Spyder Garage

Default Seeking information

Wondering if anyone has moved an RT with a Uhaul 12 ft x 6 ft enclosed trailer? If so, how were you able to load it, as the trailer does not have a ramp type door, it has hinged doors. Also, how were you able to secure it? From what I can find, there does not seem to be any way to secure it to the deck the way it can be secured on a flatbed tow truck. The cost is attractive at a little over $1K for one way from Connecticut to Texas. Really don't want to use one of their open utility, car, or motorcycle trailers. I don't want the Spyder exposed to the elements, although I do have a full cover, but I worry about marring the paint. Most importantly I would REALLY worry about security at overnight stops. Any Information that anyone has would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Not sure about the enclosed trailer, but am absolutely sure about hauling anything on an open trailer with a cover. I won't do it. Had a buddy that hauled a new shiny Harley home across 2 or 3 states on an open trailer with cover. installed To his horror, when he removed the cover he discovered that where the cover was flapping in the wind it had beat the paint completely off, and where the flapping hadn't destroyed the paint completely the movement of the cover had marred and dulled the surface. I learned from his mistake. If you have to use an open trailer, bring the cover with you to install once stopped.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    Not sure about the enclosed trailer, but am absolutely sure about hauling anything on an open trailer with a cover. I won't do it. Had a buddy that hauled a new shiny Harley home across 2 or 3 states on an open trailer with cover. installed To his horror, when he removed the cover he discovered that where the cover was flapping in the wind it had beat the paint completely off, and where the flapping hadn't destroyed the paint completely the movement of the cover had marred and dulled the surface. I learned from his mistake. If you have to use an open trailer, bring the cover with you to install once stopped.
    ...... with the " ruined paint ", any one who says " it won't happen " with a tight cover " , the only covers that will work are the type that New Car dealers use ... the vehicles is SHRINK Wrapped .... the vinyl semi-adheres to the veh.....it doesn't move -period.... WHY will any cover ruin a paint job - think about this FACT, even the most expensive car waxes " SCRATCH " paint ...... AS far as that trailer is concerned ... what you need to know is how wide the opening is doors or ramp are ..... they have to be wider by at least one inch wider than the Spyder, if you own it you can screw down 2X4's to the floor to act as guides ( like in car washers ).... they will prevent ANY side to side movement and will align the Spyder in the space of the opening ...... good luck ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    Wondering if anyone has moved an RT with a Uhaul 12 ft x 6 ft enclosed trailer?
    I don't know if it will fit through the doors of the enclosed trailer, but I am about to find out how well it will work in the 6 x 12 open trailer.

They have two versions, with and without a ramp. It will NOT fit on the version with a ramp. There are gussets at the back that hold the ramp, there is only about 59" of open space.

The 6 x 12 without the ramp has 71" of open space at the back, so there is plenty of room. I have a couple of folding aluminum ramps that will work for the front wheels, and a wooden ramp that should work well for the rear.

For tie-downs, I am planning on some short 4x4s as a bump stop for the front wheels, and will keep them from sliding forward with a 2x4. The 2x4 will go over the top of the 4x4 and extend past the tire to keep it from sliding sideways and hitting the wall of the trailer. Ratchet straps (with padding) through the front wheels to the hooks in the corners of the trailer, and a couple more ratchets (with more padding) diagonally through the rear wheel to the hooks in the rear corners.

More than once, I have had to carry a two-wheeler (or two) in the back of a U-Haul truck. Not trusting the slats on the walls for tying down, I made a cradle to hold the front wheel(s) in place and strapped the forks to the front of the cradle. I did use straps at the back of the bike to the slats on the walls, but there was not much tension on them. Even though "it's only a rental", I refuse to inflict intentional damage by screwing to the floor or walls.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    Wondering if anyone has moved an RT with a Uhaul 12 ft x 6 ft enclosed trailer? If so, how were you able to load it, as the trailer does not have a ramp type door, it has hinged doors. Also, how were you able to secure it? From what I can find, there does not seem to be any way to secure it to the deck the way it can be secured on a flatbed tow truck. The cost is attractive at a little over $1K for one way from Connecticut to Texas. Really don't want to use one of their open utility, car, or motorcycle trailers. I don't want the Spyder exposed to the elements, although I do have a full cover, but I worry about marring the paint. Most importantly I would REALLY worry about security at overnight stops. Any Information that anyone has would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Be careful with enclosed trailers. The size maybe right but make sure the trailer door is wide enough. A few years ago I rented a 6x12 utility trailer without ramp. Worked great however required finding a speed bump or 2x4s to get correct angle ot go up small gate so spider wouldn’t scrape

Spyder Garage

As others have said, absolutely do not trailer a Spyder with a cover on it. Do you tour? If so, your Spyder is at some risk at overnight stops. Do you worry about it then? I don't, not at all. Rent an open trailer and, if you think it will reduce the security risk at overnight stops, cover it with your full cover and remove the cover the next morning before traveling on.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all for your insight. It's really helpful for me to make an informed decision.
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

How about using two covers? A soft inside cover and an outer, maybe with hold offs to keep the inner from flapping in the wind.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wmjkweber02 View Post
    How about using two covers? A soft inside cover and an outer, maybe with hold offs to keep the inner from flapping in the wind.
    How about you put a cover on your Spyder and trailer it ..... have someone video it, so you can see how much that cover is moving around..... Mike

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Cover

The Cover thing is Not a good idea.
    Open Trailer and a Cover equals a damaged Spyder. .....My Tip.
    Good Luck on Your Mission. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Are you moving out of CT?
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Yeah Steve, we are hoping to get out of here by October and back home to Austin. Our son and daughter-in-law live there and really want us to move back. Plus, I hate winter and snow, and the riding season there is about 10 months.

Spyder Garage

I moved mine in a 20' horse trailer. I purchased a motorcycle/ATV aluminum folding ramp to load it. The back door center post came out so all was easy. The horse tie-downs worked well.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic Dark

Spyder Garage

I moved my 2005 GL1800A from MS to CA last year in one of those. the only real issue is LOW head clearance riding it in. I used two metal ramps and a 2x10 (shorter) for the front wheel. It is wider than a Spyder so should work. Its been a year and memory is not so great but I think there are ribs running in each corner and two on each side that we tied off too. Hope this helps.
    2020 RT LIMITED (Dark) , Caulk White

Spyder Garage

Buy a used enclosed trailer, move whatever you need, resale when you are all moved.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

For a 1 time move consider a m/c hauler, like haulbikes.com.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

We live in a motor home fulll time and have moved our '13 ST in a pickup behind the motor home WITHOUT A COVER all the time. It get awful dirty but no damage ever. I would not use a cover in motion. Period. We have been doing this for 7 years without incident. Just my experience.