Spyder Garage

Default 2020 RT limited sound system

Question on the sound system on the new RT.

Penny has all her favorite classical tunes on an 8gb memory stick that plays in her Nissan Murano and my Ford Fusion by just plugging it into an open USB port.

Plugging it into the USB port on the new RT when switched to Auxillary doesn’t result in music.

The flash drive was loaded from the iTunes file on my iMac. Is there something else I need to do or will she be forever tuneless?

I might add that her iphone is just used as a phone and not as a music device. It is not connected via Bluetooth to any other device.

Pennyrick
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-19-2020 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Title - sysrem
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

I'm just getting through BRP Connect on my 2020 RT, but I'm fairly sure if you don't bluetooth the music, you are out of luck. I opted to keep my music on my iPhone and bluetooth it directly to my Sena and not use BRP Connect. Just my personal preference.
    2020 RTL SE6 Asphalt Grey
    2014 RT SE6, Pearl White 57k (2014-2020)
    2008 GS Premier 17k (2012-2014)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pennyrick View Post
    Question on the sound system on the new RT.

Penny has all her favorite classical tunes on an 8gb memory stick that plays in her Nissan Murano and my Ford Fusion by just plugging it into an open USB port.

Plugging it into the USB port on the new RT when switched to Auxillary doesn’t result in music.

The flash drive was loaded from the iTunes file on my iMac. Is there something else I need to do or will she be forever tuneless?

I might add that her iphone is just used as a phone and not as a music device. It is not connected via Bluetooth to any other device.

Pennyrick
    USB sticks do not work on 18 and newer dash. You have to pair a phone to bike and listen thru bluetooth. Other music devices will work on the round aux cable but will only have volume control that works on the handlebars.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the responses. I loaded her tunes into the iPhone and connected it with
    Brp connect, paired the units and now she has her music back.

Pennyrick
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Default mp3 player

I had an old iphone 4s for an mp3 player on my 2014. I think I will just buy a cheap rechargeable MP3 player on amazon and migrate my music for my 2020.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic Dark

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The new spiders also have a phone jack that you can connect an MP4 player and the joystick controls volume and skipping to next. You set the radio to AUX. As already mentioned, the USB in the front is for a smartphone, the rear is for power only.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Hi
    I have a 2020 RTL and a Astell and Kern AK70 MK11 Mp3 bluetooth player, will this work on my bike? My phone is a android plus it can only hold 128gb of music, my player holds 512gb so it's a no brainer which one i would prefer to use.

Plus I have zero use for the phone when Im riding.

Another question is the bluetooth on the 2020> APTX Bluetooth?

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Escorial View Post
    Hi
    I have a 2020 RTL and a Astell and Kern AK70 MK11 Mp3 bluetooth player, will this work on my bike? My phone is a android plus it can only hold 128gb of music, my player holds 512gb so it's a no brainer which one i would prefer to use.
    It should. I don't find user manuals or specs on their website so can't determine it for sure. Boy, I sure hope you got it for a give away price! A&K equipment looks to be the creme de la creme of audio equipment. Using it on the Spyder strikes me kind of like using a dump truck to carry a millionaire bride to her wedding!!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I put an old Android phone in my trunk hooked to the USB there for powering. Its Bluetooth connects to the 2021 RTL WITHOUT BRP Connect and allows forward/back and volume control. I have the player on the phone set up to plat by alphabetical order, which is pretty random. I gets the MP3s from a micro SD in it. A good use for an old phone (no SIM card in it). I taped a foam neoprene can cozy to the front of the trunk and keep it in there out of the way.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pidjones View Post
    I put an old Android phone in my trunk hooked to the USB there for powering. Its Bluetooth connects to the 2021 RTL WITHOUT BRP Connect and allows forward/back and volume control. I have the player on the phone set up to plat by alphabetical order, which is pretty random. I gets the MP3s from a micro SD in it. A good use for an old phone (no SIM card in it). I taped a foam neoprene can cozy to the front of the trunk and keep it in there out of the way.
    I do this as well by mounting the old phone up front in a Ram mount. That also provides a good solution for monitoring TPMS & adjusting Sena functions without draining the primary phone's battery.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I put an old Android phone in my trunk hooked to the USB there for powering. Its Bluetooth connects to the 2021 RTL WITHOUT BRP Connect
    How did you manage to stop BRP Connect getting involved? It seems to me that every time we have tried pairing a phone (or anything) to the bike, BRP Connect rears its ugly head!

Spyder Garage

Don't load the app to the phone.
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Can you stop the mp3 player from playing from the bike controls if you get tired of listening to it and restart it later.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sagebrush View Post
    Can you stop the mp3 player from playing from the bike controls if you get tired of listening to it and restart it later.
    Press the play/pause button in the center of the control rosette right in front of your crotch.
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

When I initially tried to connect my iPhone with my 2020 RTL and Neotech II SRL, I followed the Can Am directions, which included using Bluetooth and the USB connector in the glove box.
    I won't go through all the iterations and ranting, but after some help from Sena connecting my Neotech II SRL and iPhone 2020 SE, I can use my iPhone as a phone, listen to the Can Am FM radio and listen to iHeart radio on the iPhone, all while having a display of radio data system information or caller ID on the right side of my display.
    In order to be able to use my iPhone as an iPhone while riding, I only use the Bluetooth connection and plug the cell phone into the rear trunk USB to keep the battery charged while riding.
    To get rid of all the "bugs", I had to follow the following steps:
    1. Do a Factory Reset//Delete all pairings on cell phone, SRL, and Can Am
    2. Pair cell phone to SRL using first cell phone pairing on SRL
    3. Pair Can Am to SRL using second cell phone pairing on SRL
    And then things started working as described above (most of the time ). This set-up uses the Can Am as sort of a switchboard. When it works as intended, the volume level of the audio feeds (Can Am radio and cell phone music/telephone calls/Google map navigation/etc. is slightly higher, which helps when travelling at highway speeds.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I don't care how advanced and wonderful advocates claim that Bluetooth is. It ain't! Yesterday I could not get my Samsung phone to connect to my daughter's LG phone so I was unable to transfer a photo to her phone. Her phone saw and paired to mine, but mine would not show hers in the list of nearby devices even after I restarted BT a couple of times and rebooted my phone. This was even though they were next to each other on my desk! But it connects quite nicely to my Nissan Maxima system. And it connects to my Samsung TV just fine! But it won't connect to my Lenovo laptop.

It ain't no wonder so many owners have trouble connecting to BRP Connect. The problem isn't BRP Connnect per se, it's inconsistencies in the implementation of BT protocols, by both BRP and phone makers. At least that's the way I see it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)