Spyder Garage

Default Installing short reach bars on the 2020 RTL

I just finished installing the BRP short reach bars on my 2020 RTL and thought I'd post up a few tidbits for anyone thinking of doing the job themselves.

The new handlebars are substantially longer than the originals and the difference is rather dramatic. Honestly, I'd rather BRP had something in between, but they don't. So before you undertake this job you might want to find another bike with these bars already installed to verify before you buy. Otherwise, the Helibars are completely adjustable.

First of all it's fairly easy and straight forward with only one really fiddly part.

The only tools needed are a T45, a T20, a 5mm Allen, and something to cut a buried plastic zip tie (the fiddly part).

The kit is for the F3 and also the new RT.

The only difference is a kind of gotcha. That being the new plastic wire holders for the F3 are smaller than the new RT. I didn't notice before hand, so I just installed the new ones on the new bars. Nope. You have to remove the old ones from the RT bars and move them onto the new bars and ignore the new wire holders. In doing so you have to remove the old bars first in order to easily reach and remove the plastic clips. These are held in place by T20 self threaded screws.

The kit comes with all of the new bolts pre-loctited with the yellow compound. You can reuse the old ones or just install the new bolts, which is what I did. If you reuse for whatever reason, then you can just use blue loctite, which is basically the same stuff. Since the bolts are all loctited, then you do have to be careful to not let the tool slip on the bolts to scar the heads.

Once you get everything moved over and installed you'll find the wires are too short. They are long enough, but they are zip-tied underneath so you can't pull enough loose to install the longer bars. This is the fiddly part. That being the location of the zip tie.

If you remove the right hand speaker cover next to the glove box, you'll find the zip tie. The speaker cover comes off super easy, but you have to be careful. You remove it by pinching with your fingers and gently pulling up on the inside portion. You'll see the mounting tabs and how to reinstall. Underneath the speaker cover is obviously, the speaker. However, the speaker can't be removed easily because of the plastic dash and the speaker is located inside of a plastic housing that partially blocks access to the wire harness.

The harness runs underneath the handlebars. The left side wires route to the right side, and the right and left side harnesses are zip-tied together on the right side. The zip tie is anchored to the frame by way of a plastic and metal clip that I couldn't easily dislodge. I cut the zip tie using a long bladed scissor. This must be done SUPER carefully so you don't nip the wires. However, once done you can gently pull enough slack wire to finish the job.

I usually don't use a torque wrench, so I don't know the proper torque values. After turning wrench for a very long time I can usually get close enough with my wrist torque wrench . However, if you are comfortable using the German torque method (goodenough), then I'm sure it's available if anyone wants to look it up.

2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good info KX. I will be installing the short reach (f3) bars on my 20 RTL, I say, 'I', actually I will let the dealer tech where I bought do the job, just not in my job description, at least I get the customer discount. Wish I could have tried the short reach on a 20 RTL, but that would be a fruitless search. I did sit on a f3, but that really told me nothing, whole different frame/seat combo. We shall see, I think it will be fine. At least I won't be buying that very expensive tri-axis bar.

Spyder Garage

Would you mind posting a few pictures of the short reach bars on your bike? Both with you sitting on your Spyder and hands on the grips and without. I have a set of short reach bars as well as the stock set for the F3. I'm just trying to get a visual before my Spyder shows up here.

Thanks
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wondered how they would be, after riding a 2020 RT for a while I rode a stock F3T and realized that I was reaching a lot farther on the F3T than I was on the new RT. Seems like Rox Risers might be the best answer.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Not to hijack this thread, but I found the Heli Bars to be quite excellent, and infinitely adjustable.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

ThreeWheells, will the helibars fit the 20 RTL?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Yes they will fit the 2020.
    2020 RTL SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I wondered how they would be, after riding a 2020 RT for a while I rode a stock F3T and realized that I was reaching a lot farther on the F3T than I was on the new RT. Seems like Rox Risers might be the best answer.
    I’m 5’8” and need a “tweener” bar - between the stock and short reach size.

I rode the RT yesterday with the short reach bars and did not like it. Told hubby I thought the risers he put on the ‘08 GS would be better on the original 2020 RT bars. The short reach bars intrude on the rider space too much for me which affects the ride seating and arm positions.
    2020 RTL SE6 Asphalt Grey
    2014 RT SE6, Pearl White 57k (2014-2020)
    2008 GS Premier 17k (2012-2014)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Was that the 20 RTL?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CentralCoastCA View Post
    I rode the RT yesterday with the short reach bars and did not like it.
    Where were you able to to do that?
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

They fit great and look good. Infinitely adjustable and if you trade bikes, take them with you. You just can't go wrong.
    We have sold several for 2020 RT's already.
    Shown below on our own 2020 RT.
    http://store.valueaccessories.net/He...rsF3andRT.aspx

Rick
    Spyder Lovers Vendor
    Value-Accessories

Spyder Garage

Yes, the short bars were on my 2020 RT. Hubby put them on yesterday, probably taking them off tomorrow
    2020 RTL SE6 Asphalt Grey
    2014 RT SE6, Pearl White 57k (2014-2020)
    2008 GS Premier 17k (2012-2014)

Spyder Garage

Yes, they are installed on my new 2020 RT Limited.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

B, try Rox Risers; looks like the top clamp on the RT will foul them, but, a top clamp from an F3T should fit. I did not confirm that, and now, we are home. The RT’s are in Texas. I think that will be the best combination.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Like CCCA said, I too found the bars are too close or too high. They just don't hit a sweet spot. It appears the kit is just for an F3, and because the new RT use the same handlebar mounting system they're advertising them as being for them too. The F3 does have a different rider's triangle than the new RT, which also has a different rider's triangle from the old RT too, so the bars are just too close in for my comfort. However, everybody's different, so you really won't know until you try it.

As I said in another thread, I'm going to putting my kit up for sale because they're just not going to work for me. If anyone wants to give them a go, then PM me, and we can talk.
    2020 RTL SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

At least I won't be buying that very expensive tri-axis bar.
    The tri-axis bar doesn't fit on the 2020s, at least that's what I was told by a dealer. Because of KX's desire for an in-between bar between the stock and the short reach bars, I'm may go with the Heli-Bar.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Your dealer is correct, the tri-axis bars do not fit the new RT models. They use the same handlebar arrangement as the F3. The only difference I can see is the top cover plate is different between the RT and F3, and the difference just appears to be a stylistic one.
    2020 RTL SE6