Spyder Garage

Default After market shock absorbers?

For you guys and gals running after market shocks why did you install these? I have a 2015 Spyder RT-s with the BAJA Ron sway bar and it corners great. Just wondering if I'm still missing something?

Thanks for your input.

SCWingman

Spyder Garage

They give you a better ride and more adjustment for one thing! You can dial it in better when you may be hauling a little extra stuff on a trip or what not. My RTL came with a set of shocks up front that have ramp adjustments and I would like to adjust them a little more and cant there at the top already, with a screw adjustment if the spring is right you can screw it up for a fine tuned ride! Not to mention that you can have them rebuilt when needed and that don't cost a lot to do!! My 2 cents!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2014 RTS that I put Elka's on from new...They have failed twice, leaking oil out...When they failed the first time I put my stock shocks back on, didn't like the handling...When my Elka's failed the second time I put my stock front shocks back on, ONLY this time I had a set of BAJA Ron NEW ADJUSTOR's on my stock shocks...THEY WORK EVERY BIT AS GOOD AS MY ever failing Elka's for a fraction of the cost...Just my opinion...larryd

Spyder Garage

A lot of it really depends on the rider. In that if you are sensitive to the bike's movements, even subtle movements, then you'll notice the need for improvement. If OTOH, you just kind of ride without paying too much attention to the subtle movements of the bike along the road, then it's unlikely you'll really need them.

Neither ride style is wrong or better or worse, it's just a difference in perceptions and personalities.

For me, I'm in the middle. However, for me when I put Elka's on my 2014 RT I noticed a large, yet subtle difference in ride and handling that to me was well worth the money.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scwingman View Post
    For you guys and gals running after market shocks why did you install these? I have a 2015 Spyder RT-s with the BAJA Ron sway bar and it corners great. Just wondering if I'm still missing something?

Thanks for your input.

SCWingman
    ..... Ron's bar doesn't have any drawbacks ..... stiffer shocks and springs do ..... so you are ahead of the curve on this ...... Mike