yourself. Don't let me or others influence you.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Good points of view from both sides.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Both Deb and I like Cycle gear, owning several pair of their gloves and Deb's winter jacket and waterproof boots. Never any problems with them as far as quality and great prices.
    Helmets ? I've always purchased named brands (mainly Shoei, also HJC, Bell, Scorpion, etc) and always full face. Always wanted to try a modular but not at the $500-$600 price point. Thought I'd give the Bilt Power Boost Modular a try - great on sale price !

I have not been disappointed at all. Good fit, comfortable, drop down sun visor, pinlock shield ready and installed. My only small gripe is the inability to crack the shield any less than a 1/2" - I can live with that. We ridden a few miles, as our signature map shows.
    Hope this and the previous posts help the OP

Spyder Garage

I have two experienced views of Cycle Gear clothing. On the good side, I recently consigned to the dust bin a Bilt mesh summer jacket that gave up the ghost after 5+ years and 65K+ miles. It was miserably faded, had some wear holes beginning to show and was getting generally ratty. It served me very well. On the bad side, my first pair of mesh summer gloves were impregnated with a really s****y dye that came of on my hands every time I donned them. Needless to say they had a very short wardrobe life.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The Bilt stuff is good and their other store brand Sedici is a step up in features. Now that they are working with Revzilla they have stepped up the quality. I just purchased some Bilt gloves because my 5 year old Sedici's are worn.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaqugXO56dc&t=2s
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

A lot of people don’t realize you can upgrade a value purchase or gear you already own with more robust armor padding. Interesting article:

https://ridermagazine.com/2019/07/29...apparel-armor/

Spyder Garage

I've had some BILT products. I have no problem with them. My mesh gloves have failed at the seem by the palm from repeated tugging when putting the gloves on. I just sewed it up.
    I have a winter jacket that I'm quite pleased with.
    Value priced ?? Sure.
    I'd say you get roughly 90% of the quality for about 75% of the price. Is that good enough ? Each one has to make their own decision.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    I agree.

When Cycle Gear was a young up and coming company they featured a variety of brands with no house brand and they grew rapidly. They got bought out by a conglomerate company (Now owning Revzilla BTW) and came out with the low end Chinese BILT brand. I've found their helmets (they have to be DOT or they can't sell them), jackets, boots, and gloves are all at the very low end of the spectrum, but completely serviceable. Some of their undergarments, like their Freeze out and Heat Out lines, and socks are actually pretty decent.

They have in the last year or two came out with a higher end house brand, Sedici, which is supposed to be a little higher quality than BILT. In speaking to the clerks at my local store they did this because they got too many complaints about the lack of quality in the BILT stuff. Some of the Sedici stuff doesn't look half bad for the money, but I haven't tried it.

I've found over many years of riding that you get what you pay for in the gear department. If you don't ride much, then BILT or Sedici will be okay. If you put a lot of miles on your gear, then don't fool around and buy the best you can afford. (I personally like BMW gear, which frequently goes on sale for reasonable prices, considering the quality.)
    I didn’t realize Sedici was a house brand. I have a pair of Sedici summer over pants that are decent but the fastening system needs better design. Their weight, ventilation and padding are all good. I don’t wear them much since I got the Bohn armor that I now wear under my jeans.

The Sedici jacket is great for fall, Calif winter and early spring. Hi viz, 2 layers to remove depending on the temp. The only thing I’d change is more zippers for ventilation when it’s warmer.

Now that I’ve written this I guess I should just wash all the gear and get ready for being able to ride again!
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Just curious.....how many of those that have posted that "Bilt" products are good, have actually crash tested that claim and was still happy with the product after the crash? I'm talking about hitting the pavement type crashing!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by triplethreat View Post
    Just curious.....how many of those that have posted that "Bilt" products are good, have actually crash tested that claim and was still happy with the product after the crash? I'm talking about hitting the pavement type crashing!
    My son has a Bilt mesh jacket. I compared it to my Tourmaster mesh jacket. The padding is the same CE approved in both jackets. The mesh material on the Bilt is as heavy as the Tourmaster. The big differences are in the zippers and other fasteners, they are rather cheap, Also the liner with the Bilt is much thinner and less quality material. For those that can't afford the high $$$ stuff the Bilt brand is miles ahead of the T-shirt or denim jacket that a lot of folks are wearing. It's called variety and I'm glad we have it. Buy what you can afford or are comfortable with and enjoy the ride.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    My son has a Bilt mesh jacket. I compared it to my Tourmaster mesh jacket. The padding is the same CE approved in both jackets. The mesh material on the Bilt is as heavy as the Tourmaster. The big differences are in the zippers and other fasteners, they are rather cheap, Also the liner with the Bilt is much thinner and less quality material. For those that can't afford the high $$$ stuff the Bilt brand is miles ahead of the T-shirt or denim jacket that a lot of folks are wearing. It's called variety and I'm glad we have it. Buy what you can afford or are comfortable with and enjoy the ride.
    I appreciate your input and comparison. What you stated about zippers, fasteners, and many times the amount of stitching (or lack of it) and the material used for the actual stitching, can make a huge difference whether or not a product survives in a crash or get off scenario. Even the highest rated CE armor doesn't do much good if the jacket or pants that contains it comes apart during an incident. And I also know that not everyone can plop down a couple of grand for helmet, jacket, pants, gloves, boots, etc. but my opinion is that you should always try to buy the very best that you can afford....and like you said, any type of protective equipment is usually better than Zero equipment or blue jeans and t-shirts.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by triplethreat View Post
    I hope I don't crash enough to test the Olympia/Cortech/Toumaster/Alpinestars/Indian/Harley/etc gear I have to verify effectiveness

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue