Spyder Garage

Default 2020 RT rear USB ports - switched or live?

Are the rear USB outlets in the RT’s back case switched or are they live all the time?

Rickpenny
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-20-2020 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Title - rear not read
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Switched. Open trunk, turn key on, see light. Turn key off, light goes out. USB on same circuit. Key off, usb off. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

cptjam, I think you are wrong. The 2020 RT-L is like the older RT's. By moving fuse #7 (right hand fuse box) to fuse location #6, the USB outlet power goes from on all the time to only being on with the key. Ref: page 145 of the 2020 RT-L owner's manual.
    2020 RT-Limited , Petrol Metallic Chrome Edition

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JackinSpokane View Post
    cptjam, I think you are wrong. The 2020 RT-L is like the older RT's. By moving fuse #7 (right hand fuse box) to fuse location #6, the USB outlet power goes from on all the time to only being on with the key. Ref: page 145 of the 2020 RT-L owner's manual.
    He asked if it were hot or switched, in stock form. Stock, it is switched power. Can it be made hot all the time? You bet! I have not tried that, but will when I can.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Hmmmm, I did not know that moving the fuse would make the USB port hot all of the time. Thanks for the info.

The problem with that is the USB port is lit and will be a constant current draw on your battery when the bike is not running. Not an issue if its for a few hours, but a big issue when stored for weeks in the garage. I am not a big fan of having the USB ports in place of the cigarette lighter power outlet. On my 2010 RTS it had a cigarette lighter outlet that was hot all of the time. I connected my battery tender to that port to keep the battery up to charge while not riding. I had a cigarette power to USB adapter to charge my phone while riding.

On the 2020 RT I have a USB powered lithium battery pack plugged into the Spyder which charges while I ride. The battery pack has two USB outlets that I use to charge my Sena headsets while I am in a Diner / Hotel whatever.
    Bob H - Derry, NH
    2020 Spyder RT Limited - Petrol Metallic Blue
    2010 RT622 Trailer and BRP Hitch
    BRP Vented Touring Windshield, BRP Backrest
    Garmin 590 with BRP Mount
    Fobo TPMS for Spyder and Trailer
    Lidlox, Blue Sea Fuse Box for power distribution
    Ram Ball Mounts for Radar Detector, Cup Holder and Phone Holder
    Sena 20S / SL2 Headsets, Foam Grip Covers, Belt Tensioner
    BAJA Ron Sway Bar and Shock Adjusters, Heli Bars

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by upsdoctor View Post
    Hmmmm, I did not know that moving the fuse would make the USB port hot all of the time. Thanks for the info.

The problem with that is the USB port is lit and will be a constant current draw on your battery when the bike is not running. Not an issue if its for a few hours, but a big issue when stored for weeks in the garage. I am not a big fan of having the USB ports in place of the cigarette lighter power outlet. On my 2010 RTS it had a cigarette lighter outlet that was hot all of the time. I connected my battery tender to that port to keep the battery up to charge while not riding. I had a cigarette power to USB adapter to charge my phone while riding.

On the 2020 RT I have a USB powered lithium battery pack plugged into the Spyder which charges while I ride. The battery pack has two USB outlets that I use to charge my Sena headsets while I am in a Diner / Hotel whatever.
    Moving the fuse to make the rear case outlet usb port, switched or constant live. Is described on page 145 of your owners manual. But they do call it a 12V power outlet. The other customer accessory power pigtails are likely on the same circuit. They were on older models.

If you don't like the usb port. It should be really easy to switch it out to a 12v power plug.

On my F3L the the usb plug is only switch and cannot be changed by moving a fuse. I wanted to use it to charge my helmet communicator when parked. So that doesn't work. But I plugged in a cheap power bank. It's plugged in all the time. It then charges as i am driving. When stopped. I plug in the communicator to it. It works very well in fact. So the same thing can be done on a RT. So no battery drain and other items you attach to that circuit will turn off as well.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I did the fuse move and it does make the rear ports hot all the time.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic Dark