Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELL, if this is what retirement is like......

If this staying home sitting on my BUTT is what retirement is all about,
    I want NO part of it, I am 78 this year and I am to young to just sit around....
    When you stop moving and just sit you DIE... I want no part of that as well.
    My plan is to live and ride forever .... and so far so good....
    Remember if you need anything or just want to BS give me a call.
    Dave
    Ride Safe & Connected
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 03-30-2020 at 11:55 AM.

Spyder Garage

Dave, I retired (mostly) from my one man business at 77 years young. That was 6 short years ago. I can always find projects to do, and so can my wife. I ride as often as the weather allows and do all my own bike maintenance, as well as helping others with theirs. My wife is an avid gardener and I help her with that and earn lots of Brownie Points. She's always good with me taking off, whether it be for a day or weeks. So I am finding retirement to be just great. But I know how you think and feel - as long as you enjoy what you do for a living, keep at it.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

OK, my 2 cents. I have been retired now for 17 years and don't regret a day of it. I can say that I went for at least 8 years before I woke up any morning without at least one "project" on my mind to do. Every day is not always exciting but at the worst pleasurable. And as we sold the house in '12 and went full timing in an RV it has only gotten better.

Spyder Garage

Dave;
    i retired @ age 60 (12 yrs ago).... i have yet 2 b BORED.... i average about 12,000 miles per yr on my various SPYD3RS, about 1000 miles on my TUNDRA... i build ALL my own FARKLES; FLOOR BORDZ, grips, lites, wind screen, etc etc etc..... i also built and farkle things for the group of riders i ride with: BLUE RIDGE SPYDER RIDERS...
    i agree with you, that if you sit on your butt, YOU WILL DIE an early death... like Noah, i want to live for no less than 800 yrs.... i may not make it, but every minute that i live, will be enjoyed.....
    be good, ride safely, and keep smiling....
    Dan
    Easley, SC

Spyder Garage

I got kicked out of the work force due to on the job injury at 48. 20+ plus years later I'm still doing everything I can with some limitations. If I had just quit, I'm sure they would have thrown dirt in my face by now but I just get up each morning and get at it. S@#t happens so go fast and stay ahead of it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Retirement is what you make it. I don't regret it for 1 minute, always have a list of items to do and plenty of hobbies. Best job I've ever had.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Hey folks just thought I’d chime in, I turned 62 last July, in Aug. my work went through a surplus & with the package they offered I’d have to work another 8 years to make it up, so I went... Bought my first cycle ever, a ‘13 Spyder RS ( my brother has had a RT for 3 year) and have never had so much fun, riding & upgrading... Between that, my bonsai’s & projectsw

Spyder Garage

I retired three times already. The last time was in October of 2019. I liked what I did for a living so much, I kept going back. My work was my golf, if you can relate to that analogy. Well I just started back again, however this time it's only going to be one or two weeks a month and I refuse to fly anywhere. I landed a great gig teaching some mechanical engineering seminars.

My father ended up doing something very similar. He cut back to three days a week. GOOD GRIEF, I've turned into my father! That's not such a bad thing.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Now that I'm retired I sometimes wonder how I ever found time to work!

Spyder Garage

Been retired for 38 years! Wonder if I can get a retirement pension ? Am 87 got laid off after 30 years at 49 and never been bored at all thanks to bike riding and fret work. So you will survive. We have
    rode every state in the US Alaska twice all the Provenses in Canada and all the way in Baja. Wife road her own bike. And many many side trips. Our longest single trip was 10,000 miles so its a great life!!

Spyder Garage

On my fourth retirement next Thursday. You stop, you die. No shortage of fun things to do.
    2020 Limited , Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

I just retired as of yesterday and already bored. I know it'll take some adjusting after 47yrs.
    Doesn't help everything closing up with this covid 19 CRAP!!!!!!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Dave, I retired (mostly) from my one man business at 77 years young. That was 6 short years ago. I can always find projects to do, and so can my wife. I ride as often as the weather allows and do all my own bike maintenance, as well as helping others with theirs. My wife is an avid gardener and I help her with that and earn lots of Brownie Points. She's always good with me taking off, whether it be for a day or weeks. So I am finding retirement to be just great. But I know how you think and feel - as long as you enjoy what you do for a living, keep at it.
    Dave ..... who is making you stay home , sitting on your Butt , I see you live in Calif. and that could be the issue, ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I retired in as a Quality Engineer in Pennsylvania at 67 after the company closed.
    Sold the townhouse and moved to Nevada to take care of the Mother-in-law.
    Sold all my power tools with the plan of moving into an apartment. BAD DECISION.
    Bought another townhouse and got bored with watching the leaves and grass grow. Bought a few new tools for working on the new townhouse.
    Now I'm back at work (playtime) as a Tech Writer watching the young (clueless) quality engineers.
    Will formally retire, again, next January when I reach 70+. Then will ryde and consult. No sitting around for me.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I like what my oldest brother said one time. "Retirement isn't what it's cracked up to be. It's better!"

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Dave, I retired (mostly) from my one man business at 77 years young. That was 6 short years ago.
    Are saying you are 83 and still riding a Spyder. If so, you are my hero!
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Spyder Garage

I am going on my first year of complete retirement. It went by very fast. Was hoping to travel a bit this summer, but now things are on hold. It is wait and see mode.

We did get both Spyders washed last week.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wmjkweber02 View Post
    Now that I'm retired I sometimes wonder how I ever found time to work!
    You know.... Ihave wondered that for 16 years

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Dave ..... who is making you stay home , sitting on your Butt , I see you live in Calif. and that could be the issue, ..... Mike
    Believe me, I am not sitting around doing nothing, I have been working on
    my Spyder, my Honda and my wifes 1967 Chevelle and loving it.
    I am just saying sitting around is not for me I have to keep busy.
    IMG_0232.jpg
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 03-19-2020 at 07:17 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mrbones View Post
    been retired for 38 years! Wonder if i can get a retirement pension ? Am 87 got laid off after 30 years at 49 and never been bored at all thanks to bike riding and fret work. So you will survive. We have
    rode every state in the us alaska twice all the provenses in canada and all the way in baja. Wife road her own bike. And many many side trips. Our longest single trip was 10,000 miles so its a great life!!
    you sir are truly my hero !!!!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

I Have retired 3 times and couldn't afford it. I went back to work in the mental health field as a case manager for five years. Last year at 73 that became too much to handle so I retired again. I have lots to do. Turning an old milking shed into a shop, planning a rally for my riding club (maybe it will happen), planning on attending 3 other rallies ( if they are still a go). Being the 1st Spouse of Spring City (my wife is the mayor), working on my trains, etc., etc., etc. I know you Dave, you will not be sitting around!

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Been retired 23 years and more to do now then ever. I have to prioritze. Needless to say I move slower these days. Still riding a Victory Vission (100k) just staring on the Can Am (4k). Like the Vission for long trips
    Can Am 2013 RTL SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I like what my oldest brother said one time. "Retirement isn't what it's cracked up to be. It's better!"
    My favourite saying is “ it took me close to 40 years to figure out that work is highly overrated “

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jbim View Post
    Are saying you are 83 and still riding a Spyder. If so, you are my hero!
    Still??? I was riding a two wheeler up to Feb. 2019 when I bought the Spyder. See my signature. I'm a wind junkie.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

You don't get old and stop riding.... you get old BECAUSE you stop riding!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!