Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Disinfectant alternatives

I stopped at Wally World on my way home from a liquor run to NH ( where it's really dis-counted ). I'm not into " hoarding ", however I did want to have a bit extra of hand soap with a dis-infectant / anti-virus in it's make-up .... NONE to be found, BUT there was plenty of dish washing detergent. So I bought ONE refill size .... if needed I will use that for washing my hands ...... Also none-exsistant (?) was spray disinfectant, well I remembered my folks used to add household bleach at a ratio of 1 to 25 parts of water, into a spray container ..... you can google what this mix will do .... this is an excellent germ/bacteria/ virus Killer ..... wishing everyone good health ...... we will survive this ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-20-2020 at 10:33 AM.

Spyder Garage

1 part hand lotion and 2 parts rubbing alcohol is homemade sanitizer..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Since you were making a liquor run, you could have opted for 190 proof food grade sanitizer!

(I picked up a bottle of it yesterday, in case of emergency)
    2018 RT , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Thank you for that ......... however ( and I forgot to mention ) there wasn't any rubbing alcohol either ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyScamp View Post
    Since you were making a liquor run, you could have opted for 190 proof food grade sanitizer!

This type of post is what destroys Threads that are meant to be helpful ...... So Please Use the " JOKE " Forum for any more Gems of wisdom you might have ...... THANKS ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Yes you can do this but make sure you use regular household bleach not the outdoor version,it might burn at that dilution.On a side note,I have been reading many reciepes for hand sanitizer that call for flavored vodka or real clear grain alcohol and hand lotion.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

I don’t know where the article came from, but it indicated that soap is better than disinfectants. Apparently soap weakens the virus shell and it collapses. I prefer if if an expert chimes in to validate or refute the soap idea.
    Last edited by will; 03-19-2020 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Auto correction error
    2020 Limited , Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

A reminder:

Rule #7 from the forum rules: Don't derail a thread/posts topic (diluting the topics effectiveness, i.e. you reply to a users help request asking about an F3 & you reply with check out this flashlight. )

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have an Ozone producing gizmo that I put in an enclosed Tupperware container along with my CPAP mask for sanitizing. I did a little research to see if it would be OK to put my cell phone and TV remote in the container also. I was getting mixed messages with some saying "no problem" and others saying that the Ozone could degrade parts of the electronics. I gave up looking. The mask sanitation process takes about 20 minuted each day. Anybody know if there would be any problem with electronics..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Make sure the alcohol is at least 90% strength. A 2 to 1 ratio is not enough if you're using 70% rubbing alcohol. The sanitizer needs to be 60% alcohol. If 2/3 of the mix is 70% alcohol then that's only about 47% alcohol in the final mix. A 2 to 1 mix using 90% alcohol is just barely over 60% in the final mix.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I have an Ozone producing gizmo that I put in an enclosed Tupperware container along with my CPAP mask for sanitizing. I did a little research to see if it would be OK to put my cell phone and TV remote in the container also. I was getting mixed messages with some saying "no problem" and others saying that the Ozone could degrade parts of the electronics. I gave up looking. The mask sanitation process takes about 20 minuted each day. Anybody know if there would be any problem with electronics..... Jim
    Ozone is corrosive.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    This type of post is what destroys Threads that are meant to be helpful ...... So Please Use the " JOKE " Forum for any more Gems of wisdom you might have ...... THANKS ...... Mike
    Actually that's not such a crazy idea. 190 proof is 95% ethanol (ethyl alcohol), right? That would be good alcohol to use in a sanitizer.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Actually that's not such a crazy idea. 190 proof is 95% ethanol (ethyl alcohol), right? That would be good alcohol to use in a sanitizer.
    190 proof ( drinkable ) alcohol !!! ... I can buy a quart of rubbing alcohol ( 70% ) for about $2.50 ..... how much would yours be ?????? ..... Mike ....PS. read post #8 .......

Spyder Garage

Well yes, using booze to make hand sanitizer is not a money saving method like you propose in your first post. But if neither regular hand sanitizer nor rubbing alcohol are available, and 190 proof vodka is, and if you have hand lotion, you can still have your hand sanitizer, which is another disinfectant alternative.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not throwing my opinion out there mainly because I fairly new on the forum, but I'm certainly 'subscribed'.

Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have seen that as an alternative for hand sanitizer, annnnnnnnnndddddddddd, when this is all over, we will use it to make limoncello!!
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Spyder Garage

A reminder from post #8

Rule #7 from the forum rules: Don't derail a thread/posts topic (diluting the topics effectiveness, i.e. you reply to a users help request asking about an F3 & you reply with check out this flashlight. )

Let's not make to much light of a critical situation.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Mr. Mike,
    I think he was serious. I have in fact done exactly the same thing. It is more expensive than rubbing alcohol, but Everclear and Diesel branded 190 proof alcohol for consumption is 95% pure and makes for an acceptable sanitizer. I use 75% alcohol and 25% Aloe gel to make hand sanitizer. I add 10 drops of tea tree oil just because someone said to, and a couple of drops of lemon oil for smell.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    Mr. Mike,
    I think he was serious. I have in fact done exactly the same thing. It is more expensive than rubbing alcohol, but Everclear and Diesel branded 190 proof alcohol for consumption is 95% pure and makes for an acceptable sanitizer. I use 75% alcohol and 25% Aloe gel to make hand sanitizer. I add 10 drops of tea tree oil just because someone said to, and a couple of drops of lemon oil for smell.
    " IF " He ( RowdyScamp ) was " serious " .....then why did He end His comment with the " " emoji ????? .......... just sayin ..... and as always " respectful comments are appreciated ......Mike

Spyder Garage

probably not a joke. Everclear is 95% ethanol. For sanitization, your "hand wash" needs to be greater than 60% of some kind of alcohol. Mix it wil aloe gel add a few drops of tea tree oil and you are good to go! Just watch your proportions when mixing so the final product is 60% or greater.

Tea tree oil is antibacterial...
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic Dark

Spyder Garage

Default 200 Proof Food Grade Ethanol

I'm not sure how they get 200 Proof alcohol. I was taught in chemistry class that ~95% was as pure as one can get ethanol using a standard distillation process.

Ethanol forms with water at normal pressure a binary azeotrope, which contains 95.6 percent ethanol and 4.4 percent water.

Azeotrope - Encyclopedia of Alcohol

http://www.alcohol-encyclopedia.eu/A...zeotrope.shtml

Oh well - -

This stuff would make a LOT of sanitizer:

https://www.laballey.com/products/bu...grade-tax-paid

Good luck!

Joe T.
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joe T. View Post
    I'm not sure how they get 200 Proof alcohol. I was taught in chemistry class that ~95% was as pure as one can get ethanol using a standard distillation process.

Ethanol forms with water at normal pressure a binary azeotrope, which contains 95.6 percent ethanol and 4.4 percent water.

Azeotrope - Encyclopedia of Alcohol

http://www.alcohol-encyclopedia.eu/A...zeotrope.shtml

Oh well - -

This stuff would make a LOT of sanitizer:

https://www.laballey.com/products/bu...grade-tax-paid

Good luck!

Joe T.
    Thanks so much for this info ...... annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd it Only costs $ 90.00 per Gal ..................Mike

Spyder Garage

heating above the boiling point of ethanol and below that of water in a capped environment with the vapor going thru cooling tubes condenses out the ethanol. LOL home distillation!
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic Dark

Spyder Garage

" IF " He ( RowdyScamp ) was " serious " .....then why did He end His comment with the " " emoji ????? .......... just sayin ..... and as always " respectful comments are appreciated ......Mike
    My apologies.

I should not have used the emoji; it was in reference to my term "food grade sanitizer".

And yes, I still have my bottle of 190 proof, in case of emergency. It is stronger than the 70% isopropyl alcohol that I normally keep on hand.
    2018 RT , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Thanks so much for this info ...... annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd it Only costs $ 90.00 per Gal ..................Mike
    Aren't you worth it!!!

Most of that is tax - no kidding.

You can get the denatured for a lot less. They have at least 190 Proof.

Joe T.
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -